main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Was Rey trained at Luke's Jedi Temple?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by clone3131, Dec 19, 2015.

1. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    No, it's not obvious at all. What we know is that Luke and other wise sages believe that the force is strong in the Skywalker family (and that the OT and PT show that there are differences in interpretation of the force by characters across time and space). That does not imply that it's exclusively a genetic trait. Just that certain families seem to have a facility with tapping into it. With the right training, attention, circumstances and dedication, anyone could at least try to achieve what the Skywalkers have. It's just very unlikely.

Worker11811 likes this.
  2. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    If she was, then she was in the ultra junior group.:) Judging from the flashback, she seems to be younger than the AOTC younglings when she is dropped off on Jakku.

3. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    Being careful here, I do believe we will not hear of midi-chlorians anywhere in this trilogy. I think the new story group does not want to give the hard tie to genetics or biological pass along, but wishes to retain the mystery of the Force and how it is strong with some, not so strong for others. Many - if not most - can tap into it to some degree with enough natural aptitude and most importantly, belief. Some are more able than others, and perhaps that ability is familial. Selecting Jedi candidates by some biological test and putting them in Academies does not seem to fit with the tone of this trilogy so far. I believe that Rey was no where near the Academy, and her connection is purely her aptitude that could be genetic ... but not necessarily direct Skywalker linked (a different subject).

4. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Amen. And they are right to do it. To be consistent with canon, they can ret-con midichlorians (in ancillary material) as part of the folly of the PT Jedi.

Dagobah Dragonsnake likes this.
  5. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Gary Stu officially i guess

Worker11811 and Dewback like this.
  6. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    when I read the title I said no way but after reading more, it's not a bad theory

7. RobbyV

RobbyV Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015

True, that pretty much was what J.J. said in a few interviews including these:
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/What...-Won-t-See-Star-Wars-Force-Awakens-75217.html
    http://www.slashfilm.com/jj-abrams-midi-chlorians/

It just occurred to me, that maybe they're really bringing back how the Force is channeled the way it was in ANH. Just like J.J., when I watched ANH in '77, my impression of the Force was something anyone could harness. It's just that some people have it in them (not through midi-chlorians) to harness the Force and some don't -- it's not even a question of degrees. You can harness them or you can't. Much like how you either fully believe in something or you don't, nothing in between.

Maybe it was the unique circumstances of Rey's childhood that made her a natural -- someone who could channel it by instinct -- by faith? We know that faith and belief in the unknown is ultimately driven by hope. Perhaps it was Rey's strong faith (and hope) and general optimistic outlook that she would someday see her family again that made her a natural. Maybe there aren't things such as Force-sensitives in the PT sense anymore -- just people who can and can't harness the Force by virtue of their mental state they are in because of their life experience.

And that interpretation might keep it open that Finn may also be able to someday harness it. I don't think he'll become a Jedi, but it'd be cool to see him harness it at least once, especially when it counts the most.

Dagobah Dragonsnake likes this.
  8. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Seeing as how midichlorians don't really change much of how the Force works psychologically, morally, or martially, that's really just unnecessary whinging. They can just say that the practice of measuring for them belongs to a bygone era of the Jedi Order that was derived from an attempt to incorporate every Force-sensitive they could in an effort to keep any from becoming immersed in the Dark Side of the Force. Besides, as we've already seen, there are already many fierce Jedi and Sith that did not rise to power on the basis of their own biological composition It pretty much fits the mindset of the Republic's Jedi seeing as how Darth Maul revealed that the Sith had managed to survive in the shadows for an entire millennium.

EDIT: Bow before my feats of necromancy! :p

9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    midis were just used for testing by the order. nothing needs a retcon.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  10. kenobisdeed

kenobisdeed Jedi Knight star 1

May 28, 2016
    In my opinion Rey HAS to have been trained as a Jedi prior to TFA. It's the only way her lightsaber and force proficiency can make any sense whatsoever.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  11. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Setting up specific pre-conditions a story has to meet in order to work is simply the way to prepare to dislike any diversion from that.

Fact is there are all sorts of ways the story can go - my personal take on it is that the title of the film is itself a big clue; the force awakened in Rey because it had to manifest with her to set in motion events leading to the force getting into balance.
    Add that to that the writing placed Rey in situations where the relative abilities were levelled, and the "overpoweredness" is mitigated significantly, assuming you are willing to go with it

DarthCricketer likes this.
  12. kenobisdeed

May 28, 2016
    ^^ I get what you mean and agree that there could be other backstories for Rey that could explain her overpoweredness in TFA. It's not so much that I'm setting myself up to be disappointed, there are no doubt multiple ways Reys proficiency with the force in TFA could be explained, many I could accept. What I cannot accept is if Rey's background turns out to be nothing more than what we already know. For example if she is simply an orphan left on Jakku etc and not much else in terms of the force then her suddenly becoming proficient with a lightsaber and the force makes no sense and contradicts all other lore on the subject. The mind wiped Jedi theory though would not.

13. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Why not try this then: saving your ire regarding "if this is all there is about this I'll be annoyed..." until after the other two films in the planned trilogy that you haven't yet seen?

The film *literally* had tantalising flashbacks of backstory that tell you the basics: she was abandoned on Jakku. Of COURSE we're getting more

DarthCricketer likes this.
  14. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    she was proficient. at all. she was lucky.

15. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015

As you said there are two movies it is still possible but as for setting up pre-conditions those pre-conditions exist based on passed evidence.

Regardless if you feel the force should be something genetic or possible to tap into the past movies, tv-shows, games and other SW content have held the universal fact that while you may gain supernatural reaction times, strengths, perception etc to actually tap into force abilities like force push or Jedi mind trick is something that had to be trained and learned from sometimes taking years to master. Luke Skywalker was born into a family considered to be strong in the force and he had difficulty pulling a lightsaber out of patch of snow. Before that he had Obi Wan one of the greatest Jedi Masters to teach him for a while anyway. If Rey was just able to tap into force abilities without any prior training it does denigrate and at least make the achievements of the past characters feel minuscule in comparison not to mention the process of becoming a Jedi feel cheap.

Obivously we don't know Rey's past she could be a Skywalker, a former student of the temple or maybe her powers came from the Awakening that was not given much context regardless we shouldn't make assumptions until we see the next film.

16. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015

Well she was able to use Jedi Mind trick which is a very complex use of the force in my opinion. Either that she has training or the writers plan to make her more powerful than both Anakin and Luke as they were not able to do that at any point in their infancy when they were learning about the force. I mean Luke gets the ability to hit a precise target as a result of the force as he was luckily able to tap into it, Anakin at 9 years old is able to navigate a ship through a battle and win a pod race but Rey here is using force pull and force mind trick. You cannot admit that they are making her to be kind of overpowered when compared to previous individuals who were strong in the force but had no training.

I am fine with it if there is a reasoning AKA that the awakening had something to do with or had training. If however, they don't explain it I definitely will find it completely odd as they are going against what had previously been the path of a Jedi and not in a good way.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

:D

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It's possible, but she was abandoned even before Kylo turned.

19. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    I don't think it's very plausible. When Finn mentions Luke to her when they first meet on Jakku she says "Luke Skywalker? I thought he was a myth."

20. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    i knew that was coming and i actually wrote it wrong. she wasn't proficient with the saber.

21. kenobisdeed

May 28, 2016
    Assumptions aside, I HOPE that it turns out Rey has been trained as a Jedi and has had her memories supressed. Or something equally plausible that would explain her being so ridiculously overpowered in TFA and that wouldn't contradict so much SW lore. It would also lift TFA up a little if you could go back and watch Rey knowing she was a Jedi and her old skills her coming to the fore instead of watching it wondering why the hell can she instantly become skilled in sabre combat etc. That would be nice.

22. Lazy_Ewok

Lazy_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2016
    Kenobisdeed: Maybe, that would explain why she is as skilled as she is. Luke could maybe explain that to her when they meet. I am not sure what would be the best way to do this in the movie but it would make sense and make Rey a better character than she is now.