Discussions Was the Phantom Menace better than the Holiday Special?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by gambit420, Jun 7, 2013.

Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. gambit420 Force Ghost

star 2
    Yes I'm serious. Just saw it for the first time. There was alot of rubbish... altho I was entertained by a few parts (Boba fett Cartoon, seeing Han / Chewie in falcon, Luke in the hangar). Maybe even more so than when I saw Episode I back in 1999.
    Choosing from a list

From the options:

• poll

Random selection is: poll

Big_Benn_Klingon likes this.
  2. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
    I don't know, I haven't seen The Holiday Special so I can't compare it.
  3. gambit420 Force Ghost

star 2
    It can be life-changing.
  4. PiettsHat Force Ghost

star 4
    Hmmm...well, I TPM is my third favorite Star Wars movie, just a hair ahead of ESB. And I've never seen the Star Wars Holiday Special either so I'm going to need a second opinion. Do you think ESB is better than the Holiday Special? If it is, then TPM is as well. But if it isn't, it's likely that TPM is also worse than the Holiday Special. If you could help me out with this, that'd be great. :)
  5. Carbon1985 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I saw the Holiday Special in 1978 when it premiered, and even as a 6 year old kid I remember it being unwatchable. I don't remember much, but do remember them showing Chewbacca's family. I would like to see it again just to see how bad it is since I haven't seen it in over 33 years. To answer the question: ANYTHING is better then the Holiday Special!
    Last edited by Carbon1985, Jun 7, 2013
    Ordo N-11 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  6. gambit420 Force Ghost

star 2
    In all of my years I have never heard anyone say TPM is ahead of the ESB. I cannot help you. Sorry :(
    Falcon likes this.
  7. gambit420 Force Ghost

star 2
    Hey Carbon1985, you still got Garbage pail kids?
  8. Rachel_In_Red Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I would like to see The Holiday Special just to see how bad it really is. The same reason I saw Battlefield Earth. :)
  9. gambit420 Force Ghost

star 2
    Maybe if your lucky, Disney will release it this Christmas [face_laugh]
  10. gambit420 Force Ghost

star 2
    Hey Rachel, where'd you get that picture from.... I've seen it before
  11. Aaronaman Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Here in New zealand the Star wars Christmas Special actually played in cinemas.....and yes I was unlucky enough to see it haha.
    There is NO way TPM could ever be considered worst than the SWCS!!! Yes the Fett cartoons were cool but even they couldn't save the CS.

George Lucas has stated he'd love to go around the world and smash every copy of the SWCS and he never said that about TPM.
  12. gambit420 Force Ghost

star 2
    But he would also love to do that with every copy the Original Trilogy..... didn't he personally burn up the original negatives in a fire?
    janstett and DarthDuckie like this.
  13. Jedi_Ford_Prefect Force Ghost

star 4
    Here's two-- TPM > ESB.
  14. MOC Yak Face Moderator, Classic Trilogy

Manager
    star 4
    This is an hilarious thread. Well done.
  15. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
    Sure it can, maybe if ur a squirrel.
    Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  16. KilroyMcFadden Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I watch (and derive unintentional joy from,) the Holiday Special every Christmas. I haven't seen GL's version of TPM since about 2007. I never thought about it before, but I think it's possible that I legitimately like the SWHS more than TPM!
    Last edited by KilroyMcFadden, Jun 8, 2013
  17. Jarren_Lee-Saber Force Ghost

star 4
    Here's three: TPM > ROTS > ESB.
    Welcome to the PT section of the Jedi Council Forums :D
  18. Jarren_Lee-Saber Force Ghost

star 4
    And to answer your question:
    As the good Carbon1985 said, ANYTHING is better than the SWHS! And The Phantom Menace so supremely better, I don't even know why we're having this discussion!
    Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. darth ladnar Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    In my view, TPM is an okay film. Certainly better than any of those Michael Bay Transformers movies or Wolverine or most non-Iron Man Marvel films. To me it was at least as good as any of the Harry Potter films I've seen (only the 1st three I think). I even liked it more than the praised 2009 Star Trek, but that's more because I'm really bugged by plot holes and inconsistencies, and Star Trek had tons of major ones. People just had such high expectations that TPM was a big letdown.

The Star Wars holiday special is just terrible. Apart from the kind of cool Boba Fett cartoon, it's really unwatchable. At times it's fun to make fun of, but it's so bad that you often can't make snarky comments about it. Often all you can say is "This is terrible" or "This is so bad" or "What were they thinking?" I think maybe if you were drunk or high you might get more of a kick out of it.

So, my verdict. The Holiday special is far, far worse. It's worse than almost every terrible film that you can think of. I'm trying to think of something to compare it to and I can't. It's that bad.
  20. JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    How about Manos, the Hands of Fate?
    Jayk Szarii likes this.
  21. janstett Force Ghost

star 3
    The Phantom Menace was a wasted opportunity. It can be saved with a few key alterations (see The Phantom Edit, for example).

The Holiday Special was just plain cancer to the bone.

For those who haven't seen it, I'll sum it up.

Chewie has a family including an annoying kid and grandpa.

The Star Wars universe contains Bea Arthur (Maude, Golden Girls) and Art Carney.

Luke has been playing with Leia's makeup kit.

So now, is the Holiday Special better than AOTC? ;)
    Last edited by janstett, Jun 8, 2013
  22. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    TPM was much better than the Holiday Special. End of story.

/thread
    Last edited by Jedi Gunny, Jun 8, 2013
  23. gezvader28 Force Ghost

star 4
    really ? I never heard that before . In the UK we had the Ewok movie in the cinema , which was bad enough . Actually I'm not sure which is worst , no , actually the Ewok movie is worse , it has no redeeming fetaures , the holiday special at least has that cartoon .
  24. Jarren_Lee-Saber Force Ghost

star 4
    Again, no! The closest film in Star Wars to the SWHS is ROTJ, and even that one is better by a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG shot!
  25. janstett Force Ghost

star 3
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth