main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was the "Chosen One" subplot really neccesary?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by NorCalBirdz, Jun 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    I have been thinking about this for awhile.

Do you think that the subplot of the prophecy of the Chosen One was really neccesary for the prequel trilogy? I think that it's a lame cliche that did absolutely nothing to enhance the storyline. There's no part of the story that couldn't be told without the prophecy subplot. In fact, I find it almost degrading. Sure, Anakin eventually destroyed the Sith, but at what cost? He didn't pro-actively save the galaxy by fulfilling the prophecy, but simply just cleaned up the huge mess he helped to create, about thirty years too late I might add.

What do you guys think?

2. nyjet10

nyjet10 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 1, 2005
    I agree, bad idea unless Palpatine was telling the truth.

3. son-of-skywalker13

son-of-skywalker13 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 27, 2002
    i like it, but i really am bothered that there was almost no explaining going on of what the chosen one was or what he was supposed to do. What is balance to the force? That and it would have been nice to see the whole prophecy at some point, or hear it all at one point.

4. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    I don't agree. The "Chosen One" Plot makes the finale of ROTJ much stronger. Anakin defeats the Sith - ie Evil - and brings peace to the galaxy.

5. Maranelo_Jori

Maranelo_Jori Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    I really hate everything about prophecy and the "Chosen One" thing.Why Anakin have to be the most powerfull jedi ever?I think its stupid.It would be much better if Anakin wanted to be most powerfull,but have to do something for it.Train hard and such.Not just be created by the force so he have great potencial.F
    For me,this thing ruined character of Anakin Skywalker.

6. Guy DuBlanc

Guy DuBlanc Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2000
    The prophecy of the Chosen One was very necessary. That was the resaon Anakin was even trained to become a Jedi. Anakin was too old. He should not have been trained to be a Jedi, especially with his strong attachment to his mother. The Jedi Council was NOT going to allow Anakin to be trained. But because of the strange nature of Anakin's birth and his off-the-charts midichlorian count, Qui-Gon believed Anakin to be the Chosen One. It was for this reason that he insisted Anakin be trained. The Council only reluctantly goes along with it.

The prophecy also gives Anakin's character greater significance. He wasn't just an ordinary Jedi that fell to the dark side. He was the most powerful Jedi ever. This was important because if it wasn't for this fact, I don't think Palpatine would have been very interested in him. It was because of the prophecy and his huge power that Palpatine wants Anakin on his side. He needs someone of Anakin's strength to take down the Jedi Order.

The Chosen One aspect is not a "subplot." It is integral to the story of Anakin Skywalker.

As usual, Lucas is right and you guys are wrong.

7. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    I agree that it was necessary. It made anakin more important, as was mentioned. HOwever, think about it. In the long run, anakin didn't accomplish vary much. All he did was getr rid of the sith for like, 10 years, then more dark jedi and such started popping up. ANywho that's my opinion on the matter.

8. Lixsta

Lixsta Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    The chosen one was necessary, why do you think Anakin throughout the whole movie always b*tched that he should be more powerful??

9. DDRmaster101

DDRmaster101 Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    The Chosen one subplot enhanced Anakin as a character. It made his ambitions more real and believable. He was becoming so powerful he really did think he could save Padme and be the greatest force user of all time. His lust to live up to his destiny led to his downfall.

10. poe077

poe077 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 28, 2000
    i didnt mind it so much until yoda goes and says something like "a prophecy misread might have been."
    that line just skews the whole thing for me. its left open and unanswered now. how was it misread is what i'd like to know. and obi-wan and mace seem to nod in agreement like, hey we just screwed up.

11. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    The prophecy also gives Anakin's character greater significance. He wasn't just an ordinary Jedi that fell to the dark side. He was the most powerful Jedi ever. This was important because if it wasn't for this fact, I don't think Palpatine would have been very interested in him. It was because of the prophecy and his huge power that Palpatine wants Anakin on his side. He needs someone of Anakin's strength to take down the Jedi Order.

The Chosen One aspect is not a "subplot." It is integral to the story of Anakin Skywalker.

As usual, Lucas is right and you guys are wrong.

I must respecfully disagree with you.

The prophecy also gives Anakin's character greater significance. He wasn't just an ordinary Jedi that fell to the dark side. He was the most powerful Jedi ever.

He could have been the most powerful Jedi ever without the prophecy

He needs someone of Anakin's strength to take down the Jedi Order.

Anakin did very little "taking down" of the Jedi Order, in fact, one of my biggest gripes with the movie is that Anakin was virtually unnecessary to the Jedi Purge. Order 66 could have wiped out all of the Jedi, easily. Anakin was not needed to "help hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights".

It was because of the prophecy that he wants Anakin

If that's the only reason then why does he want Luke?

12. Magnotta

Magnotta Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    I think the prophecy of the choosen one has a lot of relevance really. I mean, it's what makes Vader even worse: the fact that the most powerfull jedi ever, created by the force even, is a sith lord. Had he just been a regular jedi that turned evil, it wouldn't have been as big a deal.

13. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    The "Chosen One" Plot makes the finale of ROTJ much stronger. Anakin defeats the Sith - ie Evil - and brings peace to the galaxy.

Well the Death Star gets blown up by the Rebels and would have ended the Emperor's life anyway. So Anakin wasn't necessary in the final analysis.

The worst part is that he midi's were not necessary at all. They proved no useful purpose.

14. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Well the Death Star gets blown up by the Rebels and would have ended the Emperor's life anyway. So Anakin wasn't necessary in the final analysis.

I respectfully disagree. If Luke Skywalker, injured and dragging his dying father, has time to get off the Death Star, than certainly the grand Emperor has not only the foresight but ability to escape it as well.

15. AnakinSkywalker082

AnakinSkywalker082 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2005
    " If that's the only reason then why does he want Luke? "

He's the last of the jedi...palpatine doesnt have much of a choice if he wants a new apprentice

16. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    :::The worst part is that he midi's were not necessary at all.

Of course, they (midichlorians) were necessary.

Palps brought them up in the same conversation when he mentions Master Plegueis 'creating life' (through 'manipulating the Midichlorians'), and 'stopping the ones he loved from dying'.

This, of course, brought much vexation to The Chosen One.

The Chosen One may have been created by a Sith Lord, but, in the end, the Force turned that thing on its head, and the Prophesy WAS fulfilled.

17. Jedi_Aron_Tylander

Jedi_Aron_Tylander Jedi Youngling star 3

May 29, 2004
    The prophecy of the Chosen One was very necessary. That was the resaon Anakin was even trained to become a Jedi. Anakin was too old. He should not have been trained to be a Jedi, especially with his strong attachment to his mother. The Jedi Council was NOT going to allow Anakin to be trained. But because of the strange nature of Anakin's birth and his off-the-charts midichlorian count, Qui-Gon believed Anakin to be the Chosen One. It was for this reason that he insisted Anakin be trained. The Council only reluctantly goes along with it.

The prophecy also gives Anakin's character greater significance. He wasn't just an ordinary Jedi that fell to the dark side. He was the most powerful Jedi ever. This was important because if it wasn't for this fact, I don't think Palpatine would have been very interested in him. It was because of the prophecy and his huge power that Palpatine wants Anakin on his side. He needs someone of Anakin's strength to take down the Jedi Order.[i/]

This might be the explanation ive been loooking for.

18. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Anakin did very little "taking down" of the Jedi Order, in fact, one of my biggest gripes with the movie is that Anakin was virtually unnecessary to the Jedi Purge. Order 66 could have wiped out all of the Jedi, easily. Anakin was not needed to "help hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights"

Mace would've killed Sidious.

Palpatine needed Anakin on his side because he was a great threat if not turned, which is the exact same reason why Palpatine didn't want "the son of Skywalker" to be a Jedi in ESB. Also, Anakin was necessary cause he was able to catch all of the Jedi in the temple by suprise - if they simply saw an army storming at the temple they'd have been able to fight back more aggressively.

Look at the youngling fighting next to Bail, he takes down a bunch of Clones with 2 moves - imagine the whole lot of them had been able to fight together.

He could have been the most powerful Jedi ever without the prophecy

True, but now he feels he deserves to be the most powerful Jedi. That's the difference.

The worst part is that he midi's were not necessary at all. They proved no useful purpose.

They provide a better insight into the force and the people able to use it. Plus, if you choose to believe Palpatine, which i don't, then it has a magnificent purpose in the entire saga.

Because, after 20 years of servitute from Vader, he stops believing in the prophecy? Or because he believes Luke, the son of the chosen one, to hold the same potential? Because he's bored with Vader?

There are enough reasons for him to want Luke.

- O_F

19. Ididitall4thewookie

Ididitall4thewookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2004
    I think the Chosen One things was totally unnecessary, not to mention distracting, cliche and cheesy. Anakin could have been one of the most powerful Jedi without this stuff. As to it being necessary to train him, his strength in the force (if it was as badass as it was supposed to be) alone could have been an explanation for that.

However, and I have said this before, instead of GL making an attempt to tell the best story possible with the best acting and patient direction in the PT, he decided to basically give an essay on the ideal "anti-hero" with cool effects, everything else be damned.

20. lordevil

lordevil Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2005
    Well, this is my first post and it's an idead I've had since TPM.
    What if "The Prophecy" was a trick of The Sith prior to their earlyier defeat? The Jedi find out tthat a major Sith Lord has had a vision that their order would be destroyed utterly by a "Chosen One". The Sith try very hard to hide this from The Jedi(unsuccessfully, of course). The Jedi put stock into it because it supports their understanding of The Force. There's more to this, but my time is up on the Librarie's Computer.

21. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Was the "Chosen One" subplot really neccesary?

No. It was necessary that Anakin was very strong in the Force. Both the SIth and Jedi's interest in him would make little sense without that, but otherwise, it is completely unnecessary. If it were necessary, we would know more about it, as an audience, than we do.

Midis are not necessary at all. They barely get mentioned in the PT (and not in the OT0. The Plaguis story works without the midis. All it requires is that Plaguis was able to use the dark side to cheat death. The "how" doesn't matter. It's the force, we don't need a "how".

22. Sith_Lord_Magnus

Sith_Lord_Magnus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    I'd say no it wasn't a good idea.

23. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    It was necessary indeed. Why not have the Chosen One subplot? It gives the backstory that we didn't know about before more substance and it gives the reason why Anakin and his children are so strong with the Force.

24. Guy DuBlanc

Guy DuBlanc Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2000

Good question. Let's go to Lucas himself for the answer (from Vanity Fair, Feb. 2005, p. 167):

"Anakin, as Skywalker, as a human being, was going to be extremely powerful. But he ended up losing his arms and a leg and became partly a robot. So a lot of his ability to use the Force, a lot of his powers are curbed at this point, because, as a living form, there's not that much of him left. So his ability to be twice as good as the Emperor disappeared, and now he's maybe 20 percent less than the Emperor. So that isn't what the Emperor had in mind. He wanted this really super guy, but that got derailed by Obi-Wan. So he finds that, with Luke, he can get a more primo version if he can turn Luke to the Dark Side."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.