main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Was Obi Wan stronger than Maul

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by NakkyGraphics, Feb 13, 2016.

1. NakkyGraphics

NakkyGraphics Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2015
    Many say that the reason Obi Wan cut Maul in half was because Maul was not paying attention to the fight anymore and was sure he had won. But was Obi Wan really stronger than Maul. I would say yes, for he was able to hold off Maul AND Oppress as we see here

Starting at 2:11 ... And he did quite well.

The only difference between Obi Wan vs Maul and Oppress and Sidious vs Maul and Oppress is that Sidious was REALLY good and was just toying with Maul and Savage. Obi Wan wasn't THAT good, but good enough to defeat these two. Your opinions?

2. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    You're probably going to want to post this in the television section of the forum.

IMO Obi-Wan > Maul in terms of power in both TPM and TCW. Of course I think Obi-Wan is the most awesome Jedi ever so I may be a bit bias in this opinion :p

3. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Maul was stronger than him in TPM. It's only because of a lucky break that Obi-Wan was able to beat him there. They're evenly matched in TCW.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  4. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Obi-Wan's always been more about boxing smart than boxing strong. The more you attack and the stronger your blows, the better prepared to deal with you he is. Thus it was Dooku's precision and timing that beat him when Maul and Anakin's power attacks did not. I never figured him as a particularly powerful Jedi - certainly not on the top tier of Anakin, Mace, Yoda etc. But he knows his limitations and his abilities and how to maximise what he's got for the best effect.

The TPM duel is interesting as it shows the first time (on screen) we see him go from all-out attack mode to a craftier strategist. Obviously the actual staging was... less than convincing... but him taking Maul by surprise was the first step in his path to a master duellist I think.

5. CometSmudge

CometSmudge Jedi Padawan

Feb 17, 2016
    If Obi-Wan was stronger, he probably wouldn't have fallen in the pit in TPM. He just got lucky and took maul by surprise. In the Clone Wars, Obi -Wan, was stronger or at least equal to Maul

6. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    agree with CometSmudge .... Maul was stronger than Kenobi in The Phantom Menace. Maul just got caught up in the moment and was basking in his glory because he had just slaughtered a Jedi Master and was about to do the same to a Padawan. Maul was not even thinking of Qui-Gon's saber and Obi-Wan got lucky as anyone could ever be. In TCW, it seemed like Maul dominated poor Obi-Wan most of the time so it's hard to say if Obi-Wan was stronger

PHIERY likes this.
  7. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Maul is definitely stronger than Obi-Wan, however he's exceptionally prone to getting over confident and playing with his food, even for a Sith (who, by nature, seem to have a weakness for underestimating their opponents). He effectively wipes the floor with Obi-Wan every time they duel, and it's only because of Maul's cockiness that Obi-Wan is able to either get away or beat back Maul.

8. KaleeshEyes

KaleeshEyes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    Obi-wan was smarter and more attentive. It's not always how strong you are, but how you apply that strength. In this case their relative force strengths are irrelevant, because Maul wasn't thinking.

9. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    Yep I agree.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.