main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was this ever seriously considered?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Oakessteve, Aug 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Spielberg said when he first saw THX 1138 he absolutely despised Lucas because Lucas was so much better than him as a director! He later met Lucas and realized that Lucas was actually a very unassuming, down to earth guy who just happened to be a brilliant artist. They've been friends ever since.

2. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I don't know if Spielberg despised Lucas. If we've seen the same interview, I think Spielberg was joking about hating him. :) But yes, Steve did think Lucas was the better director. How times change.

3. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I would want to see ANYBODY else take over directing. Lucas can direct car chases. THAT'S IT. He sucks at directing people. MH tried and tried everything he could think of to make GL happy, then realized that what GL wanted was for Luke to be a young version of GL. That's what Mark Hammil gave GL, and that made Lucas happy. But, MH had to figure it out on his own--Lucas couldn't tell him what he wanted.

4. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    I'm glad Lucas is directing the prequels. He does a great job of bringing subtlety to performances.

5. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    "I'm glad Lucas is directing the prequels. He does a great job of bringing subtlety to performances."

Amen.

Cometgreen

6. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Koohii: That´s the reason GL hires really good actors who can figure things out for themselves.

Spielberg did direct a Star Wars film - E.T!

7. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    The Fox Fanfare has become a part of Star Wars. I don't think it would be the same if we did nto get to see or hear the Fox Fanfare.

8. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    As above. You can't take away the Fox Fanfare from the beginning.

9. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Back to what Oakessteve said at the start of the thread, I believe that Spielberg said if he would direct for free so long as Dreamworks could distribute the films.

That's just what I heard in a mag. :)

10. Crow_T_Robot

Crow_T_Robot Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 2002
    Here's something from a star wars faq made around 1995:

Will 20th Century Fox distribute the new trilogy? Answer: Most likely. DreamWorks SKG is another possibility. In the March 27, 1995 issue of Time Magazine, it says : "DreamWorks has the opportunity to create a whole new distribution system that may be a vast improvement over the old one," says George Lucas, who might be persuaded to allow the new company to distribute his next 'Star Wars' adventure, due out in 1998. DreamWorks has said that they will be handling domestic distribution, and they are contracting MCA/Universal to control foreign distribution.

You can read the whole thing at http://www.afn.org/~afn37335/faq.htm

11. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Avid_Prequels_Fan Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2003
    I'm glad it wasn't seriously considered, I've been more than happy with the directing of the prequels. I do have some problems with the editing in AOTC but I still loved it. Although if someone else was to direct the prequels only Stephen Spielberg would have been my choice.

12. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Plus, the 20th Century Fox fanfare is such an integral part of the opening of a Star Wars film at this point that it would have been a bit of a loss to not have that attached to the PT films.

I mean, they even put the fanfare on the beginning of the Story Of Star Wars album I had when I was a kid... it already produced a Pavlovian response in me by the time Empire came out.

This happens to me even when I'm watching a non-SW movie that 20th Cent. Fox put out! I wait for the opening scroll and then remember I'm watching something else!

This is so true. I can remember many movies when I was a child that started withthe same thing and I would watch for at least one mor minute hoping it would be star wars. then I would just pop in my tape.

I also had the alblum to listion in the car. on long trips with my parents. because of that tape the actual sounds of star wars are burned into my brain. I really did have the movie memorized when I was a child. to a degree the meaning of the words were lost but the rythem of the sounds were like music I heard them so much.

this is a great thread because it remined me of all that just now.

wow

13. jangoclone1138

jangoclone1138 Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2003
    The one that Lucas wanted Speilberg to direct was return of the Jedi back in 1983. George never wanted anyone else to direct the prequels. Although I would have liked them to be done by Irvin Kirshner instead.

14. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    I always thought it would be cool if lucas did EPI and speilberg EP2 and either ron howard or francis ford coppala did 3. thay all have ties with lucas that run very deep.

coppala was originaly the preoducer of apacolypse now and lucas was going to direct it. but lucas disagreed with the way copola wanted it to go and also was geen lit for star wars so he backed out. harrison ford is one of the leftovers of lucas involvment. lucas produced TUCKER. Ron howard of course stared in american graffiti and lucas produced willow. etc..........

15. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    When you go to a Star Wars film and you are a true Star Wars geek, like me for example, one thing that gives you chills and has that great feeling is seeing the twentieth century fox logo and hearing that theme before Star Wars starts as Lucasfilm pops up its something that is a part of the SW beginning. I am not sure about the Speilburg thing but I think GL would have stayed at FOX regardless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.