Was Palpatine in-love with Anakin's Power?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by Old_Zen, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaan_Karrde Jedi Knight

star 1
    I like this topic, I agree with Old_Zen, in fact I always thought of the relationship between Anakin and Palpatine this way, the sith version of love.

It was like a dark obsessive lust, and not sexual lust (but can be compared to sexual desire), it was a lust for power in the form of a person, to be used as a tool, but at the same time the sith master is proud and protective of that tool, up until the point where the apprentice is strong enough to betray and kill the master to take his place, the master expects this and I believe is also proud of the moment.

It's a sick and twisted relationship, but it is love, a dark sort of love, sith love.

That's an interesting way to look at it.
  2. JASTERSLEGACEYV2 Jedi Knight

star 1
    i certanly hope my favorite character is **** sexual, but then if he was he is hideing it very well i mean saying he is gay first there is no gay conunity in a galaxy far far away, second he has none of the signs of being gay (impeckable fashoin sense, the strange voice, etc.) 3 i've never seen a gay person be a fan of volance and really when vader got locked away in the robot suit there would be no way for the empeorer to get in there even a mechanic can't get in there to repair him, the whole thing is very unlikely
  3. TomPiltoff Jedi Knight

star 2
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/pie751/homopalpatine5ec.gif]
  4. Dark_Disciple Jedi Knight

star 3
    It was like a dark obsessive lust, and not sexual lust (but can be compared to sexual desire), it was a lust for power in the form of a person, to be used as a tool, but at the same time the sith master is proud and protective of that tool, up until the point where the apprentice is strong enough to betray and kill the master to take his place, the master expects this and I believe is also proud of the moment.

It's a sick and twisted relationship, but it is love, a dark sort of love, sith love.

Now this is an interesting topic!

I really don't think you can use the term love but you can argue that there is some sort of 'satisfaction' coming over Sids there in the turn scene when Anakin kneels before him and pledges himself to his teachings. It's a creepy scene for all sorts of reasons. When he makes that strange, eerie sound, that weird breathing noise before he says that line, "The Force is strong with you", it's very much like Sids has sucked up all of Anakin's goodness (if you will) there, along with feeding on the despair of the younger man. And in that turn scene, despair is pretty much there in the expressions Anakin's giving in that scene. Anakin looks tragically hopeless really, to him it's all a fait accompli and he's going along with it all, his conscience and his soul be damned, coz he thinks he's getting something in return. And imo, it very much looks like Sids is getting pleasure out of it. He's a Sith for Force's sake, he's gotta be bad*** and creepy and the ultimate Sith.

You can also interpret that Anakin sees some of this too (if you choose to), as when Sids looks down upon him and says, "Goooood", Anakin looks away and he looks positively sickened there for a moment, like what else is there in this loyalty to this Sith that I'm not aware of. Sids must really enjoy that he doesn't even have to even ask that Anakin pledges his loyalty to him, Anakin's there kneeling for him of his own accord, though Anakin's not pleased about it, judging by the look. From Anakin's point of view, he's acknowledged that he's at Sid's mercy, only he can help him at this point, (the lie about saving Padme), and this is why Anakin is kneeling before Sids in the first place. He will do what he must, like a good slave, coz that's just what he has become to Sids. Sids on the other hand revels in this, and the whole slave angle gives new meaning to apprentice. He must also be reveling in the youth and beauty of Anakin, along with his mad Force skills of course. The next young blonde he covets is Luke after all. I guess after the elderly independence of Dooku before Anakin is ready to be turned, Sids would steer himself towards more tendermeat, as it were. They're usually easier to sway, especially when they think they're caught between a rock and a hard place, as Anakin felt he was. But I can see a Sids swept up by a beautiful new sith lord pledging himself to him. I'm sure it must have been some kind of 'turn on'. Sids does look put out on Mustafar, when he sees what's left of his new apprentice. Sure he's thinking about all that lost potential, but when he's touching his crispy forehead there, I can imagine, a regret of a different nature mixed in with that as well.

5. TomPiltoff Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'll bet one million dollars that, with that attitude, you've never met a gay person in your life.
  6. Old_Zen Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yeah, that statement was very offensive. Are you going to say all pacifist non-violent men who can appreciate art and are able to express emotion and even cry as gay too? Is being straight have to do with being a macho guy who treats people like dirt and spits? If so..I guess I'm gay. There's no dis-honor there. Even though, I go nuts for every girl that walks down the block...
  7. bossk69 Jedi Padawan

When Anakin hits his knees, I thought there may have been something going on. But Palps rejected him. Told him to "rise."

Unless he was speaking of the rise that was happening underneath his cape. "Palps, is that your lightsaber or are just you happy to see me?"

8. RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Let's keep this serious and on topic please. kthxbye.
  9. TomPiltoff Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yeah, we are.
  10. RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Some people are not. Let's not turn this into a bunch of gay jokes/gay commentaries. Please. Thank you.
  11. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Sidious wasn't in love with Vader. He did care in his own twisted way, but more like a father figure to Anakin who would be like a son to him. But that's really about it.

"And while Palpatine isn?t, we must assume Anakin?s natural father in this film, he?s certainly a father-figure to him."

-- Ian McDiarmid, Becoming Sidious Webdoc, Hyperspace.

The two Star Wars trilogies share many characters but have different structures. Instead of telling another heroic coming-of-age story, Lucas has crafted the prequels a historical drama, at whose center is Anakin Skywalker. His story is tragic; that of the Republic-turned-Empire, uncomfortably familiar. Anakin begins as a nine-year-old boy who is physically enslaved. He ends the prequel saga a spiritual and mental slave to the Emperor, who is his metaphorical if not biological father....

--The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith; page 221
  12. Leonard_Shelby Force Ghost

star 6
  13. TomPiltoff Jedi Knight

star 2
    I think you and I are gonna get along just fine.
  14. darth_frared Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    without really having read the whole thread: yes, he loves him like a product. he loves the things anakin can accomplish and do for him. but he does care for him and his well-being as long as he is useful. that's not such an alien idea, is it?

overall, i agree with your idea old-zen. i'm whitcha, mate. :) there is some attraction going on.
  15. darthzeppo Jedi Master

star 3
    sounds like fanfiction.
  16. Mr_Fantastic Jedi Knight

star 2
    There's that evil in Palpatine that makes him fully completed to the extent of rising from earth to see God when he enjoys the dark side. During the lines "Even the nature of the dark side" and "I can feeeeeeel your anger" he makes a face like he has just had an orgasm. That's Dan Browns' ticket to heaven in "The Da Vinci Code". So it is a different kind of gay, one that takes pleasure from ****ing the inner male soul, like the Force-sensational love that floated between Visas Marr and the eile in KOTOR 2, although that was straight.
  17. Obi-Chron Force Ghost

star 4
    I restate my previous points:

- Palpatine loved only two things; himself, and power
    - Palps foresaw that Anakin was destined to be "more power than both" Yoda and Palpatine
    - Palps obviously cared for Anakin, but I think that caring was more as a bear hunter cares for his prized attack dog, the instrument that makes him bigger and badder than anyone else
    - Palpatine craved, perhaps even lusted after Anakin's potential power. "Power -- unLIMited POWER!" So much so that, like a moth to the flame, he realized he was playing with a 'force' that could one day eventually kill him.

18. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    I don't think Palpatine loved anything but power.
  19. darth_frared Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    yes, he might have loved power, but then anakin is an embodiment of power and seeing him unleash it might bring warm feelings to his heart.

i still don't see the problem. he is obviously attracted to young men at least in the sense that he quickly wants to replace vader once luke shows up. he seems delighted at anakin's display of force powers... obviously he gives a toss about what happens to anakin as long as he is his possession. just like the jedi regard their members as possessions obviously, since they also invest in them.

do the jedi love their members? well, i guess not.
  20. Vaan_Karrde Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yes! I was thinking about that too, I didn't know if the game was worth mentioning here.

That was Sith Love. o_O
  21. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4
    Palpatine and the word "love" dont even sound right being used in the same sentence.[face_shame_on_you]
  22. DarthDischarge Jedi Master

star 1
    He was in love in a controling kind of demanding way. Like the way a Dom/Sub relationship is. In the years to come we can only speculate what palpatine made Vader do when the mask was off or the suit was being changed. The thing is anything can happen in ones imagination...Its kind of sick to think about but after all Palpatine is human and 20 plus years is a long time so the chances are Vader had to SERVE his MASTER!
  23. mastersith69 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    what how did we start up a topic of palpatine being gay?
  24. DarthDubya05 Jedi Master

star 4
    Palpatine's Gay?!
  25. Darth-Mule Jedi Master

star 4
    This whole thing kinda makes me feel sick to my stomach. Besides, it's obvious that Lucas doesn't like gays, and feels that they are not even real people. Why do you think he made C3PO - a robot - so effeminate?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.