main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was there a Master Plan or events just fall together?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Do you think Obi-wan and Yoda had a master plan to train Luke as a Jedi and fight Vader/Emperor or did they kind of just blow off Luke and think the Jedi life was over. They watched him or that was just to make sure Vader didn't come for him.
    Did Luke's finding 3P0/R2 just working in to a master plan or did it just give Obi-wan an idea.
    Yoda didn't seem to want to train Luke in ESB, it was more of Obi-wan asking Yoda to do it.
    So was there a plan to use Luke in the fight for freedom or did Luke just happen to fall in front of Obi-wan and a great change happened to us him.

2. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    Do you think Obi-wan and Yoda had a master plan to train Luke as a Jedi and fight Vader/Emperor or did they kind of just blow off Luke and think the Jedi life was over.

They had always planned to use Luke to return Anakin to the Light side of the force.

[i]They watched him or that was just to make sure Vader didn't come for him. [/i]

As evidenced in the movies so far Tatooine is a pretty dangerous place. Obi-Wan was there to make sure no danger befell him. Remember Luke knows of Old-Ben, so I am pretty sure their paths have crossed before.

[hr]

[i]Did Luke's finding 3P0/R2 just working in to a master plan or did it just give Obi-wan an idea. [/i]

If you remember correctly, Leia was sent by her father, who is bigtime pro-Republic, to get General Kenobi. I am spoiler free, so take this only as my own personal theory, but I think we will see in rots, that Bail, Yoda and Obi-Wan have plan to hide the twins and the Jedi. That they will return to serve the Republic/Rebellion when things get their bleakest. The Senate being dissambled and the Death Star as very bleak. And thus the old General was called back into service. Obi-Wan knew he was going to take Luke w/ him.

[hr]

[i]Yoda didn't seem to want to train Luke in ESB, it was more of Obi-wan asking Yoda to do it. [/i]

It was a test by Yoda. Yoda wanted to see how much patience Luke had, b/c the last thing Yoda wanted was for Luke to turn out like his father. And they way Luke was quick to loose his temper would make him succeptable to the darkside.

[hr]

[i]So was there a plan to use Luke in the fight for freedom or did Luke just happen to fall in front of Obi-wan and a great change happened to us him. [/i]

I hope I convinced you it was all a plan

3. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    Hopefully, we'll find out in a few months. ;)

4. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    They planneds on Luke destroying the Sith order. However he outdid their expectations by turning the apprentice against the master.

Hand

5. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Do you think Obi-wan and Yoda had a master plan to train Luke as a Jedi and fight Vader/Emperor or did they kind of just blow off Luke and think the Jedi life was over.

They planned to train him so he could battle the Sith, but obviously, those hopes were tained with the knowledge that the Jedi Order was already more or less destroyed and that Luke was up against impossibly powerful forces. Though, I disagree with the above statement. The idea was never to have Luke try and redeem Anakin. Obi Wan and Yoda had obviously lost all hope in Vader as an individual. The plan was for Luke to take out the Sith for the sake of the galaxy.

They watched him or that was just to make sure Vader didn't come for him.

Likely both. They kept an eye out for Imperial connections, but normal development problems or life dangers would eventually become the focus of their concerns once the years passed by and Vader showed no interest or belief in the existence of a child.

Did Luke's finding 3P0/R2 just working in to a master plan or did it just give Obi-wan an idea.

If it was a Master Plan, it was more along the lines of fate than anything an individual came up with. Obi Wan is just as surprised to see Luke when they first in ANH as Luke is him.

Yoda didn't seem to want to train Luke in ESB, it was more of Obi-wan asking Yoda to do it.

Wouldn't you be? This is the son of the man who became the most efficient and deadly Jedi killing machine that ever existed. He has many of the same flaws that Yoda saw in Anakin, and he's much, much older than others who have been trained. Luke has as much ability to do evil as he does to do good. Additionally, so much damage had already been done that Yoda may have felt it was a useless effort...but, ultimately, he knew that, at least for the sake of duty, he had to train Luke for one last try against the Sith.

So was there a plan to use Luke in the fight for freedom or did Luke just happen to fall in front of Obi-wan and a great change happened to us him.

There was always a plan to eventually train Luke to fight against Vader. Many of the details regarding how it came to be weren't worked out until later, or, moreso, were simply out of Ben and Yoda's hands.

6. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    IF it was a Master Plan why not have Obi-wan keep Luke to train him from an early age.
    To me, I could be wrong, not looking at the prequel's take but to me it just seems that once Luke was pulled in to the "war" obi-wan knew that this was there last hope and used it as such.

7. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003
    IF it was a Master Plan why not have Obi-wan keep Luke to train him from an early age.

Part of the reason for Anakin's fall is that he knows he is the chosen one. He has lived under the pressure of being the Chosen One, and what that means to fulfill his destiny. He doesn't know how to be the Chosen One, and still be a good Jedi. But most of all it has given him an ego. During the course of events in Anakin, he says that he feels that he has already surpassed Obi-Wan, and this is b/c he is the chosen one. He feels that he can do things that other padawans, and Jedi cannot do. This ego has also been fed by Palpatine.

Now why would Obi-Wan train Luke, at an early age, and tell him that he will free the galaxy? That would only take Luke down the same path as his father.

Though, I disagree with the above statement. The idea was never to have Luke try and redeem Anakin. Obi Wan and Yoda had obviously lost all hope in Vader as an individual.

Listen to what both Obi-Wan and Yoda tell Luke: that he must confront his father, not attack him, not kill him, but rather confront him. The want Luke to be strong enough in his convictions to help sway AnaVader through love. Look at how much of Yoda's training does not involve the lightsaber, b/c that was not the key part of his training. Yoda stress endurance and resolve, not to quickly charging his lightsaber and getting into combat. The eagerness to use his lightsaber is why Luke failed in the cave.

8. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    They didn't tell Luke to kill vader cause a Jedi wouldn't head out to Kill someone. I would guess they all jedi hope they can change the person rither than kill them. Even the Emperor. It's like sending Police over to Kill someone with out them talking to them first or at least trying to talk to them.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They didn't plan to use Luke to redeem Vader- they were training Luke as a gun to aim at the Sith, end of story.

One of the stronger aspects of Luke's arc, IMO, is his defiance to them and pursuing redemption.

10. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I think Yoda and Obi-Wan planned to train Luke so that he could either destroy the Sith or make Anakin turn back. The latter was more of a hope than a plan, I would say.
    The important thing is that Luke decided for himself to turn his father back from the dark side. It was his own personal quest, yet it liberated the entire galaxy(indirectly).
    We'll probably get some more ideas from ROTS.

Star Wars is a saga
    Watch and believe

/LM

11. Darthdias

Darthdias Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    "I cannot kill my own father" - Luke
    "Then the Emperor has allready won. You were our last hope" - Obi-Wan

I agree with 2andQuest. At least Obi-Wan had clearly given up hope of Vader ever turning back. He wanted Luke to confront him, not redeem him. Yoda might have had a bit more hope, thou.

Luke was really the only one who kept persisting that there was still good in Vader. That leads me to a question: Luke would be able to kill Vader, as we se in RotJ, but did Obi-Wan and Yoda really expect him to kill the Emperor? Even Yoda seemingly failed to do that. What was their plan to handle the Emperor?

12. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003
    "I cannot kill my own father" - Luke
    "Then the Emperor has allready won. You were our last hope" - Obi-Wan

The reason Obi-Wan said this, is b/c Luke still thought the only end to the conflict was through killing Vader. Remember the Jedi use the force for defense, not aggression. To kill is a very aggressive act.

13. Jabba_Squiggle

Jabba_Squiggle Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2005
    Hopefully, we'll find out in a few months.

Good God, man, you're right!

Episode III is only like three months off!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.