main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Star Wars better as a trilogy, rather than a saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_2Pac, Mar 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_2Pac

Darth_2Pac Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2003
    I personally disagree. I think the fact that it is now a six film saga adds to it's epic presenation. But does anyone here think that the prequels weren't necessary? That Perhaps it was a story that didn't need to be told? Did the triogy do just fine on it's own?

2. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    I can't be sure till 2006 when i watch it as an uninterupted epic. If any scenes or touch-ups are added they can only help the epic view. And if there are no additions, it would have little coninuty in my mind. The OT always seemed like a group's expliots(plural) and the PT as an adventure(singular) but a more personal kind.(more personal ect) I know that may not make sense to some but that's the best way I can put it into words. However some rewrites I have read mesh very well with the story telling technique used in the OT.

3. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I personally think it is better as a saga. When I watch the prequels I can sometimes put myself in the shoes of a first time viewer and I can see that, when completed, it will be truly the greatest story ever told.

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Saga > Trilogy.

PT bashers, have at thee! :D

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. KAKAMAN

KAKAMAN Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2003
    I was stoked when TPM came out. I was out of country at the time and didn't get a chance to see it 'till 3-4 months after it was released. In the OT you always heard about how awesome the jedi were, but you never really got too see it, until then. The PT toatally ties everything together. Definately better as a saga.

K

6. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    It is much better as a saga. Now I personally loved TPM *ducks flying projectiles thrown by bashers*, and I think it and AOTC tied the trilogy together.

You see, without the PT, the regular trilogy would have no background whatsoever. Without the PT, people would only think of Ben as "A crazy old hermit." Nobody would have known that he was really intelligiant, loyal, and one of the best and most respected Jedi's in the Temple. You were never even told Luke and Leia's mother's name! Way to much information would be left in the dark without the PT. The origins that the PT showed us were very important to the overall understandance of the saga.

If there was only the OT, so many questions would be left unanswered. So, I do think that SW is a saga, not a trilogy. :D

7. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    "the regular trilogy would have no background whatsoever."

That didn't prevent it from being hugely popular for over twenty years, and inspiring huge numbers of novels, comics, and parodies.

Sometimes, a little mystery is good.

8. Arwen_Solo

Arwen_Solo Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2003
    I think it could be considered better as a trilogy. Because no matter how good the prequels have done so far, it has never been able to suceed the first three, and it never will.

9. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    Well, usually the original are held in a higher place in the fans minds than the sequel, and that's all the PT is a second trilogy to compliment the first trilogy. That's why the OT still makes sense if you have never seen the PT. Even though it takes place before the OT it is the second installment in the saga as a whole. That's how GL chose to present his movies in installments of three. Why else would he have waited 16 years to do the PT. Some would have rode the SW wave all the way to the bottom but GL knew when to stop and he knew when to start again.

Mi dos republico creditos(dunno)

10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    IMO, no.
    I greatly appreciate the chance to see new things in the SW universe, and have so much more backstory to the OT films.

11. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    "GL knew when to stop and he knew when to start again."

You're half right. ;)

12. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I think it's better as the Star Wars Saga rather than the Star Wars Trilogy.

13. RahrKast

RahrKast Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2003
    Saga, saga, saga!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Seriously, since the first minutes of Episode 1, I saw SW as a saga from now on. Not only do I not compare the trilogies, but also not the movies.

14. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Was Star Wars better as a trilogy, rather than a saga?

Saga all the way!! :D

I love to know the background stories. Especially the OT becomes more interesting after the PT. I love their "memories of old times". You really have the same feelings as the characters.

cfr.
    - Yoda's "old friends long gone" , I always imagine Yoda thinking about Mace Windu, Jedi Council...
    - Obi-Wan's talk about the clone wars, then I always imagine his arrival at Kamino & the clone parade
    - Obi-Wan's talk about the old republic, then I see the senate, Coruscant... all before me

It's so much more fun, you feel more attached to it. Lucas does really a great job! :)

15. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    It's better as a saga. I always remember before the prequals I would ask myself "What were the Clone Wars?" "Who was Luke and Leia's mother?" ect. The PT has answered most of those questions.

16. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Saga. Without that perspective, this board wouldn´t exist ;)

17. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    For me, the prequels have so imeasurably enhanced the original films that I can't imagine the saga without them. It really is one big epic story, and making petty distinctions between the "old" and the "new" is pointless.

18. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Saga all the way, baby!

I love the PT. Personally I don't understand people who don't. GL always said these films were about the redemption of Anakin Skywalker. Growing up with the OT- I loved Darth Vader as being the greatest bad guy ever. When he offed the Emperor in ROTJ, I was always left a little confused- I was also confused as to why exactly Luke thought there was good in Vader.

TPM didn't do a lot for answering those questions, but AOTC certainly did. Watching the OT now, I see Vader as Anakin. I sympathize with him and each word, every guesture has a whole new meaning.

I never saw Anakin as a hero. But AOTC has really opened up my eyes to seeing him in a whole new light. In Joseph Campbell's "The Hero With a Thousand Faces" he counts that oftentimes the hero must journey to a land/realm in order to complete his hero deed. Oftentimes that journey results in pain for those left behind, and he has to delve into areas people fear. For Anakin, although he maybe didn't choose to go into the Darkside- it was a place where the Jedi feared and refused to venture- even Yoda. Only by living as a Sith, understanding evil does he truly learn the absolute power of Luke's selfless act at the end of ROTJ. And the good man who always existed at the core of Anakin Skywalker, finally defeated Vader.

Now when Anakin finally defeats the Emperor I cheer like mad. Anakin has returned from his journey. Although he has been scarred, he finally completed his destiny by restoring Balance to the Force.

Without knowing WHY this was so important, the OT stood well on it's own as being Luke's stories- but w/ the back history of Anakin filled in because of the PT- the OT is immeasurably, richer and more fascinating to watch.

19. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Great post, PadmeLeiaJaina. Very nice work.

Lots of support for the Saga, that's good to see. Even if you're someone that prefers the OT to the PT, it's hard not to admit that the PT does add so much to them. I just prefer not to have PT or OT, just The Saga.

20. C-Bjedi

C-Bjedi Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2003
    I'm a supporter of the Saga also. I'm just hopeful that Jedi George can pull off EPIII in a way that will satisfy hardcore fans. (He'll never please everyone)

Surely the Star Wars Saga will go down as one of the greatest fictional stories ever told.

21. amien

amien Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2002
    I think the OT is going to go down in movie history as "Star Wars", and the PT will be the "bad attempt at prequels". I'm not saying I dislike the PT, but I think that's generally how people will remember it.

I enjoy both trilogies, but I can't help but notice a distinct difference in them. They have completely different feels to them and it's hard for me to piece them together as one saga.

The PT does help enhance the OT, but the OT could definately stand without it. Sometimes a little mystery to the past is good for a film. I think the whole aspect of "what happened to Anakin/Obi-Wan/Yoda/Luke's Mom/Yoda/Republic/etc?" gave the OT a sense of depth. There was always a reference to the tragic past, and I think that was vital to the movies. Also, the veiwer could use their imagination, and it was always fascinating to try and figure out what happened to these characters and why. While the PT does satisfy many of these questions and does it well, I can't help but wonder if the loss of mystery will lose some of the OT's intrigue. (You could argue that the information will enhance the veiwing experience and allow us to see things in a different light ... but I'm sticking with my opinion.)

So yeah, in a way, I think SW was better as a trilogy - but on the other hand, I think the PT fills out the characters in the OT. But as a question of withstanding time, I think the OT will be remembered and regarded much more highly than the PT, which may be seen as "the prequel attempt".

22. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Hah! That´s all I´m saying: Hah!

23. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Sorry if that was off topic.

The entire Star Wars saga is such a great story that I wouldn´t exchange it for a billion spacebucks. It has a depth now that it could just scrape the surface of back in the good old trilogy-days.
    I´m saying "good old trilogy-days", because those were truly good days, when you could speculate about what had happened before, who Luke&Leia´s mother was and things like that. Wonderful times! However, it´s even better now, when we´re shown what actually happened.

24. vampire-jing

vampire-jing Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2002
    Saga all the way.

25. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Ditto for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.