main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Watched Threads being dropped from list?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by BultarSwan, Nov 22, 2013.

1. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    Just that. Every single time I've ever used the 'watch thread' option it works for around a week and then quits for no known reason. I should be watching the SWC Wes Janson Thread, the RPF Shadow Wars thread. It's a bit frustrating when I try to keep up with things by having external cues and am not able to. If y'all could fix this that would be most appreciated.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I've not been having this issue with my own watched threads - are they still showing up in your listing?

3. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    As far as when I check out the forum? Yes. But no alerts to new posts. ... Has been happening since I first started using them. See, it works for a bit then stops for no known reason.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Is it consistent across all threads? I'm wondering if it's a pre-move thread thing.

5. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    Yes it is. The SWC Wes Janson thread was made by me on this set of boards, too...

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Can you please explain in more detail what you mean by "it works for around a week and then quits for no known reason"? Are you expecting email alerts and not getting them? Expecting regular board alerts and not getting them?

Are the threads no longer on your list? When you open the thread does it no longer indicate you are watching it? (The link in the top right will either say "Watch Thread" or "Unwatch Thread" if you are already watching it.)

I'm watching about 30 threads total, but when I open the list of watched threads in my profile, it only lists the threads that have unread posts. You have to click the link that says "There may be more to view" in order to see your full list of watched threads.

7. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    Regular board alerts only, no email. It makes no sense, but I'll get a few per watched thread from the time I click 'watch' through a few more, say, three or four?

Every time I go to the thread it says I'm still watching it but I receive no alerts.

I've only watch a total of three at any given time. Going to the 'unread threads watched threads list' does not change that. The threads don't exist there either.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Do you regularly clear cookies from your PC? Maybe that's a factor.

9. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    No I do not. I'll try it.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You could try clearing just the ones for 'boards.theforce.net'.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Did you select the option " Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply" in preferences? It might be as simple as that. Same thing with Alert Preferences, specifically the "Replies to a watched thread" option.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You might also have to reply in them once in a while to continue watching them.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    ^^ I don't think that should be an issue. There's a few threads I watch bu literally never post in, yet I still get notifications for them after I've read them and there's a new post, and they always remain on my watched threads list.

14. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    I just cleared all cookies from my computer.

I did click to automatically watch the thread I created (if I remember correctly) but it did nothing. The 'replies to a watched thread' has always been there for all of them. I just checked again and it's still been chosen.

I haven't posted in several in ages simply because I never get alerts. >.>

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    It seems to me that if you don't click on the alert and go to the thread and/or you don't reply in the thread, it drops off your alerts. If you click on the alert to go to the thread or reply to the thread, it will continue to give you alerts.

I have no idea if this applies to threads you've just clicked 'watch thread' and not replied to.

16. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    For the duration of the time where the alerts were working I would be visiting on a regular basis. But without that cue I forget about them, sort of an 'out of sight out of mind' thing.

17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    But were you clicking on the alert or were you just going to the thread? If you were just looking at your alerts by hovering over it and then clicking on the thread from the thread list and not actually on the alert itself, it would drop off.

18. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    I'd click the alert. Fastest way to get there. Annnd I just received an alert from a thread that is a few months old...