main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Luke usning any force ability to disable ATAT walker?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by VadersVacuumSeal, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VadersVacuumSeal

VadersVacuumSeal Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2004
    On Hoth during the battle in the snow, Luke was able to single handedly destroy an entire AT-AT walker. I've always wondered - was the Force in play here or not? What are the odds of Luke surviving? Pretty slim I should think.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Well, you do make a great point.

Luke's landing from that high up absolutely needed some help from the force.

But, if you look at Luke's extension gun compared to Padme's in TPM, it doesn't seem odd for him to elevate to that height. He used a charge to throw into the engine, after cutting the bottom open with a lightsaber.

I do find it odd that nothing blew up in his face when he sliced the bottom open with his blade, but that's just me.

But I'm sure he used the force to guide the charge into the engine and pad his fall, so yes, I'm sure he, perhaps, unknowingly used advanced Force Powers.

3. VadersVacuumSeal

Jul 8, 2004
    That's expressly what I meant - here's Luke with nearly neonatal Force skills developed and he 'accidentially' destroys one of the premire landing fighting vehicles the Empire has to offer.

Prior to that, Luke covers ROGUE2 in entrapping a walker's legs in harpoon cabling. On the other hand, all of the other speeders of ROGUE SQUAD on Hoth are annihilated - virtually no success unless Luke was involved directly.

All of this accomplished by an untrained Force-sensative? Geez. I'd like to see what Obi-wan would have done out there(in his prime, of course.)

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not sure if the force was at play exactly- the snow could have softened the blow from that height (and he didn seemed kinda dazed still when we next see him as the falcon takes off).

5. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I don't think the Force was at play, I mean the snow does soften landings right? I live in Florida, so I honostly don't know if snow hurts when you hit it from a free fall.

6. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    It doesn't seem that he used the Force on the At-At Walker.

7. VadersVacuumSeal

Jul 8, 2004
    Alright, if Luke did not use the Force, then the only other conclusion to be drawn was the disperity between using devices/weapons to achieve against impossible odds versus using the Force for the same results.

He still had not achieved the spiritual break through whcih eludes 99.99% of the people on earth.

8. KMG-365

KMG-365 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2005
    I live in Florida, so I honostly don't know if snow hurts when you hit it from a free fall.

I suppose it depends on how much of it was powder. I caught a mean backside edge snow boarding last February and broke my arm. And that was just me falling over, not dropping from the height of an AT-AT.

Since the Rebels were able to run pretty easily during the retreat, I'm guessing that whatever snow was there was extremely compacted. If not frozen solid.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Though keep in mind you ahve to factor in the effect the AT-AT's walking through it would cause- that'd break up the surface a bit between the compacted areas.

10. Darth-Davo

Darth-Davo Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2002
    Could in theory, an AT AT walker be pushed over with the force seeing as yoda would say 'its only different in your mind'.

11. KMG-365

KMG-365 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2005
    I suppose, in theory, that it could. Take a look at how effortlessly Dooku toppled the tower on Geonosis. Unfortunately for Luke, he wasn't at a point where he would have been able to do that.

12. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    i always thought it was really cool the way luke took on one of those all by himself. he really improvised too since he had no harpoon gunner and all. what's neat also is that in dark empire II luke just walks up to an at at and deflects all of it's blasts back at it, while shielding himself in the force. top notch stuff, and more continuity...

or is it the first dark empire?

13. VadersVacuumSeal

Jul 8, 2004
    I agree, Axle.
    Luke should have been killed by a near-by walker or some snow troopers..or STEPPED on...but he survived.

The Force survived Luke to live another day - like obiwan said, the Force partially guides your actions; "luke, trust your feelings" afterwhich, Luke destroy gun turrents on the Death Star one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.