Was Star Wars better as a trilogy, rather than a saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_2Pac, Mar 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod

star 6
    I like the OT more than the PT but still, I agree that SW is better as a saga!
  2. DarthSil Jedi Master

star 4
    A saga, definitely. How can you possibly watch Darth Vader in the OT now and not be reminded of the tragedies in his past? Like it or not, the PT has forever changed the way we watch the OT.
  3. Leonard_Shelby Force Ghost

star 6
    Most definitely as a Saga. :)

I love how they're showing how the main characters got to where they are at the beginning of Episode IV. The new movies have added so much depth and layers to the first three movies. I defy anyone to not shed a tear at the deaths of Yoda and Vader in ROTJ since AOTC has been released. I guarantee those two scenes will be even more heart-breaking after Ep. III is released and the Saga is fully-completed...

Yep. It's not SW without the first two...and eventually three Episodes. The PT has forever changed and shaped the way I look at the overall SW story. And I absolutely love it... [face_love] :D

Shelby
  4. Valiowk Force Ghost

star 6
    I feel, as a saga. It seems that it can never hurt to have more knowledge of the events that happened in SW; rather, it gives us a more indepth insight into each of the characters. It enables us to sympatise with Anakin, Obi-Wan, perhaps even Palpatine. It tells us how the downfall of the entire system was so terrible, how so many worlds came into captivity, a huge, stark contrast from before.

There is a story behind every character. The more is unfolded, the more powerful, the more entrenching is the entire saga.
  5. Valkor Jedi Master

star 4

Definitely Trilogy

The OT will stand the test of time while the PT is long forgotten, unless of course Episode III turns out to be any good, which I sincerely doubt it will. que lastima.
    When I watched TPM and AOTC I never once felt the same "magic" I felt or still feel when I watch the OT.
    .v.
  6. Pfft Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Saga. Even though it flows as well as a the Snowy.
  7. La_Capitan Jedi Knight

star 1
    Trilogy.

In 50 years people will still say stuff like:
    "i am your father."
    "i love you." "i know."

Nobody will say:
    "Weesa goin home!" or
    "I slaughtered the women and childeren like animals!"

The OT is just so much better and can't get dragged down by the less exciting PT. They are definatly seperate trilogies.
  8. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    Definitely as a Saga. When the dust is settled from EpIII, and we're waiting on the DVD set, it'll be worth all the speculating and excitement. You'll see... ;)

It will truly stand the test of time, both OT and PT. How many of you wondered at the grandiose hinted at of the "Old Republic", but could never imagine because the Empire days were so drab? For me there was always the feeling that the GFFA - before the "dark times" - was a place reminescent of the Renaissance era in our own history, full of chivalrous Jedi Knights, political intrigue, pirates, etc. The PT is doing a wonderful job of "closing the gaps", Luke and Leis' mother, who Anakin Skywalker was, who Obiwan was, Yoda, you get the picture... and the PT offered up some of the best characters in the saga - Qui Gonn Jinn, Mace Windu, Jango Fett...etc.
  9. Jedi_Master201 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Saga. When all is said and done, it will be remembered as one, entire saga, and I doubt it will be forgotten before our society dies away. Perhaps it will even outlast that, like the Greek myths....
  10. La_Capitan Jedi Knight

star 1
    and the PT offered up some of the best characters in the saga - Qui Gonn Jinn, Mace Windu, Jango Fett...etc.

Qui Gonn and Windu are very cool (i didn't personaly like jango as much as others)but Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, Lando, and all the rest from the OT are on a whole nother level. Their characters were written so well, and the Actors were so great, that the PT can't compete. They are two seperate trilogies.
  11. GrandAlmightyMaster Jedi Knight

star 2
    I think its better as a saga because when you watch the OT you can relate better to the charecters.
  12. -Lord-Vader- Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think it is better as a saga.

Im not absolutly sure why, but it just seems better. I have reasons but I just can't express them. 8-}
  13. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  14. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Trilogy.

The PT will be lost and forgotten while the OT will be known as "Star Wars" many decades from now. Had the original spirit of Star Wars been preserved, i.e.- special effects used to tell a story, not as the story- I think my opinion would be much different. We can get the same crap we got from Episodes I & II by watching The Matrix: Cool special-effects-driven film product glued together within a weak, poorly directed, and predictable script. Cinematic Spam, if you will.

I do like the PT (TPM much more than AOTC. Yes, there is another one of us out there), but the true spirit of SW died a tragic death after 1983, and George Lucas held the smoking gun (in the guise of his fascination with digital technology, emotionless direction, and his inability to write dialogue that is even close to realistic). Give us a story, George, not special effects!!!!

15. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Wow....never in my wildest dreams would I lump The Matrix with TPM or AOTC. ?[face_plain]
  16. kekesun Jedi Knight

star 1
    Definitely saga.The PT added a lot of depth to the whole story.
  17. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    Really, though...as trite and as probably driven-into-the-ground as this is gonna sound, there actually *is* a story there, for those who truly wish to analyze it, and with quite some degree of complexity, too.

(::: Runs away to sob uncontrollably :::)
  18. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Saga definately for all the reasons posted.
    And for every fan who said the PT will be forgotten, there's so far been two fans who say it won't. That along ill keep it around.
    Plus, you have all the new fans because of the PT. They just aren't living on message boards yet as they're still young.
    I think in the end when all the changes are made, it will flow as one saga nicely.
    Besides, do you think Lucas would really sell the trilogies seperately?
    If you buy one, the other's coming with it anyway.
    In time, future generations will see it as one saga.
    Course, we'll all be old and grey or dead by then to really appreciate it.
  19. La_Capitan Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think in the end when all the changes are made, it will flow as one saga nicely.

You're not talking about changes to the OT are you? Leave them alone. They are great, and don't need to be changed to agree better with the PT.
  20. SomeRandomNerd Force Ghost

star 4
    Looking at the original film, I think it's better as "Star Wars" (ie. a standalone film) than as the first film in a trilogy. Much as I love ESB and ROTJ, I don't think they improve the original film.

But I think the original trilogy is better as a part of a six episode saga than as a standalone trilogy.

If that makes any sense...
  21. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I don't think it's better as a trilogy. I love the saga.

Although IIRC, it was always referred to as a saga. The promos for ESB said, "The saga continues..."
  22. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    You're not talking about changes to the OT are you? Leave them alone. They are great, and don't need to be changed to agree better with the PT.

As movies yes. As one long story, no.
    Relax, that's just my view and my view alone. Does it matter that I'm George Lucas :confused:
  23. anakinsrightarm Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think the original trilogy stands on its own just fine. I think it works without the NEED to tell the backstory...alluding to it (rather than showing it) is a great tool in and of itself.

That being said, I PREFER the fullness of the complete picture and think it will make a fine 6-part saga. All of the events of the OT are made FULLER and more interesting given the back story...especially in the case of Vader's redemption. I think ROTJ has been made much more believable and sincere watching Anakin's life unfold in the prequels.

I've enjoyed the story of the prequels MORE than the story (plot here) of the originals....much more depth and interest for me. On the other hand, I think the OT characters are warmer and more likeable, but I also think the nature of the story helps determine this....(pre-Empire...more regal/formal....post-Republic...more swagger, less formal). I think both "sets" of movies have nice contrast, yet there's a thread of continuity (stylistically) that tie them together nicely.

As a completist I'm GLAD the prequels were made...and I've been extremely happy with how they've turned out.
  24. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    Looking at the original film, I think it's better as "Star Wars" (ie. a standalone film) than as the first film in a trilogy. Much as I love ESB and ROTJ, I don't think they improve the original film.

You've spent too much time hanging out with Binary Sunset, SRN. 8-}
  25. SomeRandomNerd Force Ghost

star 4
    Nah, I've been saying it for years. (Actually, I was first told to look out for B_S after I posted something about telekenesis being introduced in ESB- I hadn't heard of him at the time, and I don't think I've heard of anyone else who shares our POV since!)

Admittedly, I'm not as vocal about it as he is, but that's because I prefer not to "focus on the negative."

:)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.