main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Wasn't Darth Maul shown to be cut in half...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Sith Saber, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Ressurecting Maul was STOOPID.

But... the fact is that despite that, many people, myself included, have really enjoyed the character once we got over the idiotic idea of bringing him back. He really is an intersting, complex character.

2. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    Which is more than one could say about his incarnation in TPM, to be fair. Film Maul is hired muscle, basically a glorified thug.

Strongbow likes this.
  3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    He was created to be specifically as dynamic, compelling & memorable as Vader and that was also the same reason why Lucas "killed him off", so not to intrude on the main narrative of Anakin. So the main reason he was not in the other films was because at the time thats not the story he wanted to tell in just the three movies in a 6 movie format all about Anakin Skywalker - and a secondary reason was to showcase that Sidious was in trouble with the continuing search for an apprentice of the caliber of Darth Maul(which he never really found again). Lucas would come to accept it was a mistake exiting Maul from the saga so he brought him back and they added an whole subplot. Him coming back isnt at all hard accept since one he's a Darth and two, the opening was left readily available for interpretation that he could have been alive(as many suspected or speculated) since at least ROTS. "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities 'some' consider to be unnatural" .

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/1999/02/star-wars

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/star-wars-archive-george-lucas-1999-interview/

http://billmoyers.com/content/mythology-of-star-wars-george-lucas/

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/comics/story/2011-10-11/darth-maul-returns/50736578/1

http://ew.com/article/2011/10/12/star-wars-clone-wars-darth-maul/

Erkan12 and Darkslayer like this.
  4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Just because it's a cartoon (which it's not, it's an animated series) doesn't make it any less legitimate than the films.

darkspine10 and Erkan12 like this.
  5. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I think it has more to do with his popularity than George feeling regret about not utilizing him enough. He rarely has regret over a story he's made. I still believe it was an excellent choice to bring back Maul. We've got fantastic stories and great character development out of it.

Zejo the Jedi, Darkslayer and Erkan12 like this.
  6. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013

This isn't politics. This is not about democracy where people should say their own opinion freely, of course you can say your opinion about Lucas' work and you don't have to like it or even you can hate it if you want, but this is someone else's own personal work, his own personal art, this is like telling a painter how to draw or telling someone to how make his own story. If you interrupt a painter or a writer, then that wouldn't be the art, that would be a dictating what it should be or not, which is something that you're against by calling it ''sheeple'' ...

The thing is, no one should interfere with a writer's own work, if not, that wouldn't be an art, I've the right not follow and ignore it if I choose to, but I can't interrupt and tell him how to do his own art, his own work.

Which is why no one can deny Maul's return in the Clone Wars, that's actually happened according to the original writer of Star Wars; George Lucas.

7. Bordell Eli

Bordell Eli Jedi Knight

Jan 28, 2017
    I mean it would've been cool if George just would've left Maul alone and not killed him until episode 3 or later. It's crazy how they keep on refashioning these stories.

8. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Well last time I checked GL is not well known to do thing chronologically. Even outside of SW.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Nothing like calling something 'stupid' and 'idiotic' to strengthen your argument (or in this case, lack thereof).

That's his role in the movie (which is what was needed). His character is more than his actions, like everyone else. Even going by the movie alone, the mere fact that he's a Sith Lord and was picked by Sidious to be his Sith apprentice goes against the idea of him being a mere "glorified thug". The movie simply wasn't about him and therefore his character wasn't explored. That's why Lucas chose to bring him back in TCW. Because it allowed that.

Erkan12 likes this.
  10. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

Ah c'mon man... we saw him CUT IN HALF. It was dumb. It was. Next we'll learn that Palpatine survived the destruction of the Second Death Star.

But I'm also kinda glad they did it. I really like where they went with the character.

ZodaEX likes this.
  11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, we did. And now he survived, you know, like Vader.

No, that's still not an argument.

Not by Lucas, since he declared the prophecy fulfilled.

Unfortunately we never saw it.

12. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

You really think there needs to be an argument that someone cut in half and fell down a huge shaft should be dead? Do you know what would happen to his internal organ when he hit the bottom?

And forgive me, but aside from Lucas being out of it now, I have no faith that he wouldn't change his mind the instant he thought it beneficial.

And lastly, what do you mean? We have seen a LOT of what Maul became after his return. Not all of it, to be sure, but a lot.

ZodaEX likes this.
  13. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Guys, please keep the debate civil please.

ATMachine likes this.
  14. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    A man having 3 limbs cut off, and burned by lava should also have died. But Anakin survived through his hatred, just as Maul did.

Darkslayer likes this.
  15. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013

You know this is a science-fiction / fantasy movie right ? The people are choking each other from different planets, shooting lightning bolts from their fingertips, there are zombies, ghosts, cyborgs, aliens running around and yet you're asking how did Maul survive ?

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What internal organs? What bottom? You saw none of that. Besides, aren't you forgetting that this is Star Wars, where "the dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some considered to be unnatural"?

Or not.

We never saw what was meant to happen. Only what's currently being done.

Erkan12 likes this.
  17. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

I was an EMT in my youth. There is HUGE difference between losing limbs and having your thorax bisected.

And that's of course how we get by this. We squint and wave our hands. Not the end of the world, but there ya go. Now, unless his physiology is very different from human physiology, his thorax was bisected. He's gonna have internal organs there.

Or not.

We never saw what was meant to happen. Only what's currently being done.[/quote]

Sorry, I don;t get what you mean. Not being snarky. Can you be more explicit? What do you think was "meant" to happen? By whom?

Ithorians likes this.
  18. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Exactly. Because that's exactly what he did:
    [​IMG]

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, he didn't.

EU ≠ GL

20. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    GL was LFL. LFL signed off on every bit of EU that got published. They even had a official, and very detailed bible for authors to consult.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    But he never considered it to be part of his story. None of the EU was part of his story. As far as he was concerned, Luke never got married and Palpatine never came back from the dead.

22. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    Well, he considered it enough to allow it to be published.

Look, my point here is that regardless of Lucas's own headcanon, they were part of the official Star Wars canon up until Disney's reorganization. Whether or not Lucas considered them canon is irrelevant. Those stories happened. Lucas allowed them to happen, and I wouldn't put it past Lucas to allow them to happen again.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, he wasn't. The works that came from Licensing didn't come from him and were never relevant to his story.

Yes, Licensing. It doesn't mean they came from Lucas or counted for his story.

Even if true, so what? Lucas had nothing to do with them.

That's not consideration. It's licensing.

Wrong. There's no Lucas headcanon. That's an oxymoron, he's the author. He's the one who dictates what's canon. Something being published doesn't make it canon. It's licensing. Nothing more. Those stories exist, but never happened and were never relevant in his storytelling. That was always made explicit.

Darkslayer likes this.
  24. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    So wait, you're to tell me, that Lucas had no idea what the hell LFL was up to between 1983 and 1995 when he started working on the SE and the PT? It's his company, he knew very well what was being published and what was being approved. If he didn't want anything but his story being told, he wouldn't have allowed it. It's not like he walked into a comic book store one day and saw Dark Empire on the shelf. He knew it happened, and he allowed it. Again, whether or not he considered it canon is irrelevant. The people in charge at Lucasfilm (that includes Lucas) considered the EU as part of continuity up until 2012. If Lucas didn't want them to be part of the continuity, he never should have allowed them to be published.

25. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Like I said, it depends on whether LFL canon or Lucas canon counts to you. Those of us who counted the EU would consider Palpatine resurrected and those who didn't care would not. It's the same deal with the Clone Wars and Darth Maul. It's all about a certain point of view.