main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Was making Korr a Man, the right choice?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Feb 4, 2013.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    You had several options of what race and sex the character of Korr was in Jed Knights Jedi Academy game.

Though in canon, Korr became Jaden Korr, a human male.

But do you think this was the right choice?

Would it have been better for Korr to have been a male alien?

Or even female?

Or perhaps instead of a white man, a black man instead?

What do you think?

And whatever your opinion is, what is your reasoning for said opinion?

2. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Idk why they didn't just make him a woman, it wouldn't have changed his character in the slightest while still paying lip service to diversity. But since it does make no difference, it's not really worth getting fussed about.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    -shrugs-

I'm not sure there's a wrong choice here.

Personally, I went with a Rodian male, IIRC. Cuz I thought he looked the coolest.

The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.
  4. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    To be perfectly honest, I would have made him a white male too. But only, ONLY because of the white male human model that looks like Kurt Cobain.

[​IMG]

But no, it had to be the brunette. It's the least creative choice imaginable.

instantdeath likes this.
  5. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I would have prefered a male Kel Dor or female Zarbak.

MistrX likes this.
  6. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I would have liked to see it. I don't think we have enough non-white male leads, particularly post-ROTJ.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    In the sense that if he's going to be male, the voice acting makes no sense coming out of a Kel Dor or Rodian's mouth, then yeah, I guess. But there's nothing stopping Jaden from being any of the female options, or something other than the most generically whitebread option possible, so it's still a disappointment.

8. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Everybody knows that Jaden is a man's name.

9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I had no problem with him being a man, but had issues with him being a white guy. Give him some color, because in all my years I've never met a white guy named Jaden, but come across plenty of black and various minorities with the name.

10. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    That's actually a really good point.

Like, it's space, so whatever, I'm not actually advocating for suddenly making sure all the characters' names fit some Earthbound preconception of cultural normativity, because that would be gross.

It's just that on top of this being an example of going with a white, male, human for no reason other than it was, I don't know, thoughtless and boring, it's one of the few situations we do have where there's some sort of cue that might undercut the immediate, instinctive assumption about "default" demographics.

Bah, humbug.

11. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm not advocating that either, I was just stating a fact from my perspective. I'm sure there are white Jadens somewhere, but I've never seen one;).

12. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Oh, no, I didn't think you were; I just...realised when I was typing it out that someone might thing I was suggesting that so thought it'd be better to clarify. It's not a reason he should have been a black dude, but it's a reason that could have made it easier to choose that, and it was ignored because the assumption that "white" = "default" is more powerful. It's just...illustrative, you know?

Anyway, the point is, I think we're in agreement.

13. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Yep :)
    I haven't read the Korr novels yet, but when I do I'll just ignore his description like I usually do.

14. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Now that we have voices from Plo Koon and Gnost-Dural and both just sound like non-filtered human voices, I'm fine with Jaden's default voice acting for the Kel Dor head.

15. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Yes, it's unreasonable to expect every Kel Dor to sound as awesome as Gnost-Dural.