main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

CT Was Vader/Anakin technically Emperor for the last couple minutes of his life?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Dominick1216, Dec 27, 2017.

1. darth-skycrawler

darth-skycrawler Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2001
    I imagine that Palpatine planned on making it so. The Sith are strange to me. They are so evil, so greedy that they consume themselves. Palpatine was determined to get an apprentice much stronger than himself, in either Luke or Anakin. Had Palpatine got his way, I don't see him lasting long with the handsome, popular and most importantly, more powerful Skywalker (Luke/Anakin) at his side. He would almost certainly have been killed a couple of years after turning them with a new Skywalker as emperor.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  2. Starwarsguy777

Starwarsguy777 Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2016
    Anikan killed the Emperor. He turned good. It's not like the the rule of 2 when the master is killed by the apprentice, he was not Emperor. He was reformed. Also, he would have to be declared Emperor. So no, he was not. Finally, like the second post, the Empire was no more.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  3. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    De jure, Darth Vader held the title "Supreme Commander of the Imperial Forces" and therefore I assume he was "only" the boss of the Imperial Fleet and Army, but not a political leader. That was Grand Vizier Sate Pestage, who functioned as Palpatine's political second-in-command during his reign. He officially became the new Galactic Emperor after Palpatine's death.

4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd The Man / Also Known as Bazinga'd star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    What is the source of that? I dont remember ever reading that anywhere

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Force Ghost star 8

Sep 2, 2012
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sate_Pestage/Legends

Character origins

The character of Sate Pestage, originally called Sate Molock, was meant to appear in the film The Empire Strikes Back. Molock first appeared in the second draft of the screenplay, where he warns Darth Vader that the Emperor is in a bad mood before Vader reports the victory at Hoth. In the revised second draft, Molock was renamed Sate Pestage.[48]

In the fourth draft, Pestage was to be in scene 286 as a "shimmering holographic image." When Darth Vader attempts to contact the Emperor, he reaches Pestage, who (as before) warns Vader of the Emperor's foul mood and bids him to wait.[48] According to Pablo Hidalgo, Pestage had been cut by the fifth draft of the script.[49] However, the film's shooting schedule says that the Pestage scene was shot on June 18, 1979, though it never made it into the movie's final cut. As the scene was filmed, an actor was evidently cast for Pestage, but it is not known who this was. Kenner's Darth Vader's Star Destroyer Action Playset features a toy hologram apparently intended to be Sate Pestage. An enclosed instruction sheet reads, "Lower the hologram and have Darth(TM) communicate with the Grand Vizier(TM)."[50]

While the scene was ultimately cut from the film, it appears in Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back: Official Collectors Edition and is mentioned in the Dark Empire Sourcebook, establishing it as part of Star Wars Legends.

6. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Well he appears in some Expanded Universe works, like the X-Wing series. :)

Also, I just read on Wookiepedia that he, as Grand Vizier, functioned as the Galactic Empire's official chief of government, which means that de jure, Palpatine wasn't even the absolute ruler (well, what's the case de facto was another matter ;) ), but only head of government.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Force Ghost star 8

Sep 2, 2012
    He's in Newcanon as well- but as a less important official -Mas Amedda fills the Grand Vizier role.