main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Was Nomi Sunrider ever Grand Master of the Order?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JarenJade, Jun 25, 2013.

1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    This really, really cannot be stated enough. It's too bad, since the intentions behind her were certainly good- you can almost see Veitch and Anderson behind the scenes, desperately trying to make her an admirable character-, but not only did it not come out in the writing, but the writing also made her come across as one of the most self-centered, emotionally unstable characters in the EU. Vima-da-Boda would give her a wide berth.

2. JarenJade

JarenJade Jedi Master star 1

Aug 28, 2009
    Really? Ok, give me examples of when she was self-centered and emotionally unstable (defend your assertions sir! :) ). I'm now wondering why did I not walk away with that impression in my readings of her. I really feel like I've missed something now.

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Oh man, I could go on all day about that one. I know I have some very lengthy Tales of the Jedi criticisms somewhere on the site... that would be helpful right now, as I don't have the time to rip into it at the moment (leaving in just a few moments). Plus I haven't read it in some time, so thankfully many of the details are a bit foggy.

Suffice it to say, for now (I'll get more detailed later, promise) I'll just say that Nomi allows thousands, if not millions of people (billions? This is Star Wars, where numbers are always bigger) of people to die in the Sith War, all in the name of Ulic "following his own path", despite the path that his "path" leads to aforementioned deaths (don't care so much about their paths, do you?)... yet when Ulic kills someone she knows personally, she disregards that entirely and cuts him off from the Force after he had already surrendered, and then allows him to walk away. That wasn't justice. That was revenge. Nomi is built up to be this great paragon of the light side, but in the end, her most defining action is simply petty retribution (@Rogue1_and-a-half, in his EU reread thread, ripped into why this scene is so disgusting with witty anger that I can never hope to replicate.).

Even in Redemption, the only TOTJ arc with any kind of merit in my mind, she comes off as cold and indecisive, especially towards her daughter.

In addition, there are some serious problems in how she's consistently characterized, or rather, how she isn't. She acts different in practically every issue she appears in. Not only does her hair change every issue, but so does her personality. They really just had no idea what they were doing with her.

4. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I still think it's weird how Veitch intended her to be the first female Jedi ever. I think re-reading TOTJ with that in mind actually makes her depiction (and other's reactions to her) rather more troubling.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  5. JarenJade

Aug 28, 2009
    I'm not sure I follow your meaning.

6. JarenJade

Aug 28, 2009
    You're jogging a few memories for me here. I do remember her coming off as cold towards her daughter, and I think I wondered why Vima felt the need to seek out Ulic Qel-Droma for her Jedi training. Her mother should have been filling this role.

Where can I find Rouge1-and-a-half's comments on that particular scene. I want to read what he has to say about it

7. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    If the term had existed back then i'm sure Nomi would've been acknowledged as Grand Master. She seemed to be the one in charger a decade later when she called that convocation. I also got the sense back then that she was about to propose the idea for the first Jedi Council.