main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Was Rey trained at Luke's Jedi Temple?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by clone3131, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    If it was necessary to keep her out of harm's way, I don't see why not.

Colm likes this.
  2. RobbyV

RobbyV Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Colm, I don't suppose amnesia in canon is caused by mind-wipes, right? Amnesia in SW is basically the same as amnesia IRL.

3. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    Yep I think it works the same as in real life. And a memory rub or memory wipe is used to tamper with someone's memories, so it could easily explain why Rey might not even know her own name when she is delivered into the hands of Plutt.

4. RobbyV

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes, but that memory rub and wipe are stuff of "Legends", hence my original statement that mind-wipes are not canon.

5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    There is of course the possibility that her memories were simply suppressed as a consequence of the traumatic ordeal she went through.

6. JediKnightYJK

JediKnightYJK Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 17, 2016
    If Kylo Ren was trained in the Jedi Temple with Rey, How does he not know the location of it?

So no... they could of trained when they were younger but not in the Jedi Temple...

7. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015

ummmm......Luke isn't "Hiding" at the Location of HIS Jedi Temple, He is in hiding at the location of the ORIGINAL Jedi Temple, Very separate locations. We know for a FACT Kylo was at Luke's Academy.

8. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    Nope you're inncorrect, if you look at the link I posted earlier, here it is again http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ghosts_of_Mortis that episode is Canon, and here is the pertinent bit of the blurb; "The Father recognizes that the Son has broken the rules of time. He wipes Anakin's memory of these future visions"

In the description it goes into a little further detail; "Anakin is confronted and questioned by Father, who erases Anakin’s memory of his future revealed to break the hold of the Dark Side on him."

So while the other examples of Memory Wipes in Star Wars have been made into the stuff of legends, the one I posted shows that there is precedent for an event like a Memory Wipe to happen.

Lulu Mars, Enkei and RobbyV like this.
  9. RobbyV

Dec 22, 2015

Good find! And interesting... I don't watch Clone Wars or any of the SW TV shows so I don't know much about them.

Question -- is there anything special about the "Father" that makes him this powerful? Seems we've never seen Jedi or Sith do this in any other canon material, when it seems to be a very useful skill.

10. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    If it is semi-established that Rey was left on Jakku from about the age of five, and we are mostly unaware of the earliest a child would best be eligible for Jedi training, how much training could she really have had if we are to be comfortable with Rey's abilities being sparked by previous training? We have no clue from the saga what the younglings were taught at a what age other than to wear a helmet and wave around little lightsabers. It is difficult to visualize someone who is four or five being taught sufficient information for this to be the foundation for those Force abilities that some need to make her use of the Force more palatable in the film.

The awakening being a slow recovery from amnesia or mind wipe seems somewhat too easy and convenient and is not as satisfying to me as her being innately Force Sensitive, and the Force calling through the events of the story triggering a cascade of ability to tap into the Force. Could she have been with Luke earlier? Sure. Or not. Her abandonment on Jakku is one of the most problematic questions we have been left with. However I do not feel her Force abilities need to be supported by whatever a four or five year old youngling could be taught.

11. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I think as the Son represented the Darkside and the Daughter the Lightside the Father represented the Balance in effect the Grey Jedi.

To me there are only two possibilities; she is either Rey Kenobi because that reverses the role played in ANH it also explains why Anakin's saber is drawn to her more as Obi-Wan quite probably used that as a fixed point so his force ghost could appear to Luke easier and it means Luke might have been away from the Academy searching for her but blocked her memories to help her recover from the grief of losing whoever her family or former tutor was that brought her to Luke's attention.

The other possibility is that she's Rey Bridger, Ezra has Extra Sensory gifts meaning Rey by picking up the lightsaber witnessed events including that saber rather than because of any link to Luke but because its her innate talent.

I'd rather it be revealed that the reason Luke went into hiding was because he thought the New Republic was responsible for the attack on his academy. This would explain why Leia felt approaching the Senate on the current New Republic Capital would get her assassinated.

Somehow Snoke made contact with Ben and before Leia could realise it managed to corrupt him enough that when she sent him to Luke he basically led the First Order's elite troops or whatever the Knights of Ren were back then to the Academy and that's how they were wiped out not because Ben led the charge but rather Snoke tricked him into pulling the Trojan Horse on them.

To me Kylo Ren is a powerful force user but far from competent as a lightsaber duelist after all by the time he got the chance anyone outside of the First Order who could fight him was either dead or in hiding because the New Republic had effectively assassinated the New Jedi Order and when the Grandmaster of said order goes into hiding even the aging veterans of the Rebel Alliance are going to notice!

Short version, no she was never trained at Luke's Academy I think either because she's a Bridger and he put her in hiding so he could help an old friend find his kidnapped son (Finn anyone?) or the First Order did try to kidnap Rey but she was left with a friend on Jakku who subsequently died but not before raising Rey well enough to survive which to me means he trained her but not with a light saber.

12. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    You lost me with any Mortis reference.

13. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I didn't realize that Entertainment Weekly were now the designated Keepers of the Star Wars canon........

Worker11811 likes this.
  14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    You have to understand how the Force works...it was a premonition. It's what Force users can do, but it only pertains to when future paths will cross, or when that person has a close connection to another person that he or she can sense. She can see into her future, and going to Achto was that future...she just doesn't know how, where, or when that will eventually happen, though. Kylo Ren was able to sense what her inner thoughts were when he was probing her mind — but the drawback to that, it opened his own mind and allowed Rey to read his thoughts, as well.

15. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    and gave her a mind wipe so she does not know. she does not live with regret this way

16. Worker11811

Worker11811 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I've always thought Rey was at the Academy and scattered with other survivors (if any).

17. jedi9617

jedi9617 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 16, 2016

hmm interesting q. I would have to say yes as well but the other thoughts make sense as well

18. Worker11811

Jan 6, 2016

Does Disney own Entertainment Weekly? If so, then yes.

19. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    ^^^^^^Well, when the actress playing the character is told that the character wound up somewhere (such as Jakku) when she was 5 ... I think I would take that actress's word on it.

20. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    Based on what we know from Pablo Hidalgo, Rey was left on Jakku long before the attack on the Academy.

21. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Was this confirmed in some published material that Pablo had a hand in, or confirmed in some tweet of his? Cuz he keeps saying his tweets are not to be considered canon.

22. Worker11811

Jan 6, 2016

The more I read from Pablo, the more it becomes clear that he's pulling his info out of this rectal orifice and not promulgating actual, canon information. Unless his canon is a misfire...

rumblewagon likes this.
  23. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    She had to be trained. I don't buy that she could master the Force in five minutes without any prior training. Though JJ has said that he wanted the Force to be less about midichlorians and bloodline, and instead be something you could have yourself if you believed (?). Which doesn't make any sense canon wise...

JediMatteus likes this.
  24. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015

it doesn't? They always talk about the Force as something you have feel, Believe etc

Dewback likes this.
  25. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    No, it doesn't make sense. If you have a high midichlorian count, you can use the Force. Mastering it takes a lifetime, even little 8 year old Anakin was deemed to old to start his training, and after 10 years he still hadn't mastered it. If Rey didn't have any previous training, then it's a major plot hole.

JediMatteus likes this.