main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Was the lighting a problem?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Jozgar, May 29, 2018.

?

Was the lighting a problem?

1. Nope, I could see everything just fine

51 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. Yes, I couldn’t see anything at some points

42 vote(s)
    45.2%
  1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    All I can say about the lighting is that I didn't know there was a problem with it until I read it here. I didn't notice it at all on my first viewing, and it didn't bother me on my second viewing, after I was aware of it.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    There isn't a general lighting problem. Just a projection issue at a number of theaters that haven't been able to handle Young's cinematography.

3. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    Yes! I saw it on a sunday evening the weekend it came out and did think the film was very badly lit and shot in some scenes.During the Kessel mission for example,i could not tell who Chewie went back for in the tunnels because it was so dark.It was only when they got to the bright open space where the falcon was parked did i realize they were wookies!

Some shots in the falcon cockpit had very dim blue lighting which i thought was kind of weird,particularly the conversation between Qira and that L3 robot.

4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It's a projection issue. I saw it at a different theater for a 5th viewing, and it was really dim. The first four times was perfect.

La Calavera likes this.
  5. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I'm also assuming it's a projector issue of some theaters. I was aware of the complaints of the movie being too dark, but I didn't have any trouble visualizing the movie when I saw it.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  6. Darth Saddius

Darth Saddius Jedi Knight

Dec 24, 2015
    I saw Solo in a 3D Imax screen in central London and had no problem with the lighting. Tonally I felt it was darker (i.e. vis-a-vis lighting) than other SW films and assumed that this was because of the crime/noir vibe of the film.
    It's an interesting question though and I was intrigued to read how many people experienced inconsistent projection between different cinemas. I naively thought that in this day and age projection would be much more consistent. This may be because I mainly watch films at home and only drag my bag of bones up from the outer rim to London to watch something I really must see on the big screen eg SW films, BR2049 etc. I have pretty much only been to the same two cinemas over the last 3 or 4 years. I also wonder if, given that some blockbusters are, by design, bright shiny and colourful (not that there's anything wrong with that) some viewers are conditioned by that to an extent?
    I watch all sorts of films from old noir and B and W comedies from the 30s, 40s and 50s, euro-art movies from the 60s and 70s, mainstream modern stuff etc so I'm kind of used to wildly varying tones betwixt films. Maybe that has an impact?

7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No need to assume. The evidence is clear. This is the result of inconsistent projection across cinemas.

TCF-1138 likes this.