main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Wasted Potential

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Chewbacca89, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Committing crimes, yes- but not really "part of the underworld" the way he was after he left.

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Lorian Nod is almost as good a name as Freedon Nadd. Almost.

3. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Thats true...he digressed greatly.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Does raise questions as to how good the Jedi are at raising kids- or if some children are just problematic from infancy.

5. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Personally, I think it's impossible to ever know. Goes back to nurture versus nature...

6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Ok, really late reply, sorry about that. I was busy for a while, then I forgot.

But I would like to point out that monks don't always live in isolation, doing nothing but meditation. In particular, the Jedi have more than a few similarities with the Shaolin temple - whose monks did indeed go out and fight what they saw as wrong and even got involved in politics. Even Order 66 was, if I remember correctly, based on the various sackings of the temple in both history and folklore.

Similarly, the Sohei warrior monks of Japan were a very active political and military force, at least during the Sengoku Period.

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    You should.

Hey, everyone! Trip's theory *was* elegant, and also cool. Can confirm.

8. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I wanna see the theory please!

9. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Okay, first, the 'religious' aspect of the Sohei is often wildly overblown. Most 'Warrior Monks' were monks in name only and were in fact former Samurai or Ashigaru fighters who joined holy orders as adults and took up arms for the various politicized factions of Buddhism in Sengoku Japan. And those fights were at best marginally about religious doctrine and mostly about raw political power (and land, war in Japan was always about land) with the sects as one more militant faction among many.

The comparison with the Shaolin is more apt, but hardly makes the Jedi look better. While Shaolin history is melded with myth and therefore rather nebulous in fact, the temple was sacked at several times. This is hardly a comparison that makes the Jedi look good or less isolated. If ordinary monks who both did not, kung Fu legends aside, possess superhuman powers, and lived within a cultural context appropriate to their beliefs (which the Jedi, living in a Westernized culture do not) couldn't keep the people from pillaging them when things went bad, how can we expect it of the Jedi? Imagine Shaolin monks wandering the countryside of 19th century America, righting wrongs as they saw fit. How well would that go over?

10. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    It was done (starring David Carradine, IIRC)!

11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Ok then. I concede the point.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Sorry about the late reply but can you be a bit more specific? Thanks