main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Watching Him, Watching Her- A L/M Vignette, Companion to "Steel"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Miska, Aug 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    Author's Note: OK I know the title is terrible, so just ignore it everyone :) It's a companion piece to my vignette Steel, so I recommend reading that one first. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Everything that you recognize belongs to the Great Flanneled One, everything else is mine ;)

Summary: As Luke watches Mara during lightsaber practice, someone else is watching him.

See that guy over there? No, the blond one. Recognize him?

Luke Skywalker?s been a regular here ever since I reopened Gamma?s Gym a couple of years ago. The first time he walked in, I couldn?t believe my eyes. Luke Skywalker, in my place? [i]That?s something to tell the guys during our next sabaac night,[/i] I thought. My wife says he comes here because it?s one of the few places on Coruscant with practice rooms for sparring- Dad put them in when he had the place built because he always said the Jedi would come back some day. But me, I think he comes here because he knows I won?t call the paparazzi on him. I mean, hey, if a guy can?t have some privacy when he?s working out, then when can he have it?

Every time he comes in, he asks if she?s here. If I say no he just nods, checks out a room, and takes his laser sword to practice sparring. I like watching him on the security cams- even though I usually have something more practical to do. But he handles that thing as if it?s a part of him; like an extension of his arm or something. You really get to know a man when you watch him sweat, and that Skywalker is a good guy.

But sometimes, more often than not, the redhead is there. I can?t remember her name at the moment; it?ll come to me. But if she?s around, sometimes he?ll watch her fight through the transparisteel window. She doesn?t see him because the window is double-sided. I can?t describe the look on his face when he watches her like that. It?s sorta wistful, like he wants to say something but he?s too shy. But that can?t be it. I mean, come on. Luke Skywalker, Jedi hero of the galaxy, acting shy around?

Jade. That?s it, Mara Jade. She?s always so focused on what she?s doing that I doubt she?d notice Skywalker was there even if she could see him. Now, she fights that remote unwaveringly, intensely, as if she?s got a picture of her opponent in her mind?s eye. And she rarely takes a break. It?s almost like she?s trying to fight something out in herself, some devil that she hasn?t quite come to grips with yet. I dunno, maybe I am getting corny in my old age, like my wife tells me.

I have to smile as she hurls that laser sword of her across the room. Sure, the girl?s got a temper, but I know she?s not as heartless as those tabloids make her out to be. Skywalker almost cringes as the weapon clatters to the floor. He looks kinda sad from here, and I wonder why her weapon means so much to him. As I tear my gaze back to the account pad where I?m going over my bills, I find myself speculating on the relationship between those two. Sometimes they come in together to practice sparring, and from the way they act I just know they have some kind of history together. Not for the first time, I wonder what it is in their lives that?s brought them to this point- her, wrestling with her demons, and him, wanting so bad to help.

She falls again, crashing to the floor and muttering a curse under her breath. Skywalker looks like he wants to say or do something, but he doesn?t know what. And besides, that locked door is in his way?

I can?t help myself. I mean, the guy practically saved the galaxy; the least someone can do is give him a chance with a girl. So even though I know it?s a breach of privacy, I call out his name and toss him the key to her sparring room. He grins- a gesture that suddenly makes him look years younger- and mouths a ?thanks? before going to the door. I go back to my account pad, but I can?t get my mind off those two. I should probably feel guilty on the redhead?s account, but I don?t.

I have a feeling she nee

2. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    very nice

I thought it'd be Anakin's ghost watching Luke...... :p

3. JainaSticksSolo19

JainaSticksSolo19 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 31, 2003
    i like it. is there gonna be more?

4. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Miska, this is wonderful!!! I really enjoyed that outsider's account of their relationship, and how he saw that Mara's wrestling with demons.

Echoing others, will there be more?

5. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Miska, I was so excited to see a companion to Steel! This is different from what I'd imagined, but really fascinating. It's a very interesting and well executed premise. Like my evil twin, I like the outsider's perspective. Nicely done! :D

I can?t describe the look on his face when he watches her like that. It?s sorta wistful, like he wants to say something but he?s too shy.

That's so sweet, and so Luke. Just lovely. :) Will you be expanding on these two vignettes? [face_hopeful]

6. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Awesome job Miska
    Hmmm, even an outsider can see Mara wrestles with inner demons.
    [face_love] how he gave Luke the key. Hehe

7. Agent_Jaid

Agent_Jaid Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 21, 2003

*bounces*

Want more!!

Need more!!

:D Give more!! :D

*bounces*

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] ME LOVE THESE [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

8. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    That was wonderful. ..

the whole galaxy seems to be on Luke's side here . . . (well not completly) I love that.

You have a way of making characters so real. :D

9. rogue11lovesjag

rogue11lovesjag Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Lovely, both vignettes. Congratulations on a well written story.

~Rogue

10. Rivad_Bacar

Rivad_Bacar Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2002
    I have a feeling she needs this as much as he does. Awww! [face_love]

This was great Miska! You should be very proud of your writing! It's full of good fealing, detail, and very fun! Great job! (And keep up the Luke/Mara work! ;) )

11. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    That was great, Miska! The outsider's view of Mara and Luke's relationship was great to read, and the way you went about showing it was pure brilliance! Awesome job!

12. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Great little vignette, Miska. I love little moments like this that we normally wouldn't see, and loved the gym owner's thoughts.

13. Master_Vicky

Master_Vicky Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    Once again, good job. I thnik it was cool how you used someone else's POV. Are you going to write more? :)

-Vicster

14. Miska

Apr 18, 2002
    Thanks guys :) I'm glad you all liked it; but sadly I don't think there are gonna be any more additions to this :(. LOL I think anything else would just be overkill, but who's to say I won't write another L/M piece in the future? I'm certainly hooked on Mara :)

Jedi_Liz- Thanks! Anakin's ghost, hmmm? I never really considered that, but I can see how the little summary might lead you to believe it :)
    JainaSticksSolo19- Thanks for reading!!
    LadyPadme- Glad you enjoyed it :)
    Gabri_Jade- Thanks! I tried to write Luke so he didn't come off as too pathetic LOL! I thought it would be interesting to create a different character and see what he picked up on in Luke and Mara's relationship.
    Agent_Jaid- LOL!! I'm flattered :)
    maramijade- That's what every writer lives to hear ;-) Thanks! And since up to this point in Luke's life he hasn't been able to keep a girl, I figured it was about time he got a hand ;-)
    rogue11lovesjag- Why thank you :) And thanks for reading!
    Rivad_Bacar- Thanks, I believe I will :)
    Jedi-2B- I love writing about ordinary moments in a character's life...it makes them seem more real to me. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)
    Master_Vickey- Thanks! :)
    Lt_Jaina_Solo- Brilliance...I like the sound of that! :) Seriously, thanks for reading!!
    J_M_Bulldog- LOL I don't think Mara is as in control as she thinks she is...at least not where Luke is concerned :)

15. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Wow. That was really cool. Interesting how you had it from an outsiders point of view, it really shows what's going on. :D Great viggie!

16. joy_noel

joy_noel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2002
    The outsider was thinking everything we were all thinking reading all those books over the years. ;) Great job!

17. Dancing_Jansons

Dancing_Jansons Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Aw, I liked this as much as I liked Steel, Miska.

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to be a parrot and echo how cool I think it is to get an outsider's perspective on Luke and Mara. They're so familiar to us SW fans, it is interesting to see them from the perspective of one of the GFFA's "ordinary" citizens.

Very well done!

18. Saber-of-Light

Saber-of-Light Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Steel was great, and this was no less, Miska! I loved how you wrote it :) Great job! :)

19. Bellyup

Bellyup Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2002
    Wow. Seriously--this is even better than Steel. Not naming the outsider was a wonderful touch. It made things sort of myseterious but so realistic. What a unique thing to do!

It?s sorta wistful, like he wants to say something but he?s too shy. But that can?t be it. I mean, come on. Luke Skywalker, Jedi hero of the galaxy, acting shy around? hehe...I really liked this line for some reason. Odd things sometimes hit on me funny, that's all.

Congrats again on a fabulous piece!

20. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    Hmm that's good now I better go read it's companion.

21. Miska

Apr 18, 2002
    Wow, even more readers!! Thanks for all the nice things you guys are saying about these vignettes- it means a lot to me and I'm delighted that you all enjoy reading about Luke and Mara as much as I do writing about them!

Jaina_and_Jag- Thanks for reading, I'm glad you liked it!

joy_noel- AMEN!! I couldn't WAIT for those two to get together...although I have to admit that I just scanned all the parts of the Thrawn Trilogy and VotF until I got to the L/M parts...doesn't make me a bad person, does it? ;)

Dancing_Jansons- LOL don't worry, it never gets old! No matter whose head I'm getting into, I love writing in the first person- and I'm glad you enjoyed reading it!

Saber-of-Light- Thank you very much!

Bellyup- Actually I confess...I'm horrible with SW names and rather than give my little gym owner some stupid Earth name of my own creation, I decided to keep him anonymous. Thanks for reading :)

Dev_Binks- I'm glad you enjoyed it- and btw, I love your sig! I live in Florida, and I have to say it's only too true :)

22. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Miska, this was wonderful. To repeat the (probably very old now) comments of others, I loved the unique perspective of the gym owner. It let me see Luke and Mara from a not-as-knowledgable POV, yet even though the man didn't know too much about the two of them, the insights he gained into their relationship was great. A very good vignette, I must say. :D

23. Benjor45

Benjor45 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 25, 2003
    Great fic in first person! :D

I could see myself in place of the gym's owner and wishing Luke luck. Good imersion in such a short fic! Great job!

I've had a similar idea for a first person fic since reading I, Jedi.
    I have already some sketches, instead of an outsider it would be some of Luke's friends point of view.
    It happens to me all the time: when I think I've had an original idea it turns out someone thought of that eons ago. :_| :p

24. Miska

Apr 18, 2002
    Thanks LianaMara! No, the compliments never get old :) I don't know if you know this, but I'm the one who just beta'ed your fic a couple of hours ago :)

Everyone NEEDS to go check out LianaMara's "A Dream Within a Dream", it's amazing!!

Benjor_45- If you decide to write on your idea, PM me a link!! And actually it was your idea first, b/c I just thought up this story a few weeks ago :) Thanks for reading, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

25. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Miska--I think I need to apologize to you. I have never read your amazing stories before! I just got done reading this and Steel and...wow! I'm so impressed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.