main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Was Nomi Sunrider ever Grand Master of the Order?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JarenJade, Jun 25, 2013.

1. JarenJade

JarenJade Jedi Master star 1

Aug 28, 2009
    On the surface of it, I think the answer to this question is no. Taking a quick look at Wookieepedia's page on Grand Masters, there is no mention of Sunrider. However, I remember back in Tales of the Jedi: Redemption, there is a scene at the start where Nomi Sunrider has convened a great Jedi council to remember the 10 year anniversary of the Sith War.

In this scene Sunrider is behaving as if she is the Grand Master of the Order, and the other Jedi around her treat her as such. But the words, "Grand Master of the Order" do not appear in the text (I think - I don't have it in front of me to verify this) So, with a dearth of solid evidence, I'm going to build my case on circumstantial, and say, Yes, in 3986 BBY, Nomi Sunrider was the Grand Master of the Order.

Let's clarify our understanding on this important topic and discuss.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Was the term ever used prior to the prequel movies and their tie-in material? If not, maybe that would be why the term isn't used in the comics- because it's a Lucas invention.

3. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I'm 99.9% sure it wasn't used until the Prequels came out. Before that, it seems it was always just Jedi Masters in control of small enclaves, such as Arca Jeth on Arkania, Master Thon on Ambria, Luke Skywalker on Yavin IV etc. But now, we have a title, so it may well be that Nomi was indeed the Grand Master at this time.

4. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Well, first off,

This doesn't mean anything. But moving on, I'm positive the "Grand Master" term, and even the concept, didn't exist until after AOTC came out. Yoda is clearly a leader of the Jedi in TPM, but there's nothing to suggest he's the official top dog. And actually, around the TPM era, wasn't it stated that Mace Windu was the leader of the Jedi Council? I definitely remember that from somewhere, but it's been so long now it's hard to recall just where that came from? It's only in the original Clone Wars novel run I remember first seeing the Grand Master term pop up, and even then it wasn't really common until Denning revived it in Dark Nest for Luke's Order.

Anyway, going from both Redemption and other sources, it's definitely clear that Nomi is supposed to be the leader of the Jedi at that point. And actually some of the stuff for Redemption seems to presage the prequel conception of the Jedi - Nomi is mentioned as residing on Coruscant and being part of some 'council', both of which weren't aspects of Jedi leadership in prior TOTJ works.

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Or just weren't mentioned.

6. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Well, yeah, they weren't mentioned because Lucas hadn't come up with those concepts of how the Jedi were run yet.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    My own understanding is this:
    The Jedi went through some sort of reformation after the Sith War. Perhaps they felt that having the Jedi Masters in their own little corners of the galaxy teaching apprentices in their own ways had a part in allowing Exar Kun to lead so many apprentices to the Dark Side and lowered the defenses of the Order. Some reformations were forming the title of Grand Master and tightening the structure of the Jedi from lone Masters and rare Gatherings to permanent Councils on large Jedi settlements like on Coruscant and Dantooine. This was also the time when those who were against Jedi marriages started to get their voices heard.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Grand Master wasn't even used during the Prequels.

It was invented in Troy Denning's Dark Nest trilogy. It was supposed to be something new, never done before.

Then, in a Clone Wars book that came out shortly before Episode 3, an author called Yoda the "Grand Master" too.

And now apparently it has existed for thousands of years.

But it seems to be an informal title, pre-DNT, at least. In that there doesn't have to be a Grand Master, it's just a title given to an extremely accomplished Jedi Master on the Council, with many generations not even having one.

9. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Dark Nest came out at least two or three years after the Clone Wars books that used the Grand Master title were published.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It did? I remember when Luke did it, everyone treated it as big news, as creating a new position.

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    It was a big deal for the NJO, anyways.

As to Nomi, I believe she was, at least from what I've heard.

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I hope not. I'm so sick of the idea that there's a Grand Master all the time. There shouldn't be. Grand Master should be an extremely rare term of respect, not the formal, constant office of King of the Jedi.

Also, Nomi Sunrider is a terrible Jedi.

Jedi Ben and Ulicus like this.
  13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, I don't agree that Nomi is a TERRIBLE Jedi... but, yeah, the "office" of Grand Master is one of the worst things introduced to the franchise.

14. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    There are High Priests (and equivalent titles) in most religions here on Earth. What is wrong with having a High Priest Jedi? :confused:

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Because the Jedi aren't a monarchy, to be ruled by one voice. Because they aren't a hierarchy in which one priest is declared to have God's ear and all others are subordinate. We've seen the Jedi organization in the movies: the Jedi are guided by a Council. Not a Grand Master; a Council. A body of the wisest, most respected Jedi, who gather together as equals to debate the proper course of action, receive the Force's wisdom as collected and checked by a body rather than one being. The fact that this system -- a deliberative, peaceful, collaborative process of harmony achieved by multiple elders reaching consensus as equals -- works is a testament to the wisdom of the Jedi and the guidance of the Force, and it has the advantage of checking and balancing any one voice. If you've just got one Chief Jedi, you lose those checks, and things become hierarchical and top-down. The beauty of the movie system is lost in favor of having one bossman, and it's much less in accord with the Zen sense of the Force established by the films.

She's certainly too terrible to deserve to be honored as a Grand Master.

16. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Well said. Though I do wonder if/hope that the NJO eventually coming to their senses about this is one of the things that leads to the IK split.

17. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I'd like the title of Grand Master to be honorary, as well. Something to say "This guy is frikkin Yoda/Luke Skywalker, he should know what he's talking about". No "Do what he says" but rather "Listen to what he says".

And remembering how Nomi messed up before and during the war, there would have to be some serious re-interprerating of history during the reformation before she could be given the title.
    (Or the old Jedi were romantic and gave the title to a main character who was still alive after the war. I wouldn't be surprised)

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Planet of Twilight, Beldorion describes how "the great ones" (the examples he gives are Thon, Nomi, Yoda) could use the Force to generate light for their allies to see by. So, whatever the dubiousness of some of Nomi's early decisions- it's implied that she became a great Jedi.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I like the term Grand Master, and the fact that only the most powerful, skilled, and usually wise Jedi, can be given or assume that rank.

20. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Forget Nomi, I'm still hugely upset that we've never seen Vima Sunrider as an adult Jedi, since from her very first mention in the Dark Empire endnotes she was established as having been one of the greatest Jedi of her time.

21. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Retconning her into the Exile would have been the most elegant solution.

Alas, that ship has sailed.

22. JarenJade

Aug 28, 2009

23. JarenJade

Aug 28, 2009
    Bah....I'm still no good at properly using the boards :(

24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    You can use the edit button beneath your post to amend any mistakes you make. :)

25. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    usually the grandmaster is just a high ranking council member, until he or she decides to take charge when it is necessary to do so.