main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Lucas going to turn Luke to the Dark Side?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Apr 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Back when Lucas planned on doing 9 movies was the idea going to be to have Luke take Vader's place at the end of Jedi? Then in movies 7-9 it would be Leia or someone else trying to bring Luke back? Has lucas ever said what 7-9 would have been? It just seems looking at Empire that it was going to set up Luke for a fall. He doesn't listen to Yoda and heads to Cloud City. He goes in to the 'cave' and feels. It seems the Luke from "Empire" is a lot different then in "Jedi". Maybe he just read up on the Force.

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I'm not sure if Luke was ever intended to fall to the dark side. I think parallels needed to be shown and that's why he acted the way he did.

3. FogeyKenobi

FogeyKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2003
    Not that I'm an authority or anything, but I don't think Lucas was going to have Luke turn to the dark side.

Lucas has said that the story was always about Anakin's tragedy and redemption.

4. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    Your right. If Luke turned and 7-9 was about him coming back, that would get kind of old. Seeing Anakin turn, then Luke. The movies, how they are now, don't seem to need a 7-9 for a story. Lucas said that all six is one BIG LONG movie. I can see that. Anakin becomes a Jedi, has kids, falls, son helps me, freedom returns. But I can't see how a 7-9 could fit in. I know you could have Luke's kids but you need more than his kids to tie them all in as ONE BIG LONG Movie.

5. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    Did Lucas say he NEVER said he wanted to do 9? I thought I read that but in my old Starlog. The 10th year of Star Wars issue. They quote Lucas' as saying he will do 9. If you guys don't have the issue try to get it. Its great and you can ever tell that some of ideas back then are alive today in the new movies

6. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Originally there were to be 9 episodes but Lucas changed his mind, made Luke and Leia brother and sister, and condensed 7-9 into ROTJ.

7. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I doubt if GL was going to have Luke turn. That's why he put Yoda and Ben in the movies so that he could be warned about the dark path. Even though Anakin's redemption isn't mentioned until Luke declares to Kenobi that there was still good in him, the story is about Anakin Skywalker, and had Vader and the Emperor suceeded in turning Luke to the dark side, Vader would have had no redemption and the prophecy of bringing balance to the Force would have never been fulfilled.

8. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    If you read what was preliminarily planned for 7-9, you'd agree that it was going to be a hell of a stretch to make it last 3 films!

Basically it would have been a LOOONNNGGG ROTJ with a Sister from across the other side of the galaxy turning up instead of Leia. The Story conferences (according to Kurtz) were not that extensive.

My Own opinion is we'd have seen a lot more Dark Lords of the Sith.

UKS

9. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    No he wasn't

10. DarthRandolph

DarthRandolph Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2003
    most likely he was not intending have luke turn. after all part of the story is about luke reisting the lure of the dark side.

11. _Xanatos_

_Xanatos_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    Luke is the hero!

12. Darth_Hawkeye

Darth_Hawkeye Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2002
    Maybe Luke did turn.

After all, he was told "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

And we know he did start down that path. Granted, "dominating your destiny" does not necessarily mean a full turn to the dark side. But consider this ...

In ROTJ, Palpy tells Luke to use his hatred to defeat Vader and take his father's place at his side. Then his "journey to the dark side would be complete." During the course of the battle, Vader reads Luke's mind to learn the true identity of Leia. This enrages Luke. Consumed with HATE he lunges at Vader, and basically lays the smack down.

Until that point, Luke was losing the fight. At best it was a draw. It wasn't until Luke gave in to his rage that he dominates Vader.

Now I'm sure Lucas would say this isn't true. Surely his hero would not end the trilogy on the dark side. But I say the evidence is there to indicate Luke had crossed over, used his hate to increase his power.

But then the movie ends, so we never get to see Luke use his dark powers any longer.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I believe it was mentioned somewhere that one concept that may have been explored in the sequel trilogy would have been "defeating the darkside from within" ala Luke in the Dark Empire comic series, though I don't think we were ever told if it would have been Luke or another character (such as the supposed Episode 3 character who would have returned), though, I'll note, it's possible Lucas is addressing the concept with Dooku in the PT.

14. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    As a matter of fact, I think possibly from The Annotated Screenplays, they did toy with the scenario of Luke joining the Dark Side and symbolically putting on Vader's helmet.

But they felt this would be too depressing of an end to the trilogy.

15. byrdnest

byrdnest Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2001
    knowing how joseph campbell obviously influened lucas in the ot, luke was never going to turn evil. it was his story, his hero's journey. never about luke and the dark side.

16. DarthDork

DarthDork Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2002
    My favourite rumour I ever heard, waaaay befo da prequals, was to have a female Sith lord, played by Sybil Danning, seduce Luke to the dark side.

17. padawanskywalker

padawanskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    Yes he will turn to the darkside and become Lord Skywalker

18. Cal_Omas

Cal_Omas Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 17, 2003
    No, I don't think so.
    And yes, GL has said a little about what 7-9 would be about. It would be about the New Republic rebuilding the galaxy and Luke training new Jedi. Hmmm...sounds familiar, no?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.