main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Palpatine in-love with Anakin's Power?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Old_Zen, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mastersith69

mastersith69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    I am just in shock over this topic even being thought of to post.

2. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Excuse me? [face_plain]

Seriously, if this thread can't remain on topic, it'll be locked.

3. Kirk_Kanos

Kirk_Kanos Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2006
    This is a truly interesting topic, alot of what has been said I would have to agree with, on the other hand some remarks are just a bit to out there and its a case of an over active imagination trying to find something in the film, which was never inteaded.

The whole love thing NO, I do not think this is right in anyway, simple because of the Sith being so filled with hate they could never love, quite rightly so someone mentioned the word love CAN NOT really be used in a statement about the Sith.

But lets not confuse lust, as in, is lust not derived from the dark side, be it the lusting after another person, or wealth or power as the case is here. So yes Cideis does have a power lust, and that lust is young Skywalker, as it is in ROTJ.

Control is also a key factor here which is hand in hand with this lust, by having control of the most powerful entity (Anakin), he has control of everything, his own fate aswell, or so he thinks. After all he knows that Anakin has the power to defeat him, enevetable isn't it Anakin who finally does kill the emperor, thus bring balance to the force, thats for another topic though, because it is actually Darth Vader and not Luke that brings the balance in the end, after all a true Jedi could not have killed the emperor, as we seen in ROTS in the chamber scene, when he was all but defeated.

As for the love triangle, there was a sort of triangle here no doubt, But Love not realy, yes the love between Padme and Anakin was real, but for the Emperor it was always the lust for power, and he had to destroy there love because that was the only thing that could stop Anakin from going to the dark side, which is proven in ROTJ, cause is it not Darth Vader's love for Luke which makes him turn back to the good side, and dispose of the emperor in the end.

4. Seperatist

Seperatist Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2005
    Nice idea, and maybe he did.
    He certainly was in-love with the power Anakin posessed.

-S-

5. Kirk_Kanos

Jan 4, 2006
    Also to add to one more point made about gay references in Starwars, the Person who said C3PO is extremly effeminate, yes maybe it is, I say it as this is a robot where talking about, a translater that has to work with all types of speices and people, and is it not true that females are the better choice for PR work, just a thought

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Palpatine is in love with power, but not with Anakin in that way. He just loves that he has turned Anakin to the Dark Side. It's the final insult to the Jedi. They thought that the Chosen One would serve them, but he has turned the boy and made him serve him.

7. Bend_Ovi_Kenobi

Bend_Ovi_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2006
    This point is well-taken. Lust and love are closely related, and it is quite obvious that the villian here is lusting for power. That the lusting leads him to another man may cause some to draw the conclusion that sids is "in-love" with Anakin. But taking the above statement into account, it would be more accurate to say that, by association, sids is "in lust" for anikin.

8. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    it's ironic how much you support my post, sinister, given that we almost never agree. :D

so, you agree that the jedi have people *serve* them?

additionally though, palps is clearly turned on by the thought of having anakin by his side. whether that's exual is not obvious. it's a turn-on, though.

9. Sidious-3

Sidious-3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    I think that he was lustful for power but, he was not "in love" with Anakin or "in love" with Anakin's power of the Force Palpatine was simply using Anakin as a tool, just as he had Dooku, but only this time to destroy all the Jedi and make the Sith rule the galaxy. So Sidious really didn't have any "feelings" (as in caring or lusting for Anakin's power) because in the end I believe Sidious was using him as he did Dooku.

10. mastersith69

mastersith69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    i think palpatine was in love with anakin's lightsaber [face_dancing] :eek:

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    No. They serve the people, but in the sense of protecting them and offering mediation on political matters. The Jedi do have non Jedi who work with them in the Temple, but this is due to their not being enough Jedi to take all these jobs. Before the Clone Wars, many Jedi were out of the Temple at all times. Only 200 fully trained Jedi and any number of Younglings were there. Mostly the Jedi relied on droids when it was expedient.

He likes that he can control people. So in a sense, it's a turn-on. But not in a sexual way that some might think. Rather it "bliss" to him. The ultimate high. The Dark Side is like a drug and he's the worst addict. Anytime he can sense Anakin using it, it's like the first time he tasted the power of the Dark Side. Out of all the Apprentices, Vader has the most anger and hate. So much so that it could rival his own, especially had he not been injured.

12. Kirk_Kanos

Jan 4, 2006
    To use this Anology of the situation, another point to be added is that the love/lust triangle, which we know consists of Sids lust for Ani's power,Ani's lust for Sid's power,Padme love for Ani and of course Ani's love for Padme.

So it must be equally said that if Sid has a lust for Ani's power and Ani has a lust for Sids powers, and that its mutual. then we can concieve that they are both lusting for what one another has, or are living in lust for one another

13. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    if i may recall: you said the chosen one serves the jedi. so, what do you mean by that? i can imagine you mean he serves their purpose. because they have a purpose with him and employ him and train him for that reason. or don't they? is them taking kids on sheer goodwill?
    well, of course he likes to control people. but he also finds anakin as a person a turn-on, no?
    he's surely not afraid of him. quite the contrary he seems to like having him around. and the idea of having anakin kneel in front of him is flattering, no? also given that anakin is nearly completely at his mercy, huh? wouldn't you think he enjoys having that much power over someone? and wouldn't you say that sex is often power play? (is this still pg, i'm worrying here) about who leads and who is being lead?

14. Bend_Ovi_Kenobi

Jan 5, 2006
    Absolutely. And Ani is also 'cheating' on the light side with the 'dark side'.

Could it be possible that all this is connected? Ani's man-lust caused his turn more than anything else, after all he only severed Mace's hand to protect the 'other' one he loved. The dark side could be a complicated commentary on manlove ... and throwing 3PO into the mix ...

Hmmmm, now I'm thinking.

15. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    huh? ani's man-lust? nar, i wouldn't say he is interested in it, just sid is.

16. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Palpatine was in love with the dark side and using it. That's all.

17. Bend_Ovi_Kenobi

Jan 5, 2006
    Yes, this statement is in line with what this poster wrote:

They are lusting after one another, it has already been stated.

18. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    but that's what i doubt, ovi, i doubt that anakin enjoys it and lusts. he only wants to employ the power, but he couldn't care less about sid. whereas sid gets ome pleasure from both humiliating anakin and giving him what he wants. because he's in control. and he enjoys having this control. wheras anakin is desperate and would do about anything.

or maybe i have just supported what you said. dare i say i have lost track. [face_blush]

lord_sidious_ likes this.
  19. Old_Zen

Old_Zen Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    Listen all these homosexual remarks are really offensive and un-called for. Just end it, or I will ASK the mods to lock this thread..3PO is not meant to be gay..he's a robot...robots have no sexual componets, think. Also, This is NOT a Palpay is gay thread in any sense of the idea...Ok, now.

I like the lusting idea...hmmm, Palpatine was Vader's lust for he supplied him with power, greed and all the dark wisdom, etc he lusted, like cheating death and contorlling things and people...so when he overthrows the emperer in the end...His son kind of broke the spell Palpatine had over him..Interesting.

20. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    well, palps certainly has cast a spell over anakin. and i think we sort of agree that palps lusts after the person anakin skywalker and cares for his well-being.
    whereas i don't see how anakin has that line of thinking. to me it seems he sort of accepts palps lusting after him and his power as a by-product of it all.

21. uwishuwereme

uwishuwereme Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 20, 2005
    Palps likes Anakin's power he knows Anakin's power will in turn bring him more power,Anakin is an extension of Palps like a son,and we see Palpatine cares about Anakin when he sees Anakin all burnt and he places his hand on his head. Mccalum said they put that suttle part in their to show a human side of Palpatine. Palps doesn't lust over Anakin's power he might just want him cause he knows he will make him more powerful.

22. SlytherinHouse

SlytherinHouse Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2000
    I'll go ahead and direct you back to an earlier quote from the guy who started the thread...

...and later someone said...

...followed by...

As you can see, obviously the guy that started the thread thinks that...oh...oh, that was you.

All sarcasm aside...when I looked back over this, I can understand a bit more of what you're saying, I just think you went a bit overboard with the sexual charge bit. I think that, as has been said more than a few times, Palpatine lusted after power, absolute power. Anakin/Vader was his ability to acheive said power, so, I guess you could say he lusted after Anakin if you use some roundabout thinking...and if you just feel like you need to say Palpatine/lust/Anakin in the same sentence, which might be evidence of more deep-rooted problems.

So...um...peace.

Sly

23. Old_Zen

Old_Zen Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    Ok, I think you can lock this thread down. People are animals. :)

24. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    nah, don't. it's a tough topic and only *some* here are animals.

25. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    If anything, Palpatine was in love with Anakin?s power or potential power. With Palpatine, it?s all about power. Without Anakin?s power, Palpatine couldn?t care less about him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.