main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Watch out for Wedge

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by jada_marnew, Dec 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    "The Wedge"

A season to give, but not to everyone.

Authorities offer tips to shoppers. For one, watch for pickpockets.

By Jacqueline Soteropoulos
    Inquirer Staff Writer

As the region's legions of holiday shoppers hit the stores yesterday, District Attorney Lynne M. Abraham issued a caution to consumers: "This is the season to be jolly, and also the season to be wary."

The city's top prosecutor teamed up with Police Commissioner Sylvester M. Johnson to ask citizens to be on the lookout for pickpockets, flimflam artists and identity thieves.

"This time of the year, we're concerned about what we think will be a rash of crimes associated with the Christmas holiday season," Abraham said. "While some of us have a Christmas and holiday spirit, there are many [others] who are looking at the rest of us as crimes of opportunity.

"We don't want you to become a victim," she said.

Johnson added: "During this time of year, people are more vulnerable, in my opinion."

Abraham and Johnson suggest that shoppers always keep an eye on their credit cards when handing them to shop clerks or restaurant workers.

Criminals have developed a device called a "wedge" - a slender box that fits in a pocket. Out of the customer's sight, a dishonest worker can ring up the legitimate sale or tab, but also swipe a credit card in the "wedge," download the information from the card and sell the data.

The best situation, Abraham said, is when shoppers can swipe the credit cards themselves.

Abraham and Johnson offered the following additional tips to help consumers avoid becoming crime victims this shopping season:

Abraham suggested women shoppers leave their purses at home and instead wear a waist pouch in front - not in back. She also recommended that all consumers carry as little as possible - don't walk around with all your credit cards, a wad of cash, your checkbook, and all your identification information.

In stores, on sidewalks and on public transportation, watch out for people who may try to bump into you and pick your pocket.

Use a steering-wheel lock or other antitheft device on your car, and do not leave packages visible inside. Park in well-lit areas.

Watch out for "flimflam" artists who promise a windfall of cash but require "good-faith" money or bank-account numbers first. "Nobody gives you nothing for nothing," Johnson warned.

Watch out for Internet solicitations or phony e-mail bills that request the consumer log onto a Web site and provide credit-card numbers, Social Security numbers, or bank-account information. If you get a phony bill, deal directly with your credit-card company, Abraham said.

Purchase a cross-cutting shredder to turn old bills, receipts, credit-card and bank statements, and credit-card solicitations into confetti.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Contact staff writer Jacqueline Soteropoulos at 215-854-4497 or jsoteropoulos@phillynews.com

2. Lord_Reaper

Lord_Reaper Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    The Vicks is a much more dangerous thing, almost as scary as The Biggs!!!

3. MJ_Keehan_Sundve

MJ_Keehan_Sundve Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    I thought this was going to be about Wedge Antilles.

Oh well.

Honestly... Who's gonna wear a fanny pack in public after the 80's??

4. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Someone who's packing

5. Lord_Reaper

Nov 8, 2002
    Packing fanny???

--edit--

Umm, that originally was intended to be just a statement with no extra context. I re read it, seeing a different context. Please take that away, it isn't meant to sound like that... Especially all you parents who had problems with Wholesome Movies like Disney's "The Rescuers"

6. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Especially all you parents who had problems with Wholesome Movies like Disney's "The Rescuers"

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    I actually think it's a cute show, although a bit slow in spots.

But, in the spirit of completely throwing a thread off topic, there's an interesting tidbit about "The Rescuers" at snopes.com - look under the Disney: Feature Films section. ;)

TOS warning - the above article references a very small picture of... er... "inappropriate adult content" - view at your own risk. Edited out link for "safety" reasons. ;)

7. Lord_Reaper

Nov 8, 2002
    giggle, I was actually referring to that when I brought up said movie

8. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    ah. [face_blush]

:D

oh well. ;)

9. Lord_Reaper

Nov 8, 2002
    Even still *HIJACKED*, I find all those movies *HIJACKED* a bit interesting when it comes to underlying *HIJACKED* themes and whatnot. *HIJACKED FOR MY QUEEN AS PER HER REQUEST*
    There are some instances where I remember *HIJACKED, RUN WITH IT* interesting leather clothes introduced into movies like 101 dalmations

10. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    indeed - not to mention the "mysterious phrases" **cough**Aladdin**cough** and "subliminal words" **ahem**LionKing**ahem** sketched into many a Disney scene.

So... how 'bout them Thundercats? :D That sword was the coolest. ;)

11. Lord_Reaper

Nov 8, 2002
    Oh, you mean in the sky above the palace where the word sex is in the sky? Yah, I wondered about that myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.