Watched Threads being dropped from list?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by BultarSwan, Nov 22, 2013.

Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF

star 10
    Just that. Every single time I've ever used the 'watch thread' option it works for around a week and then quits for no known reason. I should be watching the SWC Wes Janson Thread, the RPF Shadow Wars thread. It's a bit frustrating when I try to keep up with things by having external cues and am not able to. If y'all could fix this that would be most appreciated.
  2. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    I've not been having this issue with my own watched threads - are they still showing up in your listing?
  3. BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF

star 10
    As far as when I check out the forum? Yes. But no alerts to new posts. ... Has been happening since I first started using them. See, it works for a bit then stops for no known reason.
    Last edited by BultarSwan, Nov 22, 2013
  4. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Is it consistent across all threads? I'm wondering if it's a pre-move thread thing.
  5. BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF

star 10
    Yes it is. The SWC Wes Janson thread was made by me on this set of boards, too...
  6. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    Can you please explain in more detail what you mean by "it works for around a week and then quits for no known reason"? Are you expecting email alerts and not getting them? Expecting regular board alerts and not getting them?

Are the threads no longer on your list? When you open the thread does it no longer indicate you are watching it? (The link in the top right will either say "Watch Thread" or "Unwatch Thread" if you are already watching it.)

I'm watching about 30 threads total, but when I open the list of watched threads in my profile, it only lists the threads that have unread posts. You have to click the link that says "There may be more to view" in order to see your full list of watched threads.
  7. BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF

star 10
    Regular board alerts only, no email. It makes no sense, but I'll get a few per watched thread from the time I click 'watch' through a few more, say, three or four?

Every time I go to the thread it says I'm still watching it but I receive no alerts.

I've only watch a total of three at any given time. Going to the 'unread threads watched threads list' does not change that. The threads don't exist there either.
  8. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Do you regularly clear cookies from your PC? Maybe that's a factor.
  9. BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF

star 10
    No I do not. I'll try it.
  10. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    You could try clearing just the ones for 'boards.theforce.net'.
  11. Todd the Jedi Mod and Inquisitor of SWTV

Manager
    star 6
    Did you select the option " Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply" in preferences? It might be as simple as that. Same thing with Alert Preferences, specifically the "Replies to a watched thread" option.
  12. I Are The Internets Force Ghost

star 8
    You might also have to reply in them once in a while to continue watching them.
  13. Todd the Jedi Mod and Inquisitor of SWTV

Manager
    star 6
    ^^ I don't think that should be an issue. There's a few threads I watch bu literally never post in, yet I still get notifications for them after I've read them and there's a new post, and they always remain on my watched threads list.
  14. BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF

star 10
    I just cleared all cookies from my computer.

I did click to automatically watch the thread I created (if I remember correctly) but it did nothing. The 'replies to a watched thread' has always been there for all of them. I just checked again and it's still been chosen.

I haven't posted in several in ages simply because I never get alerts. >.>
  15. mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 6
    It seems to me that if you don't click on the alert and go to the thread and/or you don't reply in the thread, it drops off your alerts. If you click on the alert to go to the thread or reply to the thread, it will continue to give you alerts.

I have no idea if this applies to threads you've just clicked 'watch thread' and not replied to.
  16. BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF

star 10
    For the duration of the time where the alerts were working I would be visiting on a regular basis. But without that cue I forget about them, sort of an 'out of sight out of mind' thing.
  17. mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 6
    But were you clicking on the alert or were you just going to the thread? If you were just looking at your alerts by hovering over it and then clicking on the thread from the thread list and not actually on the alert itself, it would drop off.
  18. BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF

star 10
    I'd click the alert. Fastest way to get there. Annnd I just received an alert from a thread that is a few months old...
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza