main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Melida/Daan understated?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hananiah, Apr 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    SPOILERS
    I have said this before I think the whole Melida/Daan thing was a HUGE deal I mean Obi Wan left the Jedi and almost became one of the lost twenty, so how come no one mentions it? Anyone in the Jedi Temple Obi Wan's age and up would remember it yet it isn't discussed and through the JA series it isn't mentioned in any detail although Siri loved to mention it when they went on a mission togther. I think it would have helped Anakin understand Obi Wan better if he had known what had happened.
    Anyway What do you think?

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Who? What? Where? When? I'm so confused. What books are you talking about?

3. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Jedi Apprentice #5-6, (Defenders of the Dead and Uncertain Path). Two factions, the Melida and the Daan are warring over control of a planet, named Melida/Daan by the Senate for clarity. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are sent to rescue a captured Jedi. On the planet they join up with a teenage resistance force. Obi-Wan leaves the Jedi to join the victorious teenagers, who proceed to rip themselves apart internally.

4. clonewarseu

clonewarseu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    (spoiler from Force Heretic: Remnant)
    It is mentioned in passing that the Yuzhan Vong have taken over Malida/Daan.
    (End spoiler)

5. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    I don't think it was "understated". I mean, Obi-Wan and Yoda talked about it in the films. ;)

6. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I find it interesting that it was still called Melidda/Daan, since it was called that because the warring factions couldn't agree on the name of the planet. Still fighting after all those decades, eh? :p

7. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Obi Wan left the Jedi and almost became one of the lost twenty

I don't think the Lost 20 includes Padawans. As far as I know, Xanantos is not one of the 20.

8. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Lost 20 is as NEGTC established the "only 20 jedi masters to ever leave the order".

9. JediPadawan30

JediPadawan30 Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2003
    JedimasterEd- what was talked about in the films? Obi-Wan leaving the Jedi for a time? Melida/Daan? You have me wondering what you are referring to in your statement.

10. SuperVader

SuperVader Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2002
    where in FH does it say the vong had taken melida/Daan pg reference would be nice but part would be good too.

11. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    what was talked about in the films?

From TESB (while Yoda is talking to Luke):

YODA: I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience.
    BEN: He will learn patience.
    YODA: Hmmm. Much anger in him, like his father.
    BEN: Was I any different when you taught me?

YODA: You are reckless!
    BEN: So was I, if you'll remember.

The Melida/Daan thing was a prime example of Obi-Wan showing these very emotions.

12. clonewarseu

clonewarseu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    My bad! The Vong might not have taken over Melida/Daan. The only reference I found was to Han and Leia wanting to restore comminications with them or something.

13. Elven_Jedi_Maiden

Elven_Jedi_Maiden Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2003
    I don't think it's really been understated. Really, if you think about it, those very events (leaving the Jedi Order, losing Cerasi, etc) were probably the things that propelled Obi-Wan to strive to be the best Jedi he could be, to make sure he never messed up like that again. Which is one of the factors that keeps him from understanding Anakin later. Just my thoughts. :)

14. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, I was going to say something here, but Maiden has put it much better than I could have. :)

TC

15. JediPadawan30

JediPadawan30 Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2003
    Ok, they talk about Obi-Wan having a reckless nature, not his leaving the Order. They couldn't have, because that was created by an author 20 years later. :p Melida/Daan was not mentioned in the movies, which is what JedimasterED seemed to be implying. At least, that's how I took what he said.

16. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    Hence teh winky! ;)

Seriously, though. Obi-Wan's recklessness in "leaving" the Jedi Order was probably not given the full treatment it could have been given, but the ramifications were addressed in scenes with Siri (didn't she have a problem with him afterwards?), Qui-Gon, and the Council. Sure, this was addressed only in the Jedi Apprentice books, and not in more "mainstream" outlets, but I feel confident that one of the purposes of JA was to expand upon the lines in ESB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.