Saga Was Vader in constant pain in the suit?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by theman54, Sep 29, 2011.

Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. JoeyArnold Jedi Knight

star 3
    I watched Kenobi fight Vader in the Revenge of the Sith this week and then I watched them fight again in the next film, I kind of got the impression that Vader was either still old and injured or conflicted or something because he is almost like fighting with a limp in A New Hope.
    Last edited by JoeyArnold, Nov 22, 2012
  2. Darth_Kiryan Force Ghost

star 4
    well, he is in a robotic life-preserving suit.
  3. JoeyArnold Jedi Knight

star 3
    Did Mace Windu permanently damage Sidious in the Revenge of the Sith?
  4. darthbarracuda Jedi Master

star 2
    Well, remember in ROTS...Palps didn't hook up Anakin to any pain killer or put him to sleep. He made him go through the entire transformation process while conscience. He wanted the pain to further anger Anakin and help solidify his turn to the dark side.
  5. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Seemed pretty agile when fighting Luke in ESB & ROTJ. Or haven't you gotten around to seeing them yet?
  6. darthbarracuda Jedi Master

star 2
    When they made ANH they didn't have a great choreographer person to make up a fight scene like the one in TPM. So they have that baseball-bat swing. They learned to do better duels in the ESB and ROTJ. And in ESB, Vader was just playing with Luke...he could've totally wiped him out in seconds if he wanted to but his mission was to bring Luke to the dark side.
    In ROTJ, Luke's got his game face on a little more and Vader is stuck with a slightly angry Jedi
  7. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    The style of the ANH duel is intentionally quite different; it's derived from Kurosawa.
  8. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Plus they have a klutz bodybuilder in the suit, as opposed to Master Assassin Bob Anderson :p
  9. Darth_Kiryan Force Ghost

star 4
    I am curious, but had Guiness ever used a 'sword' before in a previous movie? I know christopher Lee is pretty knowledgable with a sword, and he does say on the commentary that he actually can't move as fast as he once could because of his age, would the same have been similar with regards to Guiness?
    Last edited by Darth_Kiryan, Nov 25, 2012
  10. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Well, just offhand-Guinness wasn't near as old as Lee for their respective films-Guinness was 57 or so iirc, and Lee was 78, approximately. And it's not Guinness that looks clutzy; it's Prowse.
  11. Darth_Kiryan Force Ghost

star 4
    true. Guinness still looks noble and all that in his stance, and they are playing towards a japanese-style duel.
  12. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yep. Guinness' movements are still pretty crisp.

Plus Lee said it was specifically his knees that gave him an issue with the duel, and there's plenty of full-body footage in ANH.

Edit: Do like how they accounted for his slight limp in ANH by having Dooku stab him in the upper thigh in AOTC.
    Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  13. DarthButt Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Yes. I recently watched the saga all the way through one day, and I focused more on Obi-Wan durring the duel. Guiness did quite well, even though the entire coreography was kinda lame to begin with. Focusing on him made the duel a bit more bearable after just getting done with the PT.
    This, but I feel Vader was also conflicted during the ROTJ duel. Over his son, of course, but I think he was just getting tired of the dark side, and seeing how it really is just a path to a lifetime of pain and destruction. Even though he was playing the part with his dialogue, I think Luke got to him in that conversation on Endor.
    Last edited by DarthButt, Nov 29, 2012
    Yunners and DarthBoba like this.
  14. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    The physical pain went away eventually .
  15. Darth_Kiryan Force Ghost

star 4
    except for, you know, the breathing problem.
  16. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    It a shame he didn't have the sense to clone some new lungs or sign up for organ donation.
  17. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 6
    In one of the novels, a character thinks about the rare people whose bodies reject even their own cloned organs- and speculates that Vader's one of these since "no-one would walk around like that if they had the choice".
  18. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    I remember that. I doubt that is the case with Vader. I think Palpatine wanted him to stay stuck in the suit.
  19. Yunners Force Ghost

star 2
    Wasn't there a paragraph or two in Shadows Of The Empire about Vader beginning to heal himself with the force?
  20. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Several pages, actually.
  21. Yunners Force Ghost

star 2
    I must admit it's been quite a while since I read it. What year did it come out?
  22. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    1995-ish, iirc.

Yes, this makes me feel old also. :p
  23. Yunners Force Ghost

star 2
    Good gravy, was it that long ago? That makes two of us.
  24. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yeah. As I recall it was pretty much testing the waters for the SEs-the idea was to do a media event with a novel/soundtrack/video game/toys...everything but the film, basically.

Which is sort of a shame. There's some actors around nowadays that could bring just how much of a sociopathic creeper Xizor was. You felt good when Vader turned him into space dust. :p
  25. Yunners Force Ghost

star 2
    Michael Fassbender, for one.

Are you listening, Disney?
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn