main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Watch The World Burn (OC Dueling Circle Challenge response. OCs. Battle Of Ruusan. Angst.)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Alley_Skywalker, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Title: Watch The World Burn
    Author: Alley_Skywalker
    Genre: Angst, Action (kinda), Dark Drama
    Timeframe: Battle Of Ruusan (1,031 BBY)
    Summary: A padawan refuses to except his master's possible death...
    Notes: This is the response to the latest OC Duelling Circle Challenge. This will have several posts in it.

The rain had started over half an hour ago, creating a fine mist of rain drops over the battle field. Despite the rain the flames of the raging battle still blazed brightly, the drizzle not enough to extinguish them. Rain wasn?t rare on Ruusan due to its temperate climate, but, it hadn?t rained for several months now. Some would find it ironic that the end of the last battle of one of the bloodiest conflicts in the galaxy?s history brought with it the nurturing cloudburst.

The victorious Jedi were making preparation for departure off planet as quickly as possible. A grave atmosphere hung heavily over the assembled atarfighters and medical ships. The knights were solemn and the padawans were all in various stages of shock recovery. There was no laughter or triumphant cheering. It was a respect delivered to those who had lost masters or padawans in the battle. And for honesty?s sake everyone present could say that they had lost a friend or acquaintance in the last barrage.

Padawan Utts Malkomb stood several meters away from the launching area, staring silently at the flickering flames that rose before him and receded into the depths of the war torn battle field. They crackled and sputtered, rejecting the rain and all its attempts to calm and exterminate them. They hissed their protest and seemed to laugh at the fifteen year old boy who peered through their walls with desperate desire to see past them and into the heart of the canyon. His desire to know the truth burned as hotly as the fire before him.

The truth?.

If only?

Anything was better but not knowing. Anything was better. He remembered Keithbert Heath saying ?no news is good news.? But no news could in no way suffice to anything positive at the moment. All Utts knew was that he wasn?t leaving before he knew. Before he knew for sure. And not even the Grandmaster could take him off this Force damn world.

Utts reached into the Force once again as he had been doing for the past hour at random increments of time. He pulled at the familiar link in his mind, impatiently at first, then getting no response he became hesitant and frustrated. There was nothing. Just emptiness. Yet it was still there?.lingering with in his perceptions.

He never heard the three knights coming up behind him and if he sensed them through the Force then his conscious mind did not register third presences.

?What do you think we do?? The youngest, Keithbert, asked softly. ?Kid?s been there for over an hour now. We?re gonna have to leave.?

?I doubt he?ll except that easily,? The young man next to him with dark hair like the night and icy blue eyes, Roland, replied unhappily. ?Allan?? He turned to the third young man, Allan, who was the oldest of the group and had the strongest connection to the Force.

?Hmm?? Allan grunted.

Roland?s voice dropped to a slightly quieter tone. ?Can you breach his shields without breaking them? Possibly without being detected??

?I doubt that,? Allan admitted.

?I want to know if he has any intention to going back there. Because that is something we can not allow.?

?Why can?t he be like a normal padawan?? Allan muttered as he sank into the Force. He didn?t see Keithbert glaring at him. After several moments Allan retuned from his trance shaking his head slowly from side to side. ?No.? he muttered. ?I can breach his shields but he?ll notice my presents.. I?m not sure but he seems to be on the edge. If we tell him that we are leaving he?ll most likely snap and demand to go b-?

?I know what he?ll demand!? Roland snapped in frustration. ?He still thinks that Velgen is alive.?

Keithbert watched Roland?s restless pacing for several painful moments,

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Very nice start. :)

3. Rogue_Pilot_2347

Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    This is great, Alley. I'm liking where this is going. Keep it up!

4. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    That's a really good start Alley. very intriguing. I can't wait to read the rest.

Cheers,
    Wyo

5. MoeTharen

MoeTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2005
    Padawan Utts Malkomb stood several meters away from the launching area, staring silently at the flickering flames that rose before him and receded into the depths of the war torn battle field. They crackled and sputtered, rejecting the rain and all its attempts to calm and exterminate them. They hissed their protest and seemed to laugh at the fifteen year old boy who peered through their walls with desperate desire to see past them and into the heart of the canyon. His desire to know the truth burned as hotly as the fire before him.

Whoa... Awesome descriptions, Alley. =D=

?I don?t care!? the boy blurted suddenly. ?I should have let everyone else handle Miguel. I should have gone with Master after Julio! I shouldn?t have left him!? There were tears in the padawan?s eyes now.

Oh poor kid! Now he's blaming himself. :( That'll just make things worse. :_|

Looking foward to more, Alley. Very interesting start.

-Commander Tharen-

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wonderful job! =D=

7. bmwgurl17

bmwgurl17 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    Go head Master with your bad self. LOL!

8. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    The victorious Jedi were making preparation for departure off planet as quickly as possible. A grave atmosphere hung heavily over the assembled atarfighters and medical ships. The knights were solemn and the padawan were all in various stages of shock recovery. There was no laughter or triumphant cheering. It was a respect delivered to those who had lost masters or padawans in the battle. And for honesty?s sake everyone present could say that they had lost a friend or acquaintance in the last barrage.

:_| This part really touched me. Very well-written.

?He had once threatened Master with the fate of burning along with all the other light-fighters. He said that the Jedi would burn. I never thought that that would be literal.?

:eek: That's awful!

Utts side and then seemed to fall into a monotone as he started talking. Relaying the events in their fullest and yet simplest form. His eyes never left the fire that lingered in it?s greedy triumph despite the rain.

I must know more. Soon. O:) Please?

9. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    Healer_Leona: Thanks!
    Rogue_Pilot_2347: Thanks! I hope you continue to like it :)
    WyoJedi: I'm glad you like it. Hope the update is just as pleasing.
    MoeTharen: yes...Utts does feelregret for not staying with his master.
    VaderLVR64: Thank you!
    bmwgurl17: :eek: Padawan! I am NOT "bad" as you call it. Well maybe I m. I'm just on an agst-fic streek. You should try it some time too;)
    Meredith_Kenobi: I'm glad that you're enjoying it. Here's more for ya :)

Ok here it is! Part II of III...maybe IV.

?Hand over the scriptures, Julio.?

The Sith apprentice only clutched the pamphlet closer to him and took several steps back from the steadily advancing Jedi knight. ?You will never have them, Jedi? he hissed.

Utts looked nervously between his master and the Sith who held the packet of ancient prophesies and Sith codes. The shallow cave was lit by a single torched leaned against the wall. Outside, Utts could here the booms of lazer canons and explosions.

?You have lost, Julio,? Velgen told him calmly in his usual commanding voice.

?No?my master has NOT taken me as an apprentice in vain. Darth Murderous will have his victory. He chose the right side of the Force. He was wiser then you!?

Velgen shook his head slowly from side to side. His features were placid but Utts could feel the spike of regret through their Force bond, which was hurriedly stifled by Velgen?s shields and then his will. ?Miguel was a fool that is what he was. And you, Darth Destroce, have been a pawn in his fools? game. Hand over the scriptures and the Jedi will spare you.?

?Never!? came the ear piercing shriek which was followed by a bellow of rage and suddenly the torch was flying toward the two Jedi They sidestepped it and it crashed into the wall, it?s flame going out. The cave was plunged into complete darkness.

What brought Utts back from his shocked state and to awareness was Julio?s evil cackle coming from the entrance of the cave and then the crunching of crumbling rock.

?Utts! The entrance!? he heard Velgen call in alarm. But Utts was already running toward the mouth of the came, pulling on the Force and sending tendrils of it toward the cascading rocks to throw them out of the way.

The two Jedi hurled from the pothole just as it caved in on itself. Utts looked around wildly and almost missed the shadow that was gliding away from them through the maze of the canyon. ?There!? Utts cried, adrenaline rushing through his veins as he started to sprint after Julio at breakneck speed. Velgen followed him.

They dashed around several curves before they finally could have a clear view of the Sith apprentice before them. Julio drew on the Force and leaped several levels up the steep slope of a mounted wall. Velgen and Utts followed. After a twenty minute pursuit they were almost to the main battle field. Utts could tell by the dry grassplot and twigs that snapped under their boots. Suddenly as they reached a large opening in the canyon walls Julio stopped and gave a maniacal laugh. The canyon walls caught the sound and echoed it so loudly that it almost drowned out the explosions from only a couple levels above.

A shadowy figure appeared at Julio?s side. A tall man in pitch black robes. His master.

The hood fell, revealing a man who was rather handsome for his not-so-young age. His eyes were dark and bottomless and the Dark Side swam around him like Braviir eels which lived in the icy pools of Mornth, the sister planet of Hoth. The cold eyes met Velgen?s and the two men stood still for several long moments, looking at each other.

Velgen spoke first. ?Miguel. It is over, my old friend.?

?No it is not, ?Miguel countered darkly. ?You can exterminate the Sith all you want but you can never exterminate the Dark Side. And I will personally insure that you will NEVER know our secrets.? He turned to the waiting Julio. ?Ashula?kusham hussah valuna.?

?Yessss, Masssssster.? Julio hissed and Force jumped over the heads of

10. Rogue_Pilot_2347

Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    Whoa. This is looking rather hopeless. Keep it up!

11. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    A/M: Well here it is the last post! Oh and to avoid confusion...yes it's still in the "past" in the beggining and then goes back to the "present"
    Thanks to Rogue_Pilot_2347 for reveiwing :)

Utts wasn?t sure for how they ran like that. Miguel out streaking him with his longer strides and Utts refusing to give up the chase. He didn?t dare stop to catch his breath, afraid that Miguel would disappear from sight, and drew on the Force instead to help his endurance. Explosions rained around them and Utts had to keep dodging flying peaces of red hot durasteel or compact fireballs which seemed determined to deter him.

They were now on the main battle front, up on the plateau into which the canyon was engraved. Utts didn?t see it at first and he might have not see it at all if a blinding flash from an exploding thermal detonator had reflected off of shiny polished durasteel.

Miguel?s sleek black speeder had been parked smugly in an indentation in the rock wall which separated a part of the canyon entrance from the plateau. Utts put on another burst of speed in fear that the Sith would escape. He saw Miguel swing into the cockpit with all the grace of a Force Master and start the engines.

The world went into slow motion as Utts started gaining precious meters. The landing gear of the speeder disengaged and Miguel spurred the thrusters, The young padawan threw himself at the rising speeder, managing to grab onto it with one had, It was all a futile effort, as Utts soon found out, for one sharp turn from Miguel had Utts tumbling to the ground, relying on the Force to cushion his fall.

The boy jumped to his feet and looked around frantically. Through the flames which lit up the night sky he could see the black speeder making its escape.

?Utts!?

Utts spun around to see Keithbert running to him, Shahn, his padawan, on his heals. ?Keith! Keith! It?s Miguel! He?s getting away!? Utts pointed toward the black speeder which was almost camouflaged against the sky, and would have been if it wasn?t for the fires.

?Miguel?? Keithbert asked, narrowing his eyes in confusion.

?Darth Murderous,? Utts explained frantically, his voice saturated with exasperation.

Keithbert whipped out his commlink and was shouting orders into it. The explosions made it hard to hear but Utts caught the last part. ?Shoot him down! Shoot him down, now!? There were several spastic plasma blasts from turbo canons and the black speeder went down in flames. Utts felt a wave of vengeful satisfaction which would later make him feel guilty.

There is no emotion there is peace?
    ?There is no passion there is serenity

The code had been drilled into him like into any Jedi at a very young age. But at this time it didn?t matter. Utts was aware of Keithbert tugging at his arm saying, ?We have to go! We have to run before we?re trapped. We?ve got them Utts. We have to go back!? But he didn?t care. The adrenaline was gone now and icy fingers had captured his heart. Where was Velgen? Where was his master?

Kriffing Sith!

The padawan reached for is master through the bond. But there was no response. He couldn?t feel Velgen?s signature through the Force. And yet the bond was still there. It hadn?t broken so his master had to still be alive. What if he was somewhere out there wounded? Or maybe just unconscious. The smoke stung his eyes and the stench of burning grass, metal, cloth, and flesh was making him feel lightheaded. Keithbert?s nagging became more urgent but Utts couldn?t move. It was hard to breath and his thoughts where so scattered that he couldn?t seem to cling to a single one. How he wanted to get away from there. Just to forget that all this was happening.

So he started to run.

The rumble of landing starcruisers, which where to replace the destroyed starfighters as a source of transportation off world, sounded in the background just as Utts had finished speaking, his eyes still riveted to the now slowly dissipating flames.

?Have you felt him ever since?? Keith aske

12. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    ?Remember what I once told you of your Fate, Jedi Mailliw??

AH HA! Caught you! Mailliw is William spelled backwards. :p

The padawan reached for is master through the bond. But there was no response. He couldn?t feel Velgen?s signature through the Force. And yet the bond was still there. It hadn?t broken so his master had to still be alive. What if he was somewhere out there wounded? Or maybe just unconscious. The smoke stung his eyes and the stench of burning grass, metal, cloth, and flesh was making him feel lightheaded. Keithbert?s nagging became more urgent but Utts couldn?t move. It was hard to breath and his thoughts where so scattered that he couldn?t seem to cling to a single one. How he wanted to get away from there. Just to forget that all this was happening.

So he started to run.

:eek: Very well written! My heart actually started to race as I read this.

Master?? The disbelieving whisper seemed to carry through the space between them and moments later the padawan had run to his master throwing his arms around the older man?s neck and burring his face into Velgen?s shoulder. The two held the embrace for a long beautiful moment during which both pairs of shields were lowered, the bond flooded with relief and affection. Finally they broke apart and walked to the starcruiser side by side where Keithbert, Shahn, Roland, and Allan welcomed them with amazed looks. A couple of smart-allac comments from Keithbert later the starcruiser lifted from the desolated surface of Ruusan.

:_| <-- happy tears.

This is one event I don't think that Master and Padawan are going to forget for...well, ever. And neither will I. Well done, Alley_Skywalker!

13. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    At first he didn?t see anything and the fear that he had just made a fool of himself started to creep onto him. Then the flames seemed to part and the dignified figure of Velgen Mailliw appeared, framed against the fire. He looked like he had been to Hell and back but he was ALIVE.

I was so happy to see he made it. [face_dancing]

The two held the embrace for a long beautiful moment during which both pairs of shields were lowered, the bond flooded with relief and affection.

Awww. They'll remember this day, always.

Great answer to the challenge. I really enjoyed it.

14. Lord_Zeron

Lord_Zeron Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2005
    Wow, that was excellent, Alley! The descriptions were perfect and the characters were great. I can't even begin to imagine the pain Utts was feeling at the lost of his master, and I don't think I breathed until he appeared again.

I've never actually read the comics about the battle of Rusaan, though I have read a lot about it, and I have to say that your story definently let me feel what it was like for the Jedi who were there. I could feel my own heart beating during the fight, and I'm glad to see that Velgen made it. Such a happy ending to a wonderful story!

--Zeron

15. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Padawan Utts Malkomb stood several meters away from the launching area, staring silently at the flickering flames that rose before him and receded into the depths of the war torn battle field. They crackled and sputtered, rejecting the rain and all its attempts to calm and exterminate them. They hissed their protest and seemed to laugh at the fifteen year old boy who peered through their walls with desperate desire to see past them and into the heart of the canyon...Utts sighed and then seemed to fall into a monotone as he started talking. Relaying the events in their fullest and yet simplest form. His eyes never left the fire that lingered in its greedy triumph despite the rain.

I really liked the characterization of the fire...

Below them, the world continued to burn.

It was good to see Utts faith and belief in his Master rewarded.

Great story Alley!

=D=

16. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    Meredith_Kenobi: lol. Yea Mailliw is William backwards. [face_batting]

Lola64: Thanks! I was hopping to get a bit of a sweet ending in there :)

Lord_Zeron: Acttually I haven't read the comics ether. I didn't know there were comics about Ruusan. But I have done reaserch on the battle and I find the whole Sith Wars thing facinating :) I'm glad you liked the fic.

correllian_ale: Thanks. I'm really happy that you liked it :)

17. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    I only read the first part right now, but I really like it! So his master may or may not be dead, but he can't tell for sure. I'd go back after him.

18. BrentusofGath

Aug 12, 2005
    "Coward!" Utts shouted after him. "This is all your doing! Traitor!" He forced his saber back onto his belt and sprinted after Miguel.

:eek: Wow! Utts is calling on the Darkside. Not good for a padawan, letting his anger control him. [face_shame_on_you]

Very good post!

19. BrentusofGath

Aug 12, 2005
    A couple of smart-allac comments from Keithbert later

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Great ending! Though it would have been much more evil to kill the dude off. [face_devil]

=D= I enjoyed that!

20. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    BrentusofGath: Thanks :) I'm glad you like it! I know...I could have killed Velgen off but I didn't feel that evil when I was writing this. Besides I guess I thought it would fit the challange better :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.