main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Was the Rebel Alliance really the bad guys?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by shoney, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Alliance weren't terrorists, but they were acting out against the government and those who still supported it. That's why that part of the OT story is based off of the American Revolution. Had the Empire succeeded in capturing the Alliance at Hoth, or destroying them at Endor, Palpatine could spin it as they were not just criminals, but terrorists then. The Death Star was necessary in that regard, in order to maintain control without the Senate.

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    We have had many people here calling the Alliance terrorists and as of jet I don't think we have seen them doing any act of terror in the movie, so what did they do that makes people call them that? And the Deathstar don't count since, as Iron_lord said, "it was self-defence - if they hadn't destroyed it - it would have destroyed the Rebel base"

TKT and Iron_lord like this.
  3. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Crikey we're going round in circles here. He did NOT assume power within the confines of the law! Proclaiming yourself EMPEROR in a DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC is against Republic law. If you went to the UK parliament or US congress and proclaimed yourself Emperor there that would against UK or US law respectively. Is this so hard to understand?! I give up arguing here. I have no desire to chase my own tail anymore.

TKT, Iron_lord and EternalHero like this.
  4. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    I definitely think that things could be said for the Third Reich, Stalinist Russia and Franco's Spain.

{Sarcasm}

What a stupid topic.

5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

Sorry for the delay.

T-R- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.