main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WATCHING SW IN SEQUENCE

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by First_Stage_Lensman, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Dont take it personally

JFP has a slight tendency to wind people up, especially if they don't agree with his point of view.

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I think it works best seeing them 1-6 because you lose less surprises that way.

Sure the fact that Darth Vader is Luke's father and Leia is Luke's Sister is a doozie, but the fact that Yoda is really Yoda not so much.

If you see them 4-6 then 1-3, you spoil the suprises that main characters survive, that Palpatine is Sidious, that Anakin turns to the dark side, that the Jedi Order is nearly wiped out of existance, that the Empire is formed, the list goes on and on.

At lest watching them in order allows the story to unfold as it happens.

3. PADA-WAN

PADA-WAN Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2005
    There are 6 sides in a die. And 6 movies in Star Wars. That's what I like to do when it's my turn to pick the movie at my house!

4. Evil-Yoda

Evil-Yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    Ive tryed watching it from 4-6 then 1-3 but for some reason it doesnt work for me, ill have to try watching them in order one of these days...

5. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    Thanks WolvoIt makes sense after reading his other posts. Different boards, different people sometimes :)

6. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    I'm not sure, if people who watch them 1-6 first will be all that surprised at the demise of the Jedi Order.

The PT is building up to something bad happening to the Jedi (with them being manipulated into using the Clones etc).

Also Anakin's flashes of darkness point to him being overtaken by the Darkside at some point.

Nothing pointed to Vader being Luke's father.

7. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Except for Owen's, Beru's and Obi-Wan's mumblings in ANH, not to mention Yoda's heavy reluctance to train Luke in ESB, all of their anxieties revolving around his similarities to his father.

8. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    No offense, but I think you either have to be pretty young or pretty nim to be surprised that Sidious=Palpatine, i mean they are played by the same actor...

9. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    You'd be surprised how many people didn't think ahead enough to see it.

10. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    Please don't tell me you worked out Vader was Luke's father from this!!!

11. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Nah, just saying there's plenty of foreshadowing.

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Still, you retain the most suprises in 1-6 order.

Foreshadowing something bad happening to the Jedi order is not the same as explaining they were almost wiped out of existance.

13. Darth_Morhs

Darth_Morhs Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 11, 2005
    I agree with Go-Mer-Tonic. If you watch them in order, you expect what normally happens in a movie: everyone to survive, but barely, then come out victorious by the skin of their teeth. But instead, there's a lot main characters dying somewhere in the movie, and the only consistant characters are Obi-wan, Yoda, Vader, and Palpatine.

14. Boba16

Boba16 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2006
    I still go by that there is no way in hell I am starting someone off with TPM & AOTC, when I can start them off with ANH & ESB. You have to grab the viewer so they want to watch all 6, and if you start the sagas with those two prequels, I am afraid you may never get the viewer to Episode III.

I know what got me into Star Trek was Wraith of Khan, and I was told at an early age to skip Star Trek: The Motion Picture. 25 years later, I have to say those people were right, cause if I saw Star Trek: The Motion Picture first, I may have never wanted to see Star Trek II.

15. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    The difference with the Star Trek movies is most of them have entirely self contained stories. If The Motion Picture was the story that set up Kahn, then it would be a sturdier point.

I can understand why people who have a bias against the prequels wouldn't want to start someone on them, but for me, I think it all flows best 1-6 for a first time viewer. I think the prequels are just as good as the classic trilogy though.

16. Boba16

Boba16 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2006

17. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    I started watching Star Trek with The Motion Picture. I enjoyed it and watched others because of it. Maybe if I'd watched the original series beforehand I would've dismissed it, but that's neither here nor there.

Seriously, though, my personal strategy is this-- if I'm going to choose an alternative order I choose one that makes sense, like the Spiegel Method or maybe the Godfather Part Two method, rather than one which restricts narrative logic like OT-PT. Otherwise, I just do what the numbers at the beginning of the movie tell me to do.

18. darthzeppo

darthzeppo Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 21, 2005
    When I first saw A New Hope I was disappointed. Empire salvaged the original trilogy for me. This was before the PT came out.
    Showing some one OT first will not necessarily be more effective than showing them in the right order. Which ones they like the best depends on the individual. You might show them OT ? PT and their favorite would end up being The Phantom Menace!

I prefer to watch them in 1-6 order ? but AOTC and ANH back to back is fun.

19. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Again, the PT is just as good to me. It doesn't fail to grab me right from the get go as it does for some of the rest of you, and I would prefer to keep as many surprises in tact as possible, which is why I would recommend 1-6 for a first timer.

20. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Well said. Makes sense.

I enjoy each STAR WARS movie equally and fully and on July 1 of this year, for the first time I watched each STAR WARS movie in order by episode number on the same date, each one immediately following the other. It was an absolutely great experience and totally felt like one continuous story. It was amazing fun. :cool:

21. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    Why?

22. Bisrossk

Bisrossk Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2006
    My little sister and cousins tried watching the first one. They didn't like it and for awhile they refused to watch ANH. After a couple years I finally got my sister to watch it. She ended up watching ESB a couple hours later. The only reason she hasn't watched ROTJ yet is because I have to find my old VHS' again (I won't let her watch my DVDs. She's not growing up seeing version...)

Personally I like watching them 4-6 because I never plan on watching the PT again.

23. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    The difference with the Star Trek movies is most of them have entirely self contained stories. If The Motion Picture was the story that set up Kahn, then it would be a sturdier point.

Yeah, TMP definitely did nothing to set up ST2. While I did enjoy TMP, its a throw-away ST movie in the grand scheme of things.

24. darthzeppo

darthzeppo Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 21, 2005
    I prefer to watch them in 1-6 order ? but AOTC and ANH back to back is fun.

Why?

Winston_Sith

Because Princess Leia is acting just as bratty & arrogant as Anakin & Luke is just as whiney & overconfident.
    ? I?m ready for anything!?
    I find it much funnier now after seeing the PT, before then Leia was just annoying. Now I know why she?s like that!!!

I heard Hayden mimicked some of Marks facial expressions. If this is true he did a good job because when I?m watching the OT the way Luke acts sometimes just jumps out at me as being Anakinsish.

25. DarthDarthBennyHaHa

DarthDarthBennyHaHa Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2005
    My problem with 1-6, is after the PT the OT is so clunky, slow and isn't very funny. I prefer 4-6, 1-3 because that way the films get better. I mean if you watch the PT first, you get used to great humor like JarJar or 3-P0 in the Droid Factory and Arena, and it just all down hill from there. Also, I really miss Anakin in ANH. I really wish Lucas would remake 4-6 to be the same quality as the PT, then I could go for 1-6!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.