main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Was Jango Fett's death planned like Dooku's?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AstroDroid88, Jul 8, 2016.

1. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    This thought came to me: was Jango's death at the Battle of Geonosis planned like Dooku's was by Palpatine? Was it necessary to kill him off early on? I for one, am greatly disappointed that Mace killed him in the arena. Would have been interesting to see his character progress throughout the Clone Wars. He would have been an easy spy for the CIS. All he would have to do is get a suit of clone trooper armor and bam, he's in.

What do you think? Do you think Jango's death was necessary or could have been prevented?

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I highly doubt there was any planning involved. In my opinion, Sidious didn't care one way or another for Jango's role, just being a hired gun

Aside from that, planning Fett's death would likely be something Sidious would share with Dooku. And Dooku seemed outright shocked when he saw Jango killed

SlashMan likes this.
  3. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Even if captured, Jango wouldn't be much of an asset. The information he was given seemed to be minimal for this reason. Jango's job was already completed at this point, and his death was just an unforeseen circumstance.

Had Jango been at all set up, I don't think Boba would ever have worked for the Empire.

jakobitis89 likes this.
  4. dsematsu

dsematsu Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2013
    Jango's role has always baffled me. He doesn't seem like the weak minded type so had Obi-Wan captured him before Geonosis what would Palp's have done? Obi-Wan had to find Geonosis or else Palp's plan couldn't begin. Palp's plan.... always hurts my brain thinking about what it could possibly have been.

AstroDroid88 likes this.
  5. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    This. He is a tougher villain than people give him credit for. I just wonder how much he actually knew of the Dark Lord's master plan. He probably knew very little. Like Seagoat said, he was only a hired gun. Nothing more. Maybe he could have been more if he didn't get slain so early on in the Clone Wars.

I too, wonder what his role might have been if he stayed alive longer and what other's he could have changed

6. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Best death in the whole series!

DarthCricketer likes this.
  7. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    The only use Jango had was to serve as clone-daddy to the Republic army. That is literally it. There is nothing he said or did to suggest that he even suspected that Tyrannus was actually working on someone else's orders. If he hadn't died, he probably would have been employed for a couple of assassinations or kidnappings during the war but as an asset he was no more than a hired gun.

SlashMan and DarthCricketer like this.
  8. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Well Dooku was surprised he was killed so I guess he was important to them in some way and it wasn't planned like Dooku's.

9. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I don't think they had anything planned for him other than being the daddy of the Clone Army and try to kill Padmé. Dooku was shocked because he thought the bounty hunter was smarter than to charge a Jedi swinging a lightsaber.

10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Jango tried to jet pack away from Mace, but it malfunctioned.

11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    For the record, Mace was pretty surprised as well

I think it was one of the AOTC novelizations, but old EU establish that Mace had a rare ability called Shatterpoint, where through the Force he could sense his opponent's greatest weak point. Jango's was his jet pack

Mace only planned on incapacitating him. probably to take him prisoner and find out about the clone army, so he raised his lightsaber strike, anticipating him to jetpack up so he may have been able to just sever a leg. Of course, it then didn't work thanks to being trampled by the Reek

Or maybe that was just a fanon theory I read once. Either way, it's in my headcanon

AstroDroid88 likes this.
  12. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    If Jango's death was planned why didn't Dooku take him out before hand?, It would have been a lot easier for the Sith that way, Especially if he knew there ultimate plan. The Sith wouldn't want to keep him alive so the Jedi could get hold of him and start asking questions. That's why I think it was unplanned, he (as most people here have said) was more of a hired gun, Just there to do there dirty work without them giving him to much information. Plus it was Jango who jet-packed down to take Mace on one on one, He could easily have stayed where he was and been safe and out of harms way. His death was probably more to do with his pride being hurt by Mace holding a lightsaber to his throat then anything else.

13. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    I am sure if Jango had survived his fight with Mace (or not even have swooped down there in the first place) they Separatists would still have found use for his skills as a bounty hunter. But when he got Maced they just hired the new best Bounty Hunter around - Cad Bane.

14. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    In Legends, Jango hated the Jedi with a passion because the Jedi were tricked into wiping out Jango's Mandalorian Clan/Faction. He knew about the order 66 plan & was thrilled that his Mandalorian "children" will finally destroy the Jedi once & for all.

He was still an item for the Sith.

15. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    [​IMG]

That's seriously just dumb. Assuming Dooku himself actually knew about it (we have no evidence he does) why would he tell such a massive great super secret part of the plan to a man with very few scruples whose whole M.O. is working for people with lots and lots of money? You wouldn't need to tell him that his clones would kill the Jedi, he's a mercenary, just give him a wad of cash and he'll let you have a blood sample to clone from. And even IF you did decide to tell him the clones would be involved you would have to be completely idiotic to tell him the exact way it's going to happen nearly twenty years before it's even going to be an option...

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Dooku knew about Order 66. This was covered in "The Clone Wars: Fugitive", when he checks to be sure that the biochip which will enable Order 66 to be carried out, is still unknown to the Jedi. Jango himself may or may not know about it. The Clonetroopers don't know about it until Fives malfunction and Tup found out about it and then told Rex, who managed to convince Wolff and Gregor that it was true and they have their chips removed.

17. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    Why would Jango know it though? There is absolutely no reason for anyone who DOES know to tell him, and no plausible way for him to just stumble across such an important secret. If he DID know then it would only make it more likely his death was planned (even if Jango getting Maced on Geonosis wasn't plan A) as that's far, far too big a deal to be trusted to a mercenary.

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If he knew, that doesn't mean that his death was planned. You can even tell that it wasn't planned by the look on Dooku's face.

At :58 seconds, Dooku had a totally surprised expression on his face. As to Jango knowing, he could have been told what the true purpose of creating clones for the enemy was about.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the EU, Jango hates Jedi - which is why he's willing to team up with ex-Jedi Dooku, who seeks to destroy them. "The clone army supposedly for the Jedi will be used to destroy the Jedi" was one of the factors that convinced him to sign on in the first place.

I could see something like that applying in the newcanon as well.

20. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    Sure it's possible, not denying that. But Jango is a bounty hunter/mercenary. Just offer him enough cash and he'll sign on regardless. And telling him that the clones are going to destroy the Jedi is really, really risky. There's about 20 years to go before that part of the plan comes to fruition, twenty years for a dude whose whole lifestyle revolves around doing dirty deeds for cash to keep his mouth shut. It's possible they DID tell him, but if they did then I can't see Sidious not having plans to dispose of him once his risk outweighs his usefulness - i.e., the clone army is accepted by the republic.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Roughly 13 years lapse between Jango signing on (immediately before/during TPM) and Order 66 (ROTS).

We've seen that Jango's the guy good at keeping other people's mouths shut when they're about to reveal something important (Zam Wesell) - maybe that's indicative of he himself being good at keeping things secret?

22. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    He might very well be, and maybe he would have kept it to himself but can you honestly see Sidious taking that chance? I know I can't.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It took him 13 years to kill Nute Gunray - just because he kills those who Know Too Much, doesn't mean he has to do so quickly.

24. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    Nute was one of the heads of the Trade Federation, Jango is only a Bounty Hunter. A good one, but that's by the by. In any case, I don't think that Jango's death WAS planned but neither do I think it was in any way a real setback at the time it occurred. They had what they needed from him already.

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It wasn't just his genes that were useful - it was his skills as well. He trained the Advanced Recon Commandos - and had he not been lost somehow (perhaps using someone other than him to hire and supervise Zam, and then to meet Kenobi on Kamino and lead him to Geonosis) then he could have continued to train ARCs as they continued to approach maturity.

Still, losing him wasn't a big setback to Palpatine's plots, it is true.