main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Watch the finale of ANH and tell me AOTC is in the same league

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by hawk, Nov 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Well when I was working in a theatre over the summer, most people were displeased with AOTC, but a lot of them came jsut because they heard Yoda fights, and they wanted to see if it was true, they weren't pleased when I told them it was in the last 10 min of the movie.

Lots of people liked AOTC, I knew it would eb the favorite of the saga for 95% of fans, its the one gL made for the fans, so that makes sense. But I think in general it was the worst recieved. I mean, "about a boy" started the same day at my theatre and after the first week was out selling AOTC, we had it on 2 screens all the way through till august, while AOTC was only on one, and was gone by the first week of July.

I'm sure its different at other theatres but thats how it played out at my place.

2. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Surely you jest.

3. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    SWfan2002, in your posts, you always speak like something out of Shakespeare. :p

4. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Thats because he's really from Naboo ;)

But no I'm not jesting, About a boy did great business, and I'm glad, its a good film based on a good book. I figured it'd get trounced by AOTC what with them opening on the same day, but It did well, I mean it probably cost under $10 million to make so its prfit was probably quite tidy, where as AOTC cost $130 million so while $330 million, while by no means shabby in any sense is not quite as big a profit. To me thats why word of mouth is so important.

If you look at the remake of Godzilla, or Batman4, or men in black 2, or even AOTC to some extent, they do awesome at first, but movies need great word of mouth to really soar. Sixth sense was the best recent example of this I think. A movie with no real promoting that became a huge hit.

5. SWfan2002

Jan 28, 2002
    If AOTC didn't have good word of mouth, how come it's still in theaters 6 months after it opened?

6. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    yes, which proves that AOTC did not get good word of mouth. The SW "nuts" when to see it then it dried up pretty quickly. Look at Titanic, that is the ultimate example of good word of mouth. People went to see it, they told there children, who told their friends who told theire friends, who told their parents which resulted in a big snow ball effect.

7. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "If AOTC didn't have good word of mouth, how come it's still in theaters 6 months after it opened?"

You mean the Imax?

8. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Yeah the prequels are so undeniably better that they've completely divided the fanbase.

A handful of whiney fans on a message forum is not a "divided fanbase".

9. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    Durwood, don't take everything so personal.

10. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    You mean the Imax?

He's referring to regular theaters. No, it's not in a lot, but it's still out there, and it's still turning a sizable enough profit that owners are reluctant to pull it. As for the Imax release, it's doing great business from what I understand, with some theaters selling out their shows a week or two in advance. This is even more extraordinary when you consider the fact that the movie's initial theater run was just a few months ago and the DVD release is immenent, yet Clones is still filling theaters.

Now tell me again that Attack Of The Clones is a movie that nobody wants to see.

11. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Durwood, don't take everything so personal.

?[face_plain]

12. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    Durwood, it just seems that if someone has a criticsism of AOTC, you take it as a personal insult.

13. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Durwood, it just seems that if someone has a criticsism of AOTC, you take it as a personal insult.

?[face_plain]

14. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Referring to fans who were dissapointed with the Star Wars prequels as "whiney fans" is innapropriate. The TOS asks for members to respect other people's opinions Durwood and comments like that show how close-minded and rude you are. If you have nothing intelligent to say then go elsewhere.

15. SWfan2002

Jan 28, 2002
    Why can't you accept Durwood's opinion that disappointed fans are "whiney"?

Remember, the TOS ask for members to respect other people's opinions.

16. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Referring to fans who were dissapointed with the Star Wars prequels as "whiney fans" is innapropriate.

"Whiney" is descriptive of behavior and is not a description of those who are merely disappointed but have moved on with their lives. There are some fans who have been whining about Star Wars for years; therefore, they are whiney fans.

17. dmt216

dmt216 Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2002
    I'm a huge fan of all the sw films and the dirty harry series . And just like the dirty harry series i love all the films best for diffrent reasons .

18. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "Now tell me again that Attack Of The Clones is a movie that nobody wants to see."

I don't agree at all, I think alot of people want(ed) to see AOTC and like it. Good for them. Personally I find it doesn't live up to the standard of the previous 4 intallments.

19. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    SWFan2002,

Then he would have to accept my opinion about him and then he'll call me names and I'll call him names back and we can then all go and play on the swings. If we want this forum to turn into NameCalling.net then I think we should make generalisations about other people and allow flaming and baiting remarks. Excuse me for asking for a little civility.

Durwood,

Keep it up.

20. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    A handful of whiney fans on a message forum is not a "divided fanbase".

You obviously take the criticsism personally if you have to retort with personal insults like that. I've seen you refer to me as "whiney" and "pissy" on more than one occasion but I don't consider myself as either of those things. All because I said AOTC was not as good as ANH or ESB, or something out of favour with you. I don't walk around putting in sneaky remarks here and there like "the pissy gushers think this".

21. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
  22. SWfan2002

Jan 28, 2002
    Talk about taking things personally...

23. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    A personal attack warrants taking things personally. It doesn't "hurt" any of us but it is personal nonetheless and it makes threads go off on tangents talking about the posters as is demonstrated right now.

Taking things personally when someone disagrees with you about a film is strange.

EDIT: Why some people can't have a discussion without resorting to name calling is beyond me. I think it is pretty immature.

24. SWfan2002

Jan 28, 2002
    Just as strange as spending time on a message board dedicated to a movie one doesn't like? I would think even moreso.

25. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    I actually like AOTC so I guess your little theory goes Kablammo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.