main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

was it your first?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by obi-rob-kenobi4, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoxiousTed

NoxiousTed Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2005
    You also asked how people felt about it. People are telling you their thoughts on it, PER YOUR FIRST POST. Now take peoples opinions on your original question like a man.

2. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    Read his posts in the PS3 board. Obvious fanboy.

3. NoxiousTed

NoxiousTed Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2005
    PS3 fanboy? Cripes, next thing you know, he's gonna use his PS3 to consummate his imaginary marriage. And then make a thread about it.

4. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah I use my Xbox 360 to watch DVDs and HD-DVDs. I don't see any point in buying a dedicated DVD player, it's just an extra plug I can do without.

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    My previous TV had a DVD player built into it. When I bought my new (and larger) TV, instead of buying a new DVD player too, I just used my 360. Saves money and space.

6. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    I can see that for people who have less space or simply want a minimalist approach.

Considering that I have my PC, my DVD/VCR combo, my plain DVD, and a PS2 with the ability to play DVDs it does get a little too much. Oh well. I still am of the mindset that a game machine needs to play games first and foremost.

Though I was tempted to import a Panasonic Q to shut up the college guys who lambasted the Gamecube for not having a DVD drive. Then I saw my $20 DVD drive sitting next to it and shrugged

7. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Doing our part for the environment.

How does that mindset help? It's not like we really have a choice. Two out of the three current consoles have inbuilt DVD/Blu-ray players whether you like it or not. You might as well use them.

And they hardly impact on gaming quality, compared to the only "dedicated" console there is at the moment.

8. Ewok-Kenobi

Ewok-Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2006
    well, my first was my ps1, i lost my sony virginity that day. And i used it for playing computer games, with it being a games console and all.

9. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
    My playstation never played computer games.

10. clonetrooper1

clonetrooper1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2005
    I think they music from computer games. I tried it with age of empires ages back :p

11. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Computer Games and Video Games are the same thing.

12. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    if you mean what i think you mean, AFAIK you've been able to put game cds in cd players and play the music for eons, The first one or two tracks would hiss like Soontir-Fel in a Family Guy episode, but the others would be music.

Although I've only tested this theory on the Jedi Knight games...

13. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

My first DVD player is a gaming system I also use to play World of Warcraft on.

14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Not every game, they have to be set up that way.

15. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Aye I only tried Jedi Knight, and I think X-wing Vs Tie for that, maybe... It was all so long ago

16. Jedi-knight-25

Jedi-knight-25 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2007
    The PS2 was my first CD syestem and it was my first DVD player.

17. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    The DS was my first system since SNES to actually get me spending hours at a time playing and losing sleep. The Wii is my first motion sensor controlled console that got me putting video games back into my budget. Not that the GC didn't, but the Wii is way too fun.

18. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Yep, my Ps2 was my first DVD player. At that point in time, VHS was still mighty prevalent, and I had at least 3 VHS players that worked mighty well at my parent's place. Good quality-standalone DVD players were still not highly affordable, and I wasn't gonna be able to afford a DVD player AND a gaming unit, so when the PS2 came out with DVD-playability...Well it definitely factored into my decision to purchase one at launch. And ya know what? Compared to what i was used to, the DVD side of the PS2 never disappointed me. Sure a dedicated DVD player is preferable AND will give you a better experience, but as a stop-gap until i could afford my current technological lifestyle, the PS2 was a great little dvd player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.