main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Det, MI Was Luke having a nightmare?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Idgie, Mar 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    I have a question.

That scene in ESB,where Luke was in the bacta tank,does anyone else think that may have been about Luke having a nightmare?

In that tank,he looks like he's having these hurky-jerky movements,which could be seen as the same kind of jerky movements that people have when they have a bad dream.And then there's that look on his face when he does regain conciousness.It's like a look of terror or something,waking up to find oneself immersed in water is sometimes associated with nightmares.

I know it's not canon,but in the novelization of ESB in that scene,Luke was babbling like he was when Han found him in the snow.

I also know that the bacta tank is supposed to be symbolic of the womb,and that it goes along with the other death/rebirth symbols we see with Luke in that movie.But,I think that the idea of a nightmare sequence also ties in with the visions and dreams that Luke has in the story.It also makes a good counterpoint to his having just seen Obi-Wan's ghost which would be like a good dream,and a lead-in to the more disturbing visions he'll have later on.

2. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2002
    That may very well be true, Idgie. I always thought that his reaction was more or less Luke coming out of a Coma??, maybe. You know, like somenone who has been in a traumatic experience and jerks back in to consciousness, but I never really thought that it may have been a dream he was having, a very good thought to ponder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.