main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Watch the finale of ANH and tell me AOTC is in the same league

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by hawk, Nov 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    It would make more sense to compare the AOTC ending to ESB.

In this respect, I think AOTC is a few notches up on ESB with a more powerful ending for a 'middle' episode.

And since you asked, "AOTC is in the same league."

2. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    If this doesn't turn away from a basher/gusher conflict very quickly, this thread will go the way of Alderaan.

3. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    Having seen AOTC on IMAX this weekend, I can safely say that, yes, the ending compares favorably with ANH (and all the OT movies for that matter). The Empire is BORN at the end of AOTC, in two ways: all the ships take off for the clone wars, and Anakin and Padme get married, leading Anakin to a final conflict with the Jedi and ensuring Palpatine that he will get the services of the Chosen One to create his new order!

It doesn't get much better than that!

Having watched ROTJ again last night, it's pretty clear in my mind that AOTC is better than TPM or ROTJ. ESB and ANH, maybe.

4. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    The fact that I can count the number of people who took offense to this post on one hand certainly seems to indicate it's validity.

That coupled with the fact that it's the same people everytime that I seem to count on one hand proves it even further.

The fanbase is certainly divided:

29,999,996 to 4.

Real big division.

I won't lie when I say there are a more gushers than bashers on this forum, with a few in-between, not that it matters at all, like it's a contest or something. But I know there are far more people dissapointed with AOTC than this board represents. It's much easier to come here and post with excitement and love for a SW film than to post with dissapointment or even disgust with the latest SW film. For a person less-than-amazed with AOTC, they could either choose to post here or act with indifference, by not posting or even coming here at all.

5. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Watch the finale of ANH and tell me AOTC is in the same league

AOTC is in the same league.

6. Tom_Brady

Tom_Brady Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2002
    I won't lie when I say there are a more gushers than bashers on this forum, with a few in-between, not that it matters at all, like it's a contest or something. But I know there are far more people dissapointed with AOTC than this board represents. It's much easier to come here and post with excitement and love for a SW film than to post with dissapointment or even disgust with the latest SW film. For a person less-than-amazed with AOTC, they could either choose to post here or act with indifference, by not posting or even coming here at all.

I try not to label people. That creates the false illusion of division. We are all Star Wars fans, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

If you liked/loved AOTC, great!

If you thought it was.. just OK, cool.

If you hated it, well, sorry, better luck next time.

It's just the people who make a REALLY BIG DEAL out of the fact that they didn't like AOTC by claiming there is a hugely divided fanbase that makes me question their intentions.

Analogy of the day:

I personally was really dissappointed with what the Boston Red Sox did this past season. I thought they were awful. They had the potential to go to the World Series and they just gave up in the middle of August. So Lame. That doesn't give me the right to stand out side of Fenway Park saying "Don't bother going to the game, the Sox suck and half the fans hate them!" to everyone who passes by the ticket booth. And If I did do that, I would fully expect to get verbally abused by most of the people who disagree with me, or worse.

So my point is, don't be a gusher or a basher. Have some fun. But stop making the "fanbase division" and "poor reviews" out to be more important than they really are.

Make up your own mind.

Sheep.

7. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I stopped trying to defend TPM ( and to a lesser extent, ROTJ ) a long time ago, because people who hate these movies, and continue to voice their opinions, ad nauseum, here, aren't going to have their minds changed anytime soon. They'll see what they want to see.

As a "gusher" for the PT, I also see what I want to see, but I don't let this blind me to anything outside of my "bubble". I can plainly notice each and every fault in every SW movie. But I don't nitpick these things, and try to see everything in the larger picture.

It's actually a lot like Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's different feelings and views in the opening of The Phantom Menace.

"It's something elsewhere. Elusive..."

"Keep your concentration on the here and now."

Bashers are focusing on the "here and now" when they nitpick anything in the movies that a lot of gushers gloss over. And there is nothing wrong with this. In doing so, they're basically acting like Qui-Gon, employing the Living Force perspective. Ironically, the definition for the term "Living Force" says that one is more apt to form bonds with beings and all living things. "Living things" could apply to the real human actors in these movies, or their lack thereof within the PT. Jar Jar, the Clonetroopers, Watto, and now even Yoda - perhaps the most beloved character of The Empire Strikes Back - are all CG models, created entirely within a computer for the final result.

Gushers tend to see things in the wider picture. The final form. This is embodied by Obi-Wan in The Phantom Menace, who is employing the viewpoint of the Unifying Force. This term is defined as seeing the greater picture and destiny. That is why he has great concerns over what Anakin will become. He can see it more clearly than Qui-Gon, even though he is indeed the Chosen One.

In the end, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are both right. You must see the flaws and take note of the problems, but not at great expense, or at the risk of being blind. Stepping back and seeing the whole canvas is just as important.

As in all other things, balance must be achieved in order to reach enlightenment.

8. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Tom_Brady, you deserve a cookie for that post. What kind would you like? ;)

No, but really... well said.

9. FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002

FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    Strum Antilles wrote (and to Tom Brady too) :

"I stopped trying to defend TPM ( and to a lesser extent, ROTJ ) a long time ago, because people who hate these movies, and continue to voice their opinions, ad nauseum, here, aren't going to have their minds changed anytime soon. They'll see what they want to see"

Who takes starwars too seriously ?

People who do not like this or that in starwars and just say it, or people who feel personaly attacked when someone criticizes Lucas and his movies ?

Anyone can criticize a movie, a novel, a tv show, an article. There's no problem with it.

I don't like many things in the PT. Should I see a doctor ?
    And that doesn't mean I'm complaining !
    I'm just saying : this or that is cheesy, ridiculous, stupid or whatever.

Why always say that the more "negative" posters, complain, or whine ?

Attacking people because they criticize a saga you worship is strange to say the least ... The strangest thing is maybe that adult people *worship* movies like that !!
    A kid oriented fantasy saga !!! I mean, who cares ? Starwars is not important at all !!
    It's just fun.

10. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    Ok I did it. I watched ANH and then AOTC's on DVD. I'm leaning on the side of AOTC.

Which is really odd. Because ANH is my all-time favorite SW movie. but I give AOTC it's prop's. And it does have a great ending.

11. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Bad analogies, all.

12. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Personal attacks on the boards will not be tolerated.

13. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    I'd put the deployment of the Republic fleet set against the Imperial March ...against any scene in the OT

How ironic. That scene only holds ANY significance because of the OT. In terms of AOTC's storyline, it really held little meaning.

14. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, kinda of like how the famous "I am your father!" scene holds little meaning without A New Hope. That's just how things work in a multiple film saga.

15. Alderaanian_Jedi

Alderaanian_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2002
    I think the AOTC ending totally rocks the ANH. I cry everytime I see the Coruscant mobilization. But cept from that, ANH is a far better film then ANH.
    I`m sticking to my list of the best films.

1. ESB
    2. ANH
    3. AOTC
    4. ROTJ
    5. TPM

But I`m pretty sure Episode III will seize the 3rd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.