main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Washington Navy Yard shooting

Discussion in 'Community' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 16, 2013.

1. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    I can't say I'm really surprised; after two shooting incidents and some mental instability the shooter from yesterday purchased his gun legally (with background checks) from a Virginia dealer. Because why should he not have a gun?

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I love being snarky as much as the next guy, but let's wait a week before the puns.

3. shinjo_jedi

May 21, 2002
    I'd prefer to talk about the insanity of the law that allowed this mentally unstable man that had a record of gun violence to legally purchase a gun so he can slaughter 12 people now - not next week.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    B..bu...bu...but the Second Amendment applies to the mentally deranged as much as it does the mentally stable! Because 'Murica! [face_flag]

krtmd likes this.
  5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  6. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Also, he armed himself with the weapons of those he shot - like the security guard he shot when he entered the building. More guns ain't the answer.

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  8. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, apparently Elisabeth Hasselbeck laid all the blame on video games this morning on her first day of FOX and Friends, calling for Video game registration rather than gun registration. WTF?! What proof do we even have yet that he ever touched a video game?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Interesting. Eric Bolling, generally crazy, slammed the sentiment of blaming video games today on FOX, he did after Sandy Hook too.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    .... Oh geez it seems I've been to the very shooting range that this guy got his weapon from. Thats something I'd have been better off not knowing.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

11. shinjo_jedi

May 21, 2002
    This. I don't know all of the details yet, but it does seem that there was one - if not more - "good guys with guns" there and that didn't stop him from killing a dozen people.

12. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005

actually i did some research on that and i found out that legitament gun shops do backround checks wile other ones simply dont

i said before i have no desire to own a gun for my own reasoning but if anything needs to be removed its these gun stores who dont follow the law by taking the time and do the backround checks.

now a days its really about money since buinesses are suffering and sadly more and mor eunstable people will get ahold of them

13. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Citizens with guns equals massacres. Military personnel with guns equals massacres. At this point the discussion should not be about banning guns from civilians but disarming EVERY American. As a people we cannot be trusted with firearms, police and military included. We would be a lot better off if all of America was made gun free zone. Guns are weapons of war, we should only have them overseas where we are fighting wars.

Katana_Geldar likes this.
  14. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    This was a military base, so, to paraphrase Mr LaPierre, there were plenty of "good men" with guns around. How could it then have been possible for 12 victims to have been shot? :confused:

15. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Wasn't it reported the base was a gun free zone though? No one was allowed to have guns. Also aren't all military bases in America gun free zones now? I know a few guys in the military and they tell me on base you can't carry a weapon, the only people allowed to carry firearms are the MPs. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Still we'd be better off not having guns period.

16. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004

Actually, I recall several interviews with base personnel who said it was possible to carry guns onto the base and very easy to do so.

17. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Fair enough. Goes to show that when military personnel don't know what to do when armed and faced with a shooter civilians most certainly won't.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Gunman tried to buy assault rifle along with shotgun, was denied- CBS

I won't pretend to know enough about what constitutes eligibility to hold security clearances, but I do hope this leads to some changes in communication between the military, its contractors, and law enforcement- as recently as six weeks ago, this fellow was calling the cops complaining of hearing voices that were using a microwave to send pulses into his body. Privacy is a obviously a huge sticking point with mental health, so I don't know how the changes will be made, but I do hope something productive comes from this.

19. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Why not ask the real question of why was he not in jail were he belonged and when was a back around check not done when he was going on a Navy base. Zing.

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why would a person who has committed no crimes be in jail?

Also, "back around."

Lord Vivec likes this.
  21. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005

hey i can argue and say the same for zimmerman. im not saying a 2nd degree murder charge is what it is but a wrongful death shouldve been the charge.

only reason why zimmerman got off was because his dad is a former judge and im sorry retired or not hes still going to have some pull. he just recently got the cops called on him by his soon to be ex wife for punching her dad and i guess threatened her with a gun.. sad thing is he wasnt arrested and again sorry but someone like that is a legit danger to society and in my eyes should lose his right to have a fire arm.

22. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    [face_flag]

God Bless Amerishoots

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  24. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, if we can't get better gun control out of these incidents, at least we have fear and paranoia.