main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA Watcha Readin'?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Knight_JT, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Knight_JT

Jedi_Knight_JT Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2006
    I'm a big bookworm, so I thought it'd be nice to have a topic where we could post the titile & author of whatever you're reading & whatever else you want to share about it.

What I'm currently readin':

The Endless Knot - Stephen Lawhead

This is the third book in a trilogy based on the Celtic 'Otherworld'. The trilogy is called Song of Albion & it's pretty good if you like people traveling to other worlds through magic.

2. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    Chuck Pahlnuik - Pygmy

3. delta_1138

delta_1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2006
    Complete Tales & Poems of Edgar Allen Poe

4. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    In the past two weeks I read 8 of the books from the HBO Series True Blood; breezed through Stephanie Meyer's The Host(easy read) and am now struggling through Dune.

I usually cruse through a book in only a few days. This one just isn't catching me. I've heard SO many people say what a good read it is, so I'm determined to finish it then watch the movie.

Tried reading Revolutionary Road a few days ago. The writing style sort of reminds me of Catcher in the Rye. In my life, I've purposely not finished a handful of books, at most. This was one of them.

So, back to Dune. I'm determined to finish it!

Oh yea, I'm listening to a couple of different audio books right now, too.

5. jedi_onasi

jedi_onasi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2006
    I'm reading two books.

Ivanhoe - Sir Walter Scott

Stardust - Neil Gaiman

So far, both are very good.

6. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Stardust is one of my favorite movies. The book was very different from it, but still really good. The author is Neil Gaiman. He also wrote Coraline. I don't know about the movie, but the book is really creepy! I recommend it!

7. Jendi

Jendi Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 24, 2008
    OMG, I want to read the True Blood series, I was just talking about it at work. I love the show. I am reading Episode 1 by Terry Brooks. I need to get started on the book club read for July 7th. Kari are you going?

8. Jendi

Jendi Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 24, 2008
    This is a great thread. I just got all my coworkers to read Twilight. We all loved it. How was the Host?

9. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    True Blood: The first book didn't really catch me, but I went ahead and read the second one anyway. That one got me more and then I couldn't stop. I knocked out 8 of them in less than a week. They're geared toward an older audience than Twilight. Just started getting the series through Netflix. They're doing a pretty good job of following the first book. I'm really amazed at the explicitness of the series. Guess I'm just not used to cable!

The Host: I really like the story lines of Stephanie Meyer's books, but I'm not a huge fan of her writing style. In my opinion, she tends to ramble on a bit. A good editor would do wonders for her. I liked the idea of The Host and it kept me guessing as to how it would turn out until the last couple of chapters. The ending reminded me a lot of the last book in the Twilight series. It was good, but sort of anti-climatic.

Terry Brooks, Episode I. Read it before the movie came out. Loved it! I did that with all three of the books/movies. Is that what's supposed to be read by next week? Is the gathering on the 7th?

10. delta_1138

Aug 17, 2006
    I started reading Eragon today. I'm 200+ pages into it. It's pretty good, even though I can tell it was written by a teenager.

11. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    His writing gets better and more mature with each book. I think the 3rd one is my favorite and am looking forward to the final one. No date on when it will be out, though!

12. delta_1138

Aug 17, 2006
    He gets better? Good. I'll probably finish it before I go to bed tonight. Good thing I have the second one, too.

13. librarywalker

librarywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2009
    Just finished reading "The Minus Man", it was great, one of the few books that i actually sought out to read.

14. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006
    I'm reading Creature from Jekyll Island. It's about the Federal Reserve and how they not only got started in the U.S. but how it's an unconstitional entity. Most people don't know about the Fed, this book exposes it for what it is! [face_thinking]

Also reading Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levin. If you ever wanted a true history and civic lesson, then this is your book. This should be taught in EVERY school across this great nation! Don't even get me started!o_O

15. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Went to Amazon.com and read the synopsis. Not exactly a happy book. How was it?

Just a little light reading, huh? :D

I love the variety of books that we've got here! Another example of how diverse a group we really are.

16. librarywalker

librarywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2009
    no not happy, but puts you in a contemplative mood. It moves fast. The movie of it is great also. You never hate the protagonist, and you never really feel for any of his victims. Which was the point and the tone. I suppose very nihilistic. It's sort of like Brave New World or Catcher in the Rye or Lolita, they're not happy, but they're well written and interesting. But it's not dark and it's not gruesome and it's not laudatory. In keeping with the tone of the book, it just is. It's sort of like the same feeling i got after watching "No Country For Old Men" after seeing the end. Where there was a sort of benign feeling, but as a work it was good stuff. Hard to explain. But i liked it.

I saw the movie first and then read the book, i wish i'd done it the other way round (though if i had i might have had the same feeling). It was just noteworthy because i don't read many books any more (mostly i read web news) and i read very little fiction, but i really liked this book, so that puts it in rarefied air in the annals of adam.

17. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006

Wow, that's deep! :D

18. Jendi

Jendi Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 24, 2008
    I started reading the short story by Phillip H Dick, the Father-thing (at night). It is kinda creepy, had to take 2 sleeping pills to get the images out of my head. The Eragon series I liked, I have the 3rd haven't read it but Eldest was better than the first one. I am into this vampire thing, I don't know what is wrong with me. I only want to read vampire stories. Must be something sublimely in the True Blood series, which I DVR and watch over and over again.

19. delta_1138

Aug 17, 2006
    If you like vampire stories, try to get a hold of The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova. It's one of the best vampire stories I know.

20. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Kris, I picked that one up on tape sometime last year. I thought it was interesting.

21. delta_1138

Aug 17, 2006
    I thought it was great.

EDIT: I finished Eldest this morning. I really like the two, but I don't have Brisingr yet. I'll probably go to the library, cause I don't want to buy it till October when the special edition comes out.

22. Jedi_Knight_JT

Nov 11, 2006
    Star Wars: Dark Nest I: The Joiner King

23. delta_1138

Aug 17, 2006
    The Dark Nest Trilogy is pretty good.

24. DarthMalum

DarthMalum Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2006
    i am reading the Knights of the old republic comic book series.

25. Jedi_Knight_JT

Nov 11, 2006
    Yeah. I read it once before, but now I'm wanting to finish off the LotF series so I can get into the FotJ series.

Was Twilight any good? People keep telling me I should read it (my brother's girlfriend's sister for one...). It's a series right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.