main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Was Sidious doomed to fail?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by windu4, Nov 6, 2012.

1. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Sidious didn't feel the conflict inside of Anakin but Luke could?

2. tsunami1138

tsunami1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    See my previous post. Sidious most likely could. But he had written Vader off as a legitimate threat; he honestly believed in the loyalty of his apprentice, but he also believed that he could turn Vader into electrified mush if Vader ever tried anything. More fool the Emperor.

3. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    How old was Sidious when he died? Was Sidious 70 years old when he died?

4. tsunami1138

tsunami1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    Wookieepedia, in this case, is your friend. He was 86/87.

5. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    If the 87 year old Sidious was getting old, then I accept the way that he died.

6. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    His overconfidence was his weakness. The last person to worry him was likely Yoda some 25 years before, so at this point he probably thought himself infallible.

7. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Age although a factor, does not really have a lot to do with Jedi prowess or weakness. Yoda was damn good at fighting the emperor at 877? years old.

8. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Of course he was doomed to fail. The prophecy said so.

Neither the Sith nor the Jedi paid enough attention to the prophecy, and both Orders were destroyed because of it. The Jedi believed it, but didn't fully understand it. The Sith - Palpatine - seems to have convinced himself that his victory at the end of the Clone War invalidated it.

The Will of the Force is not something to be trifled with or ignored.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They understood it well enough. It is just that they assumed the Chosen One would not be a fallen Jedi. But even Obi-Wan in the ROTS novel admits that the prophecy does not say the Chosen One would be a Jedi.

10. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    So they understood it well enough, except for the part that they didn't understand well enough
    ;)

minnishe and Order66Survivor like this.
  11. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    Where and when did the prophecy come out? Who came up with the prophecy about the Chosen One?

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    If "they" includes Obi-Wan, they understood that part as well. It's more a question of their having an optimistic view of the way the prophecy would be fulfilled, as opposed to a pessimistic and somewhat counterintuitive one.

13. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    The real answer: the prophecy came out in TPM. GL came up with it.

The in universe answer: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chosen_One

14. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    If Luke Skywalker turned to the DarkSide of the force and became Darth something, then the two of them would just escape the Death Star 2 and the Rebellions Alliance would lose the war!!!!!

15. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    He wanted Luke Skywalker because Luke Skywalker was a younger, more powerful apprentice!!!!! George Lucas is a big fan of creating saga events/storylines/plot points that mirror each other!!!! Poetic justice, like father, like son!!!!

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm sure Sidious had an escape plan should anything happen to the DS2 with him onboard.

17. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Everything hinged on the shield generator being protected. He was completely convinced he suckered the rebel forces on the moon and was completely safe.

18. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    The conflict raging outside was of no real importance. It was the battle inside between the Lightside and the Darkside, the Jedi vs the Sith, that was of paramount import. The outcome of that battle would determine the fate of the galaxy.

Honestly, while I loathe the EU, I would really like an alternate timeline series of comics where Luke gave in to the Dark Side.

Honestly, Sidious was really off his rocker; in ROTS he seduced Anakin by offering to teach him a powerful Dark Side technique: How to prevent a loved one from dying.

He made Luke no such offer. Maybe Sidious should have blasted him with Sith Lightning first, before making the offer or during it, so that Luke would see first hand the power of the Darkside.

I don't know about you, but being offered to taught the ability to conjure lightning from your hands would be pretty tempting and certainly make me wanna join up! :p

19. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    It is my feelings that regardless of what Darth Sidous or Darth Vader did the Will of the Force did not favor anything that the Empire did when it came to Luke Skywalker. There was an imbalance in the prequel trilogy and all of the Jedi during that era were disconnected from the people in the galaxy. Of course they still protected them but how much did they really understand them? There were a lot of things going on during that time frame and under the watch of that Jedi Council they let things get away from them. The Will of the Force may have and I stress may have leaned towards a rebirth of the Jedi. In that sense no matter what they did in that time would have changed things because they had lost touch.

The Will of the Force was in Luke's favor in the Original Trilogy and in most cases he was with the Rebel Alliance and he knew what everyone was going through. He saw a lot of things up close and personal.

20. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    If the will of force forced a rebirth of the jedi, then how will we see everything in the next films? what will happen next then?

21. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    I believe that the Shaman of the Whills is where the prophecy of the Chosen One appeared. Qui-Gon Jinn apparently visited the Whills at some point and gained more insight into the prophecy. This also is most likely where he learned the ability to retain his identity after death. There is a book called the Whills that can actually be purchased. Palpatine began to ignore Vader in some instances because he was so sure that he could turn Luke. He began his same lines and game to Luke but Luke ignored him every time. Palpatine also could not sense Qui-Gon on the Endor moon as Vader/Anakin says to Palpatine "My son is with them." Palpatines reply "Are you sure? I have not felt him." Palpatine also became over confident. My favorite line of the entire trilogy is when Luke says to him "I am a Jedi." The look on Palpatines face as he goes silent is just priceless. "You have failed your highness". Another great line sent towards old Palps.

Yunners likes this.
  22. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    I should have edited this I said that Palpatine could not sense Qui-Gon. It should have been Luke that he could not sense. This is what I get for typing too fast. My apologies. [face_blush]

23. Frankakin skywalker

Frankakin skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2012

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If the generator had been destroyed, Sidious would have hopped on his shuttle. What Sidious failed to forsee was Vader's willingness to die for his family.

Darth Chiznuk and kainee like this.
  25. Frankakin skywalker

Frankakin skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2012
    A TRUE Sith would have waited after the Shield Generator was destroyed to see if his BIG fleet could destroy the Rebel's Fleet. And besides that who wouldn't want to swap a Old Robot for a Young healthy apprentice?