main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA Watcha Readin'?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Knight_JT, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Twilight. Well, that's really just a matter of opinion. If you're a female somewhere between the ages of 12 and 22, I don't think have a choice but to squeal over it. I think it's genetic. :D Although, there are plenty of older people squealing over it, too. My son read all of them and liked them... not sure that he squealed, though.

I read the whole series (4 books) and enjoyed them. The story line was good and they're all a quick read. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of Stephenie Meyer's writing style. She's a bit wordy for my taste. I think her books would be so much better if she had a tough editor that would trim about 100 pages from each book.

If you're looking for a different take on modern vampires and werewolves, a little romance and some adventure all wrapped up in an easy to read series, you'll probably enjoy it.

EDIT: After reading the above, I'm questioning my right to call somebody else wordy!! [face_laugh]

2. delta_1138

delta_1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2006
    I know plenty of girls who think Twilight and its sequels should burn for eternity. Or maybe that's just me...
    Yeah, that's just me, but they definitely don't see what all the fuss is about.

3. Jedi_Knight_JT

Jedi_Knight_JT Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2006
    I like werewolves & vampires, a bit (loved the Moonlight TV series), but never really liked romance.... Guess that's a typical guy for ya.

4. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    It's not a lot of mushy romance. I hate romance novels! I suggest giving the first one a try. Like I mentioned, it's a quick read and there's a lot of adventure in it, especially as the series goes on.

5. jedi_onasi

jedi_onasi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2006
    I loved Moonlight! I was so mad when they cancelled it. I hope stupid CBS is kicking themselves for canceling. Jerks.

Anyway, I enjoyed Twilight. I am a big werewolf/vampire fan and I've read a lot of different books. It is very high school-ish, but it was highly entertaining. The whole he gives me butterflies is cute. It might annoy you, but the action bits are good.

And I say forget Bella & Edward, I'm all about Alice and Jasper. They're waaaaaay better than B&E. [face_laugh]

6. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    By far, Alice is my favorite! I want her as a best friend!

7. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006
    Just bought "Whatever it Takes" by Congressman J. D. Hayworth and will be starting this tonight. He's a Congressman in the fifth congressional district of Arizona. The book is on Illegal Immigration and Border Security...light reading![face_laugh]

8. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    A shirt for you to wear while reading!

[image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76/jedifan/Comic-Con%202009/ComicCon2009157.jpg]

9. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006
  10. Jedi_Knight_JT

Nov 11, 2006
    Another show I liked was Kings on NBC. They didn't give it a chance to get an audience. Let it air a few episodes, then put it on hiatus for three months before letting as few more episodes air, then they cancel it?!

11. Symina

Symina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    I'm seriously embarrassed to say I caved in and started reading Twilight. I thought the movie was lame, but I know books are usually better than the movies that they are based on. I bought the paperback at Target, and I seriously put the book facedown on the conveyor belt so hopefully no one else would see. Ha ha! I'm about halfway through, and it's actually pretty good. I was expecting something really bad.

12. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    You're funny!!!!

However, if you start squealing over it, we're gonna have to take it away!

13. jedi_onasi

Apr 3, 2006
    It's funny, because I had had no plans to read the books and my mom really thought that I would. But I figured they were stupid little teenager romantic/fantasy grabage. She only read them because of her friend at work.
    Ronnie and I finally caved and saw the movie first and we thought it was okay. (We went in with low expectations.) And even though the effects were super cheesy, the rest wasn't too bad. Except.....sparkly vampires?! :confused:
    So I decided to read the book and I got sucked in. I think the book is much better than the movie. They make Edward too....manic-depressive in the film.
    So I am kinda looking forward to the next movie. And I hope it's better than the last one.

14. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    As before, keep your expectations for the movie low. That way you won't be disappointed. I did the same thing. The special effects (I use that term loosely) were pathetic, but the story ended up being better than I expected.

15. DarthMalum

DarthMalum Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2006
    James is dead who cares about what happens now?

16. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Hey guys, be sure to highlight in black any spoilers for the people who haven't read them yet. :p

Oh yeah.

Snape kills Dumbledore.

17. Jedi_Knight_JT

Nov 11, 2006
    Is that really a spoiler still?[face_laugh]

18. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    Rachel, your avatar cracks me up. Obi-wan looks like Jesus there, so I'm always like, Oo, Jesus is visiting our boards again!

19. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    I finished reading New Moon yesterday. It was definitely inferior to the first book. I mean, how much can you read about the "ragged hole" in Bella's chest before getting bored? :rolleyes: Not enough action, too much moping.

20. jedi_onasi

Apr 3, 2006
    I just like the end.
    The whole crazy stuff in Italy, the Volturi, Alice stealing a Porsche.
    Gotta love that. ;)

21. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    Yeah, that part was good. It needed more of that, less pathos. I like Alice.

22. Jedi_Knight_JT

Nov 11, 2006
    Right now I'm reading the Dark Nest trilogy.

Star Wars: Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen

23. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    At Kris' recommendation, I'm reading The Historian. At over 600 pages, it's a weighty book, but I'm really engrossed in it.

24. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I picked that one up on tape on a clearance rack at B&N sometime last year. It was pretty good.

I'm going to start reading The Kite Runner.

At work, I'm listening to the most current Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood book. Dead and Gone... I think. That's been a pretty fun series.

25. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    Oh, I read that one. It's pretty disturbing. As a warning, it deals with child rape, so if you don't think you can stomach that, don't read it. It's not exactly a happy ending book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.