Wasted DVD Sets

Discussion in 'Cleveland, OH' started by southbeach, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southbeach Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I went to pick up my copy of Matrix Reloaded and found out first hand that they ran out of the extra DVD that came with it (at Best Buy). So I started walking down the DVD section to pick up another DVD and started noticing DVD sets of The Man Show (which sucks now after Adam and Jim left), Survivor, and a bunch of other crap shows. What about Space: Above and Beyond (One of best damn sci fi flicks on TV), Battle of the Planets (not the new crappy version), etc etc..... Sorry just venting off steam...
  2. Krash RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I know what you mean, there seems to be rush to get every single TV series ever made released on DVD.

I've been collecting the "Farscape" series DVD (at least when BMack doesn't have all of season 2) And I'm looking forward to the complete Battlestar Galactica set. Alias may be a good pickup...but for something like $60..yikes, I'll get my Jennifer Garner fix watching Daredevil ;)

I can understand when a classic series like M*A*S*H comes on DVD, but it seems like every show out there now is released on DVD.
  3. GrnJalera Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Yeah, but some of the really cool cartoons you can't get (yet). Gargoyles comes out next year. I'd love to get a Thundercats set. And I wish more studios would do the "Season" versus the "2-3 Episodes" at at time version.

Battle of the Planets is out there. We have volume 1 but didn't get any others since the audio is really bad and the picture ain't that great either.

As for $60 price tag, that's a small price to pay for all that Buffy goodness in one package. :D
  4. JarJarJedi Jedi Master

star 6
    Gargoyles comes out next year.

*dances* I know what I'm getting!! :D :D

I saw Alias for $50. (At least at K-Mart I did, and I'm pretty sure it was around that price at Best Buy too.) That's not bad, compared to CSI:'s $75. [face_plain] That just bites. (Hey, but who knows, after sales tax up there Alias probably is $60. :p)

They don't have Charmed on DVD! :_|

I was looking to see if they had Survivor, but I didn't find it. Now I know that they have it. :) (But I never said that I was going to get it. ;))

As for any that I can't believe that they put out, I can't think of any names right now, but I know there are some that I saw that I couldn't believe that they made.
  5. starwarschick14 Jedi Master

star 4
    I've been collecting all the Star Trek DVD sets (TNG and DS9), as well as the Simpsons, King of the Hill, and Family Guy. There are lots of old shows that I miss that I wouldn't mind owning, but half of what's out there right now isn't worth the money.
  6. TheRandomMenace Jedi Master

star 4
    I think I may want to get the entire Charlie's Angels series when I get a job in a few years and can afford to get all of them.

*drools over Farrah and Jaclyn*
  7. JediCandii Jedi Padawan

star 4
    There's a place at Midtown Plaza in Parma that sells used DVDs, movies, and music for cheap. THey mostly have movies, but I do remember seeing Alias and CSI there. From what I remember, CSI was $40. I don't remember the name of the store, but I think that it's CD/Record Exchange.
  8. Douz Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Ive been picking up the MASH seasons as they have been coming out. Star Blazers and Robotech as well (although Ive fallen behind on the Robotechs). Id love to get 24 on DVD (will have to put that on my Xmas list).

But the ones that we really dont mind paying for are Sopranos (missing season 2 still) and Sex and the City (hey...dont laugh..its a good show).
  9. Malo-ha Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Its money, plain and simple. The studios have discovered a new source of income and as long as they think someone will buy it they'll produce it. I wonder how the royalty agreements with actors are covered on DVDs. Is it the same as VHS? Or do they need a new contract? I certainly hope they are getting something. I'm waiting for someone to try and sell some soap operas. Do you think there is someone willing to pay for a year of The Young and the Restless?

One of things that makes a series DVD appeal to me (besides the pause button ;)) is extras. They can have missing scenes or the Farscape DVDs have some commentaries by the actors and directors which are great.
  10. skyedancer Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Thanks to several people for mentioning their interest in MASH. That's probably my most favorite TV series ever and I had a big argument with my niece this summer who claims it is the lamest show ever! :mad:
  11. Krash RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I wonder how the royalty agreements with actors are covered on DVDs
    I'm sure many of more recent shows have something in their actor's contracts that address royalty agreements (concerning the sale of video and DVD)...but I wonder what happens to older show's.

the Farscape DVDs have some commentaries by the actors and directors
    The best is Ben Browder (John Crichton) commentary on "Green Eyed Monster"...his first time as a writer, along with being part of the cast.

DOUZ! Good to see you...yeah Robotech is a classic! I only collected the 1st series (Lisa Hayes could constitute as my 1st crush [face_love] )
  12. Krash RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Add another TV series that's coming to DVD...The West Wing is scheduled to hit stores this Tuesday. Do you think this is the newtoworks way of getting around losing viewers to re-runs? If someone (possibly new to the show) wants to learn about the backstory...all they have to do is drop $50-$60 for the entire season.
  13. JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan

star 4
    What about "ALF"? I WANT A COLLECTION OF ALF!
  14. TheRandomMenace Jedi Master

star 4
    Me too. With the season that had "To be continued..." on the season finale, which also turned out to be the series finale... so ALF never got finished!
  15. Krash RSA Emeritus

star 5
    With the season that had "To be continued..." on the season finale, which also turned out to be the series finale

[image=http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dani.fernandez-moure/10422/10422-246.jpg]

Try the series finale(?) of Farscape...that one tore my Frelling heart out.
  16. GrnJalera Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Farscape isn't over just yet. They are either doing 4 or 6 more episodes to tie everything up.

From AICN:

According to a Wednesday Dark Horizons report, an ?insider? indicates ?Farscape? is ?back in production? and will be back with ?4-6 new episodes.?

According to a WednesdayTV Guide Online report, Rockne S. O'Bannon and Brian Henson were supposed to have participated in a Thursday press conference to "announce an exciting new development in the campaign to continue Farscape," but that press conference apparently did not transpire.

Much of the show?s cast and crew are expected to attend a big ?Farscape? convention here in Los Angeles this weekend, so we?ll likely be hearing something soon.

UPDATE! And here it is. We can't reveal the source, but it's someone who'd know and someone who's never steered us wrong:

Hey Herc...

It's actually a 4-hour mini-series wrap-up for the series that Brian Henson is directing. Pre-production has already started in Sydney.

Meanwhile, at the convention, O'Bannon didn't announce anything specifically, but said something about how he should be home, "writing hour three."

17. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'd love to get a Thundercats set.

Thundercats would be very cool! So would some of the other old-school cartoons like the original GI Joe and He-Man. Voltron would be sweet on a DVD set!
  18. Krash RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Thanks GrnJalera...I've gotten some PMs from other fans about this, plus it's all the talk on many Farscape websites I check out. Perhaps Sci-Fi channel realized what a Frell-ing mistake they made!

Thundercats...would be cool
    G.I. Joe...after they finish the Transformers DVDs, it's only a matter of time.

Voltron...If they do, do they include the 2nd version of Voltron? I remember getting the complete set (land/sea/air vehicles) that formed the second Voltron. Didn't they team up the 2 giant robots for a couple episodes???
  19. JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Techniqually, ALF's T.B.C. was continued in the TV Movie.
  20. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I hardly remember the 2nd version. All that I remember about it (and I'm not even sure if this is accurate) that as opposed to the 5 lion robots of the 1st version, there were dozens of smaller robots that formed into Voltron. Whatever the case, I wish that I still had my Voltron, it was the coolest toy, back then anyway.

I just saw somewhere that GI Joe-Season 1-Part 1 is coming out on DVD in a few weeks!
  21. Krash RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Best television series on DVD...The West Wing!!!

I can't get enough of it! Between back-to-back reruns on Bravo (are all the good shows on Bravo now?) and season 1 on DVD. Great actors, good writing nd character development, and here's what the real politicians have said to the cast and crew:

Democrates: "Love the politics...love the show"
    Republicans: "Hate the politics...love the show"

I know who I'm voting for in this year's election:
    Bartlet for America!!!
  22. TheRandomMenace Jedi Master

star 4
    I really wanna pick up the first season of Chappelle's Show... the funniest show on TV.

Other shows I wanna see on DVD: MacGuyver (yes, this show was the shiznit) and Knight Rider (also a totally bad@$$ show).
  23. Beltayn Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I'm going to pick up "Firefly". I never had a chance to watch them on tv, but my buddy bought the DVD set- the first few episodes were pretty good!

I'm a Space: Above and Beyond fan. I remember getting those taped shows in the mail from my mom while I was stationed in Germany. It really sucked when they cancelled the show.

I'm also a fan of Stargate: SG-1.. same dude has several boxed sets of the first few season. Excellent show!

Does anyone out there remember a short-lived show called "Kindred: The Embraced"?

24. Krash RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I wanna see on DVD: MacGuyver
    It's no surprise that (as a hockey fan) I grew up loving the show "MacGyver" And possibly why I like Richard Dean Anderson (aside from dating Katerina Witt...what is it with hockey players dating figure skaters?) as Col. Jack O'Neil on Stargate SG1!

I liked "Space: Above and Beyond" ...they were basically the kinda squadron Rogue Squadron books are based on.
  25. Idiots Array Jedi Knight

star 5
    I was a big "Space: Above and Beyond" fan, so I'm looking forward to that. And I'll put in my vote for "Gargoyles". If you haven't seen "Firefly" yet, I would definitely recommend it.

Does anyone know when and if "Exosquad" is coming do DVD? That was another great show.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.