Was the Phantom Menace neccessary

Discussion in 'The Phantom Menace' started by Grizham1, Jun 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
  2. ferelwookie Jedi Master

star 4
    I hate me!

(Lashes himself with large branch from weeping-willow tree.)

Paying my hard-earned $8.00 is not enough! I should personally write Lucas and thank him endlessly for all of the cliche's, flat dialouge, wooden acting, and cgi-overkill that he has luckily granted us with the PT! Thank you Oh Great One! There is no higher...sucka M.C. 'till ya call me sire!

(and on and on...)
  3. lordmack Jedi Knight

star 3
    A course it was neccessary, how could you say such a thing, it was meant to introduce the characters in the starwars series.
  4. Oakessteve Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Go-Mer-Tonic: How many times precisely have you been warned for making the 'ungrateful fans' comment? And how is disliking certain aspects of The Phantom Menace being ungrateful? Surely it's being realistic, being mature enough to criticise something that you have a great deal affection for? As most of you know already, I'm a big fan of Steven Spielberg, yet I dislike, and wish very strongly that Steven Spielberg had never directed 1941. Does that make me ungrateful? No, it doesn't, as I love almost all of his other films, and it's just one or two that I think are below par. This has been something I've always said right from the beginning when I first started posting on here, but I'll say it again anyway: Whether you like, love, hate, or dislike The Phantom Menace, it has nothing to do with intellect, gratituide, politics, or what psychological hang-ups you might have, but comes down very simply to taste. The sooner we can accept and understand this, possibly we might be able to have some interesting conversations, rather than this childish name calling, and pseudo intellectual analysis that we try to do on each other. That's my dream, anyhow.
  5. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    You assume way too much Oakessteve. I didn't say any of the things you inferred.

Not one.
  6. Oakessteve Manager Emeritus

star 6
    But you have done in the past. But if you're behaving now, that's splendid news for everybody.
  7. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I thought I was.

I let the reader decide if they fall into the category, I even try not to define the criteria.

Also, I never once implied that anyone has psychological hang-ups, merely personal hangups. You might call that sort of thing "personal taste". If there is something (like Jar-Jar stepping in poop) you don't like, and will not tolerate, then that is your personal hangup.

I am merely trying to differentiate the difference between something that is "wrong" across the board, and something that is "wrong" for the individual who has a problem with it.

I am certainly not trying to play pscychiatrist.
  8. hawk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The fact is Go-Mer, you post comments like "I dislike ungrateful, selfish fans" in threads where you have a disagreement to the initial post. You obviously have some reason for writing them and I don't think you would expect anyone to believe it was just a random thought you had. Those comments are precise and you ARE expecting those who disagree with you to take it personally. Then you have the ultimate escape. If the person takes offense, you claim the comment wasn't directed at them and, hence, they have just admitted they are selfish and ungrateful blah blah blah. Everyone recognises the tactic and it is pathetic and hateful.

Let me give you something to chew on. What if I visited a "Gay Rights" (before anyone assumes, I am a supporter of Gay rights myself) forum where people were discussing all sorts of issues. I pop up and say randomly, "I dislike people who want to live freaky lives full of disgusting acts". Just because I post that comment in that forum, they would assume the comment is directed at themselves because in THE PAST (like you have in the past) people have insulted them in this way. But I could play dumb and say, "the comment was meant for people who live lives through disgusting acts. If you put yourselves in that category, then it is your doing." Basically, I would be a COWARDLY, RUDE, AROGANT, BAITING BEEP. Something to chew on Go-Mer...
  9. DarthHomer Force Ghost

star 5
    But this isn't a Basher Rights forum, Hawk.

Oh, it is? And why wasn't I informed?! :p
  10. hawk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That link to those posters DarthHomer show Luke and Vader from TESB dueling on the ROTJ poster. It also shows a pic of the ROTJ Emperor on the TESB poster. I liked the original posters myself. :)
  11. DarthHomer Force Ghost

star 5
  12. YoungPadawanLearner Jedi Master

star 4
    DH, I believe Hawk is talking about the posters in the link in your sig.
  13. DarthHomer Force Ghost

star 5
    Oh, that was so the five posters would look consistent on my website. I wasn't making any statement about the special editions being better than the originals :)
  14. jaja7799 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think that perhaps there would be no need for TPM if they added say an extra 30 min to AOTC explaining some things, cuz everytime I watch TPM it makes me think what the heck was wrong with GL at the time. StarWars could be a lot better off without JarJar and hearing Jake yell "yippe", maybe not maybe starwars is better with TPM, who knows.
  15. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I do.

SW is better of having TPM than not.
  16. DrEvazan Jedi Youngling

star 4
    how so Go-Mer? it seems TPM has driven many people away from the saga. why is that a good thing?
  17. ferelwookie Jedi Master

star 4
    It's given a lot of older fans more time to focus on the real world. ;)
  18. DrEvazan Jedi Youngling

star 4
  19. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Star Wars doesn't need everyone to be fans. It can get by with those who are left over.
  20. DrEvazan Jedi Youngling

star 4
  21. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
  22. jaja7799 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Does it even matter if it is neccesasry or not? The movie was made so no matter how much one can cry about it(which I do) it can not make it dissappear, o well
  23. DarthVegas Jedi Master

star 4

In Conclusion:

The Phantom Menance, as poor of a script as it was, was neccessary for being the first in the series. There were no ties between TPM and AOTC besides recycled characters which is expected in a sequel. In SW type of sequels however, there's usually an abstract concept that's also pulled.

TPM sucked. In my opinion. You may love it and I envy you. I wish I could love it. But I'm not easily amused and I cannot appreciate a story with no dramatic elements, >good< humour or conflict of situation. I thought it was weak motion picture, Star Wars aside. It was a pathetic display of filmaking but a wonderful experiement in digital technology.

And even for a kid's film, it was a weak picture with no foundation. If you're going to make a kid's film then you should take a cue from Disney, as much as I hate that bastard mouse, there's a reason why their stories are so popular amongst kids and adults. They are tightly knit dramas and comedys that are perfected and researched, not a radically thrown together script that needs no approval except from a director who take a near 20 year hiatus.

If I wanted nothing but special effects, I'd play a video game or rent an Avid and make my own.

Sorry. Call me basher or whatever, but I envy the gushers. I wish I could see TPM and get the same feeling when I saw AOTC. But I don't. Because it is inadequate as a motion picture. Point blank.
  24. Grizham1 Jedi Knight

star 2
    The new header is nice, kind of like the dvd extras are nice for tpm, but the main feature is still the same old movie, oh well, I don't find the movie necessary, I think its a prequel to a prequel and that we've been cheated out of a movie.
  25. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Refusing the movie doesn't mean it wasn't offered to you. You cheat yourself out of a movie if you ask me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.