main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Was the "slave bomb" ever removed from Anakin's head?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by IG_2000, Jun 3, 2014.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    So, theoretically, if Watto got really drunk and still had the trigger, he could effectively try to hold Vader hostage?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    TPM novelization p192-193:

They went to Watto's shop first, where the Toydarian had completed the forms necessary to assure Anakin's freedom. The transmitter that bound Anakin to his life of slavery was deactivated permanently. It would be removed surgically at a later date. Watto was still grumbling about the unfairness of things as they left him and went back out into the street.

Darth Dominikkus and Dak Oolron like this.
  3. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008

Well, Watto's kind of a sneaky bastard, you never know what he could have pulled.

Dak Oolron and Iron_lord like this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If he wanted to get revenge, he would have pushed the button before they left town.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That would have been funny if Palpatine triggered it in ROTJ right before he got the shaft.

6. Thomas Solo

Thomas Solo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2012
    "The shaft." I see what you did there. :)

Dak Oolron likes this.
  7. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Well I ask YOU sir, how do you know it was located in Anakin's head?

8. chris skywalker

chris skywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2014
    its funny is an hilariously terrible way...hi im new here

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    To quote myself from the How Star Wars could have ended in 1 Minute thread:

"No! You can't have the boy Annie, he is my slave! I-ah can do whatever I want-ah!"
    *Watto uses detonator and across Mos Espa Annie's head explodes all over Jar-Jar Binks outfit*
    "How Wude!"

10. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

I'd imagine Qui-Gon would be able to sense if Watto was trying to pull anything. But I think he needn't have even worried--Watto was still operating under the assumption that if he welched on the bet in any way, Qui-Gon would get the Hutts involved.

Dak Oolron and GGrievous like this.
  11. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    It was deactivated, but was it ever removed? Seems like the only person(s) who would have known that Anakin even had such a chip in him was Qui-Gon (dead), Padme (not a Jedi) and Jar-Jar (Um...)

As far as the Jedi knew (from what we saw in the movie), Anakin was a random boy Qui-Gon had found. Nothing about him being a slave or anything. It's likely they never knew he had anything to be removed.

It's an interesting thing to think about. Even at a young age, Anakin had mechanical things attached to him. First a chip, then a whole arm, then a whole life-support suit.

Dak Oolron and Iron_lord like this.
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I figured Qui-Gon would have told Obi-Wan about it when they got on the ship ("Schedule the boy for the operation at some point after we get back to the Temple", or something along those lines.)

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It would be of Anakin's interest to get it removed at some point, so yes. As for the deactivation, it's not something that Qui-Gon or Anakin would let pass...

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Come to think of it, wouldn't the Naboo cruiser have some sort of med bay? Maybe they did a quick operation there while enroute to Coruscant?

Darth Dominikkus likes this.
  15. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    He could've pulled it (trigger) as soon as Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Anakin left on the ship.

16. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    Yeah, but what if Watto thought something like "Well, in the future, I could pull the trigger, have Anakin come running back to me when he's a grown up Jedi, and have him at my mercy to do me a favor for me to deactivate it"?

That all depends on how far the range on the bomb is. I mean, if it functioned the same as like a hologram technology that allows Obi Wan on Geonosis to contact Anakin on Tatooine... he would have contemplated doing it when Anakin visited him in Attack of the Clones, but at the time he couldn't bring himself to do it.

But sometime after ROTS, Watto has absolutely nothing, stumbles upon the trigger that was buried under a pile of junk in his shop, blames all of his current problems on Anakin who he realizes may or may not be dead because of the Jedi Purge, and clicks the trigger in drunk anger, only to have Darth Vader knocking on his door.

EDIT: This is pure speculation, but the reason I saw Darth Vader "knocking on his door" is because it would make no sense for a bomb in a slave's head to outright kill them instantly. The slave is obviously worth a lot alive, so theoretically, the bomb would have a 24 hour or so countdown with a maddening beeping inside the victim's head, driving them back to their slave owner to disarm it, or otherwise die.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  17. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Then Qui-Gon immediately comes back and sets the Hutts on Watto's butt.

(Obviously Qui-Gon couldn't really do this, but Watto doesn't know that.)

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. Argagax

Argagax Jedi Padawan

May 19, 2014
    Fun idea with drunk Watto and all that, but while I really think they would have it removed or permanently deactivated ASAP, I don't even know if it is possible to activate via a trigger whenever the slave owner chooses.

Because after Anakin left, Watto disabled Shmi's "bomb" because he was worried she might walk away in grief to blow herself up.
    Which means there's a certain range programmed into it, walk outside of that range, and the bomb goes off.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Cunning Sweater Set

Cunning Sweater Set Jedi Padawan

Jun 5, 2014
    Where did that happen, that Watto disabled Shmi's bomb?

20. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

The (now defunct) EU. I never really liked that part. It made Watto seem a bit too warm and fuzzy for my taste.

21. Cunning Sweater Set

Jun 5, 2014
    She seemed pretty happy to send him off to that prestigious boarding school to get himself some education. I can't see her walking away in grief.

22. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Great observation...and if I may add, he was also busy, around that time, of making a mechanical person of his own in C-3PO as well.

23. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    I kind of imagined Watto as hard but fair, but perhaps a bit corrupt.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    The "slave bomb" wasn't in Ani's head. It was injected into the arteries in his neck. They couldn't be removed, but the charge could be neutralized with X-rays once he got the President and the tape back to...

Okay, I'm lost, aren't I.

Thuro and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  25. Cunning Sweater Set

Jun 5, 2014
    I think he was begrudgingly fair, yeah.

Iron_lord and Thuro like this.