main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Was the CIS military cool?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Slicer87, Nov 23, 2015.

?

Was the CIS military cool?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Well do you think the CIS military was cool? Or was it uninteresting to you? Personally I think they were a neat fraction in Star Wars with so many interesting units and designs.

2. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Found them rather boring, actually.

Howard Hand and WriterMan like this.
  3. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Preaching to the choir by posting this poll in the PT forum ;)

I'd say they were very uncool but still interesting. An army of robots & unmanned robotic ships are the opposite of cool, but still formidable & worked within the story.

5. Palp Fiction

Palp Fiction Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    "Cool" ? [face_laugh]

This is how cool they were:
    [​IMG]

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  6. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I don't think they were supposed to be cool (with some exceptions like Droidekas). It was certainly not in Palpatine's interests if they were too effective (who knows, Dooku might decide he doesn't want to be an old apprentice anymore).

CIS Droid likes this.
  7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Love the droid designs. Oddly as a kid I remember finding the dwarf spider droids cute like one finds a dog cute

Admittedly I sorta still do....

8. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    They were extremely cool. Droidekas, super battle droids, hailfire droids, commando droids if you count TCW....all awesome. Not to mention some neat vehicles they had too like the AAT.

9. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    I thought they were awesome. I think they went overboard with the comedic battle droids in TCW - I prefer their TPM portrayal - but I love the CIS.

10. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    In the PT and multimedia project yes, in TCW they were kinda ruined with comic relief.

I liked Riff Tamson though.

Davak24 likes this.
  11. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    I kind of find the irony that even though the CIS are supposed to be the bad guys, their choice of using droids was more ethical than the Republic using clones.

12. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    When I used to play The Clone Wars video game released in 2002, after Episode II, I thought they were cool. I was very intrigued by the concept of "Clone Troopers" vs "Battle Droids", man vs machine, and how much details was put in order to describe such as huge conflict as the Clone Wars, I've almost felt it was real. The Clone Wars era (Episode II and III) remain my favorite era in the entire saga.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  13. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I've always thought that the CIS were really cool.

They have a much more diverse leadership than the empire, with various alien races, instead of all human males (not counting EU).

I like how in Episode II onwards, the armies are a hodgepodge of various corporate factions.

The B1's are from the Trade Federation, the Super Battle Droids are from the Techno Union, the Hailfire's are from the Intergalactic Banking Clan, the Spider droids are from the Commerce Guild, the Snail tanks are from the Corporate Alliance.

It really helps sell the idea that the army is built up from various sources, and is a great opportunity for showing of loads of unique designs.

14. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    several years ago, an old friend of mine invited me to watch star wars. I had already watched star wars, but i thought it could be fun to watch with someone else. Thats when The phantom menace played on the screen. I was confused, this isn't the star wars i know.I quickly realized this was a star wars movie we did not have on VHS back home. I really enjoyed the battledroids design and different voices, (especially OOM 9). I loved the veichles, MTT, troop carriers STAPS and AAT´s. I do remember the moment where the Battledroids became some of my favorite star wars characters. "Open fire" "Seize fire" the sound of the MTT and how it deployed the Battledroids. And the moment started "activate the droids" que the droid activation scene with its fantastic music. It still remains one of my favorite star wars moments. Also loved the Vulture droids and droidekas.

Then Attack of the clones happened and the CIS was formed and Dooku and the B2 battledroid appeared. The few episodes of the micro series that i watched featured Battledroids and they were, okay. Cool to see them use sniper rifles and a bazooka.

RotS introduced the invisible hand which were at the time my favorite star wars ship,TRI fighters, buzz droids, magna guards and General Grievous. But it was also the end of the Confederacy i loved. All the characters i loved died. Dooku, Grievous and Nute Gunray. Because Nute Gunray was in all three movies it was sad to see him die in RotS.

Then the clone wars movie happened and i enjoyed it. Nowadays, i can't get past the Teth sequence. Anyways, the clone wars movie had great CIS scenes, like the opening battle and the battle at Teth. Then the show premiered and i liked it from the first 5 episodes. I loved the droid army in Ambush, the introduction of the Malevolence in the Malevolence arc (great design) and commando droids.

I didnt care that the Droids had different voices after AotC. The droids are still great. So, yes. The CIS is cool.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  15. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    What kind of question is this ?
    Of course they were .
    BTW I can't stand the misconception that they were fools in TPM and AOTC , they were not . It all started with ROTS and escalated with TCW .

Slicer87 and CIS Droid like this.
  16. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015

It is annoying. Even though i like the RotS/TCW version its weird that people say they were fools in TPM and AotC. I guess because of the C3po battledroid in episode 2?

17. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    So sue me if I get a chuckle out of the 3PO-battle droid gag
    The delivery of "DIE, JEDI DOGS! Oh, what did I say?" is priceless. And of course "My legs aren't moving. I must need maintenance" from whomever did the droid's voice - golden xD

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

TX-20, Slicer87, Davak24 and 2 others like this.
  18. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I would say the designs are certainly unique, particularly from the walkers and the ships. The battle droids, on the other hand, seem to be "cooler" when they're big in numbers. To be honest, the only villains I ever found "cool" in Star Wars were the Sith.

I think people are misinterpreting the question. They're comparing the Battle Droids to the Imperial Army. The question clearly asks if you think the CIS Military is cool, which includes the battle droids and everything else that's used in the Separatist Army. That's a fair comparison.

CIS Droid likes this.
  19. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015

Hey, i also like 3PO in the arena. And his battledroid counterpart. Its silly, but i love it. Does anyone know who voiced the movie battledroids? Im curious who it is.

20. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001

Love that era too. I read military science fiction and has a casual interest in the military history - the Clone Wars period is the most realistic in terms of the military depiction (even without TCW and EU). The clone army especially is very believable (they even got a Navy Seal to do movement for them, talk about attention to detail).

I wonder what the original idea for the Clone Wars was (some people think it was just a cool-sounding throwaway line in ANH but Lucas usually had some idea about the backstory). Was it the "idealistic crusade" Luke's father left for or was it something else?

darklordoftech and CIS Droid like this.
  21. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    I remember those b******s being annoying as hell in the 2002 clone wars game. :p

I also remember owning a lego one that came with a Kashyyyk 2005 ROTS lego set.

Slicer87 likes this.
  22. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    Lego has made a few different versions of spider droids over the years.

23. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007

Yea, one came with a hailfire droid in 2007 or 2008 I believe.

24. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    While not my favorite faction, I do think the CIS is overall cool. I especially love the designs of the super battle droids, hailfire droids and droidekas. I admit I'm not that crazy how TCW treated the CIS, just seemed like they weren't that much of a threat. Now that's probably why I like the clone wars multimedia project so much, the CIS seemd like a legitimate threat. To be fair though I do think TPM did the battle droids the best, unemotional war machines.

Slicer87 likes this.
  25. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Aw, weren't they the ones that exploded on ground missions when you destroyed them?
    I have fond memories of that game.... damn. Now I want to play it