main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Sidious Right In Destroying The Jedi Order And The Republic?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by LordVader66, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    The Republic was crumbling, the Senate was corrupt. The Jedi Order was tied to this dying republic that shouldnt have been protected. Chancellor Palpatine wanted to bring peace and order to the galaxy, nothing more. If the Senate and Jedi could not bring peace to the galaxy, then shouldn't someone else have an oppertunity? The arrogant Jedi would always think that they could do the best job, but at the time, wasn't the answer someone else? The Sith and Jedi could never coexist and the republic was not a functional political system. Was Sidious Right In Destroying The Jedi Order And The Republic?

2. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    Were changes necessary? Yes. Should those changes have been implemented through the extermination of an entire order of beings and the forceful takeover of free planets? No.

3. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Were changes necessary? Yes. Should those changes have been implemented through the extermination of an entire order of beings and the forceful takeover of free planets? No.

Remember, Alderaan wasnt destroyed by a non-Sith for another 20 years. Its hard to answer that question because we only see the OT from the view of the separatists. Other parts of the GFFA may have florished under the order of the Sith versus the disorder of the Republic.

4. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    You won't get a argument from me that the Jedi were arrogant buffoons, but don't forget that the Peace and security that Palpatine was promising was Peace and Security from him. Palpatine was the one who destabilized the Republic with the Trade Blockade of Naboo all the way to the Separatist movement. Sideous was not Right in Destroying the Jedi. He was doing what he thought was right. the Jedi were just to blind and unaware to realize it till the plan was already to far along to stop. silly Jedi.

5. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    I'm not sure I understand the Alderaan reference. The beings I was referring to are the Jedi, and the "free planets" comment was a general reference to any planets in the galaxy that were free under the rule of the Republic, only to have those freedoms stripped away when it became the Empire. I understand your point about some planets possibly being more prosperous under Sith rule than Republic rule, though I think the majority of the galaxy hated the Empire. Luke said he hated it, and he was out there on Tatooine his whole life, far removed from the majority of its activities.

6. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Sideous was not Right in Destroying the Jedi. He was doing what he thought was right. And Im sure Sids thought that the Jedi did wrong destroying the Sith a millenium ago. :D Revenge of the Sith.

7. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    I won't say he was right, but I will say that the right thing was done.
    Sometimes you have to burn down the village to save it.

8. Lord_Pilaf

Lord_Pilaf Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2006
    For the intents and purposes of the Sith's revenge against the Jedi.. yes.

9. Fettist

Fettist Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2006
    If one is to answer your question honestly then you must take time to understand institutions on at least a general level. Sidious, if he honestly wanted peace, was just another agent of corruption which coincided with anyone in his position?s desire for control and gain power. He was right in when he told Anakin that anyone with power only wants more power. So as he came into power thus started his position of leader in another institution of manipulation and control as the Jedi order and Republic were swept away.

As institutions are never perfect they all share other imperfections besides that basic one: They are made up of persons in positions of power who, at whatever level they maintain, lust for more and more power. Sidious plays a role in this new Empire (another institution driven by its interests: more power) that is so intoxicating that he can only in his mind justify what he does by saying he is spreading democracy and initiates policies that attempt to protect their self created idea that they must monopolize the use of violence for a ?secure society?.

Now the Jedi were slightly different and more humane in that they were far more rational in their understanding of the world and in their justifications for the policies they followed.

Another realization that must be understood is that in no time in history will any galaxy, world, or country have peace. This can never happen when interests of institutions are contradictory to that of the people or species that exist within them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.