main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was the ROTJ duel necessary to bring balance to the force?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth-Sporonak, Jan 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Sporonak

Darth-Sporonak Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2004
    I'm a newbie so be gentle. However, Whether Luke was on the second death star redeeming Anakin or not, Lando and co still would have blown it up and Darth and Palpy would still be dead. Would their deaths alone not have restored freedom to the galaxy and brought balance to the force?

Any thoughts?

2. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    I think it's just all a matter of destiny. Vader couldnt escape his destiny to fulfill the prophesy and bring the force back into balance by killing the Emperor. It wasn't the rebels' destiny to bring this balance. I think one way or another fate would have ensured that it was Luke who turned Vader back to the light side and Vader who brought the force back into balance.

Edit: by the way, welcome! :)

3. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    "If the prophecy is true, Anakin is the only one who can bring balance to the force." -Mace

Or sumthin like that. I probably butchered it. Anyway, I thought Anakin was the one who needed to do it. Maybe if he hadnt done it himself, the evil Sith energy contained in Sidious wou.....

Naw. Screw that.

Good point! Dead Sith = Balance, right?
    So: Blow up Death Star, kill Sith, balance restored ....

Lando is the chosen one!!!!!
    :p

4. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I know that the EU has given Palpy the ability to control his fleets/troopers, improving overall effectiveness, so it is possible that when the duel occurred, he gave up on the battle to watch a fantastic sword fight.

I do agree with that general sentiment that Lando and Wedge could've brought the Force back into balance by vaping the Death Star.

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Anakin brought balance to the Force when he killed Palpatine.

6. AceVader

AceVader Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 8, 2003
    I'm still not convinced that "Balance to the force" means killing Palpy. I have heard a few other theories, and they seemed to make just as much sense, if not more. For those who believe dead palpy=balance to the force, please explain to me exactly how it brought balance to the force. (No, this is not sarcasm, I would really like to understand your views on this).

A.C.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Lucas has said that's how balance is brought back, so that's how it happens.

When Anakin killed Palpy, he destroyed evil's supremacy in the galaxy, allowing good to come back in. Evil could still crop up every now and then, but it would always be destroyed quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.