main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Mace really nessesary?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by _Darth__Vader_, Nov 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Darth__Vader_

_Darth__Vader_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2002
    When Sam Jackson was first announced as a major Jedi in the SW universe, I thought how cool his character was going to be, but since TPM Mace Windu has really done nothing of any importance. Some might say that he killed Jango, but IMO that should of been Obi-Wans job. The Mace/Jango battle was a real non-event, it would of mean't so much more if GL had made Obi-Wan finish the job he started.
    Mace is given a purple lightsabre...why? Just because Sam asked for it. The Mace character seems just written to appease Sam Jackson. I know in the Original screenplay of Star Wars, Mace Windu was a great Jedi but so far he has been totally non-essential to the story.

2. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Neither was Chewbacca. You might argue he was, but he really didn't do anything of importaince in the OT.

3. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    You're right; he serves no purpose. He could be totally written out of the first two episodes and it wouldn't matter; his lines could just have easily been said by any of the other Jedi.

4. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    Please don't ignore my Chewbacca comment. It irritates me 8-}

5. _Darth__Vader_

Nov 15, 2002
    ST, Chewy was a sidekick in the same tradition as the old B-movies that GL loves so much, I think in a strange kind of way he was a much more defined character than Mace Windu. My main gripe with Windu was that he was made kill Jango which should not have been his job. Sought of like a secondary character was given the job of doing what a main character should of done. How many people would of been PO'd if Ki-Adi (I think that's how it's spelled) killed Jango? but we accept Mace just because it's Sam Jackson and he's a bad ass.

6. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    Yes, Chewbacca was a sidekick, but did he really do anything in the story? The OT could have worked without Han needing a co-pilot. Most of the time Chewy just followed the main characters around and shot at some Stormtroopers. Mace is the same way, only in different terms.

7. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    What about Lando? He's about as necessary as Lobot yet he returns for some odd reason and gets to blow up the death star....

If there was no Chewbacca we wouldn't miss him but as far as a character it was humor to think that Han Solo had a giant dog as a co-pilot.

I think Mace Windu shows that there were other great Jedi masters besides Yoda during the Republic. Mace gives us an idea of what Luke may have become after RotJ. You couldn't imagine Luke being like Yoda because of them being such different species. Obi Wan couldn't play this part because he has a different role to play. Besides I think that Vader will kill Mace and this will underline just how powerful Vader is. The fact that you'll think ok Mace took Jango easily and Vader took Mace so that makes Vader....one bad Jedi!

Besides I like that there is a more physical no bs counterpart to Yoda within the council.

8. _Darth__Vader_

Nov 15, 2002
    Poor Chewy, without him we wouldn't have had the walking carpet line or laugh it up fuzzball. 8-}
    The OT could of survived without Chewbacca but his character felt essential. (Look at all the anger about his death in the EU).Mace to me should of only been a background character like green octopus head Jedi in the Geonosis arena.

edit: I couldn't imagine Luke being like Mace, I think he would of turned out more like Obi-Wan.

9. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    I'm not ignoring you ST-TPM-ASF-TNE. It's just that what you said is a moot point. Chewie had lots to do throughout the 3 films. He co-piloted the ship, he was the only one that could repair the falcon with Han and Lando. Not only that, he was Hans sidekick; they were a team. When Han went in the carbonite; Chewie was visibly moved. When in Episode 3, he at last met up with Han again after being involved in his rescue; it warmed my heart to see to the two of them re-united and hugging each other. Now, does Mace Windu have any where near this much to do in the new films? No, to me, he has no point. He wears Jedi robes, he has a glum expression on his face, he says things like "no we will not train him", and, "you believe its this boy?". Then, in AOTC, he waves his saber around like Samuel L Jackson the "Badass". Its kind of like Al Pacino getting the part of a Jedi in ROTJ. He'd have his own style and act like a gangster. Perhaps after slaying Jabba he might inform Obi wan he "made him an offer he couldnt refuse", because he is the godfather! Its laughable.

10. THE_DOODE

THE_DOODE Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Mace will have a bigger part in episode 3 and make you all believers

11. _Darth__Vader_

Nov 15, 2002
    Mace's only real role to play in EP:III is to be the only high ranking Jedi council member to die.

12. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    I'm not ignoring you ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Call me ST. It's less strainful ;)
    You're the first person to say they weren't ignoring me. Usually when people ignore me, and I speak up about it, they just ignore me some more 8-} :D

It's just that what you said is a moot point. Chewie had lots to do throughout the 3 films. He co-piloted the ship, he was the only one that could repair the falcon with Han and Lando.

Yes, but as I said, Han didn't need a co-pilot. Chewbacca was just there. He didn't seem to do any importaint moves.

As for the "repairing the Falcon part", he didn't really help much. In TESB he never seemed to repair anything, except at the beginning when he's working on it, but again, that could have just as easily been Han's work off screen or such. But later on he doesn't seem to fix what's wrong with the ship. And in the end, R2 helps get the group into hyperspace.

Not only that, he was Hans sidekick; they were a team. When Han went in the trash compactor; Chewie was visibly moved. When in Episode 3, he at last met up with Han again after being involved in his rescue; it warmed my heart to see to the two of them re-united and hugging each other

I felt the same way when they hugged. But you could have gotten the same effect with Luke meeting Han again.

Now, does Mace Windu have any where near this much to do in the new films? No, to me, he has no point. He wears Jedi robes, he has a glum expression on his face, he says things like "no we will not train him", and, "you believe its this boy?". Then, in AOTC, he waves his saber around like Samuel L Jackson the "Badass"

Chewbacca follows the main characters around and roars. He has so much more to do than Mace 8-} :D

I'm not badmouthing Chewy. I love the furry guy. But I love the character of Mace as well, which is why I'll defend him :D

13. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Ok I'll condense it into one sentence for you all to focus on.

Mace Windu is the Jedi Master that Vader will kill that will prove to us that Vader is the ultimate Jedi.

Lucas is establishing how deadly Mace is mainly so he can show us how much more deadlier Vader was. Trust me Mace will die at the hands of Vader.

14. _Darth__Vader_

Nov 15, 2002
    Mace's character should have been more fleshed out rather than just being fodder for Vader's lightsabre, and that doesn't really make him anymore powerful it just makes Obi-Wan look more powerful, maybe that's Mace's purpose.

edit: SDJ , explain how Lucas has proved that Mace is deadly. He got a lucky hit with his lightsabre after Jango had been trampled by the Reek.

15. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    GL would rather have wasted two thirds of TPM on Jar Jar Binks; rather than develop the character of Mace. The way in which he totally forgot about Jar Jar in episode II; who's to say that Mace won't only be in III for 5 minutes?

16. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    The other thing is: The name, "Mace Windu", is rubbish. Its a discarded name, that didn't make it into the orignal movies, because it wasn't good enough. Lucas used rubbishy names like that in his early drafts, but was advised by friends to change them because no-one would take them seriously. He's just using left over ideas for these prequels, that weren't good enough to get into the original movies.

17. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    A real swordsmen takes his prey out quickly. I remember one highly acclaimed samurai movie where the very proficient killer eliminated his opponents in a blink of an eye. The name of that film escapes me at the moment, but I do feel that Lucas was inspired by this film in this instance.

Mace knew what he was doing. He blocked several laser blasts and with grim determination he closed the distance and ended the fight with a no-nonsense beheading. You call that luck? Luck is how Boba Fett was dispatched in RotJ. So please try again.

18. T_H_X_SKYWALKER

T_H_X_SKYWALKER Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2002
    When you get down to it, a lot of the good
    characters in Star Wars you don't need IMO:

1.Chewbacca {I'm here for you ST}

2. Yoda {I love this guy!}

3. C-3PO

4. Tarkin

5. Qui-Gon Jinn

T_H_X :D

19. _Darth__Vader_

Nov 15, 2002
    Mace took out an injured Bounty Hunter. A Jedi Master against a "clumsy, random" blaster. That wasn't luck, it was murder. Jango didn't stand a chance.
    Obi-Wan killing Maul showed how deadly he could be. Mace killing a half trampled Jango proved nothing.

edit: You don't need Yoda? WTF, Who would of trained Luke?

20. T_H_X_SKYWALKER

Aug 10, 2002
    "You don't need Yoda? WTF, Who would of trained Luke? "

The spirit of Obi-Wan

21. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    I wouldn't say he forgot about Binks, he was reacting to the huge backlash. As for Mace, he's just a very powerful jedi. He runs the thing with Yoda. Sure he's done nothing of super importance but he's been there to do Anakin's test and talk to Yoda and Obi-Wan. It's better than just having Yoda all the time.

22. _Darth__Vader_

Nov 15, 2002
    If the spirit of Obi-Wan could train Luke then what stops Palpatine's spirit from training more Sith?
    This is only speculation but I think you need to be in psychical form to train Jedi.

23. Hell_Sith666

Hell_Sith666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2002
    I hope SLJ tells George to get help writing and directing EP:III, because it seems Jackson is the only one Lucas takes orders from nowadays.

24. T_H_X_SKYWALKER

Aug 10, 2002
    "This is only speculation but I think you need to be in psychical form to train Jedi."

Well all Yoda did was tell Luke what he needed to do. If Luke can talk with Ben,
    don't you think Ben could train Luke,
    just like Yoda did?

25. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    exactly, Hell_Sith.

The dumb side clouds everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.