main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Watching TFA and TLJ Back to back?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Leoluca Randisi, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    That edit was very impressive. If TFA had ended like that, I think there would be so much hate and discussion "that's not how a SW movie is supposed to end and cut to credits."

TFA ending was great and one of a kind. It did get cheapened with TLJ and the toss. One thing that helps though is that there are a few scenes at the start of TLJ that isn't the island. So while technically no time has passed on the island, it sure feels like it, especially with space battles.

2. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    I thought the opening space battle worked well (Paige in particular). But come to think of it, if time passed, we still went to Rey and Luke immediately after TFA, which doesn't quite sync up...

I wonder if TFA Luke was meant to have been on the island for a reason, or even waiting?

3. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I think pretty much what Han said. Went to go look for the Jedi temple. Though would he have eventually left said island probably not. Did he know Rey was coming? TLJ Luke didn’t cause he was cut off from the force. Was TFA Luke cut off from the force? I think so cause why would Kylo need a map to track Luke down?

4. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I'm watching them back to back right now. Thank you TNT and Vudu!

cwustudent likes this.
  5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I did this while getting ready for the podcast my buddy and I recorded comparing these two films. (Check out the podcast link in my signature! And yes, I'm still hocking it!)

The only part of TFA that really felt different now was that I found I was already kind of checking out in terms of investment when we get to the end and Rey starts climbing towards Luke. This probably *is* because of the discord between the different tones Abrams and Rian were going for with the same scene, respectively, since otherwise, I found that I can still watch TFA, which I still think of as a far superior story, without my apathy towards TLJ impacting it.

Both films feel like their craftsmanship in terms of dialogue and directing is consistent and much improved over the Prequels, and I like the aesthetic style they bith share and modify between themeselves.

...But I do find myself SO heavily engrossed in TFA, and enjoying the character arcs, music, and plot so much, that in comparison, I'm *utterly* cold and indifferent towards TLJ's core elements. I get engaged with Hamill's acting and comedic delivery because I enjoy watching a master at work, but I don't really emotionally connect with and recognize Luke until the very end, which is a pretty awesome and powerful scene. Otherwise, I find all the characters so static or frustratingly pushed aside that I don't really care. The only part that really grinds my gears to the point of irritation is the Space Chase and everything around it; even as objectively beautiful and impressive as the hyperspace ram is, I find the lack of setup and "Fridge Logic," to use the Tv Tropes parlance, to just make me ticked that neither Finn nor Rose could contribute to the scene.

TFA still clicks with me 100%. I love the SHIZNIT out of Finn's story, Rey's story, Kylo's gradual breakdown, and the usage of Han and the other classic OT characters and tropes, which I know is blatant fanservice, but dagnabit, it works for me!

One thing I definitely noticed as a contrast between the two films that favors TFA was how much better the scripting and directing was at *showing* not *telling.* Finn's introduction, Rey's introduction, the duels on Starkiller Base, the Force flashback at Maz's castle, and Rey meeting Luke, all of those scenes are either laconic in regards to the main characters or actually silent save for Williams' fantastic score and SFX. And they show you so much! Boyega, Ridley, and Driver get to show their full range and potential without saying a word and just using facial expressions and body language. In contrast, TLJ comes off as fairly wordy, and a little bit more exposition heavy and, well, empty in some ways, and I can't help but feel that the core ST3 all got less to do and less tow rom with than they did in TFA.

6. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I will agree with you 100% on the really strong visual storytelling JJ deploys (especially in the opening act) of TFA. I think by nature of the second film vs the set up there was always going to be much more dialogue.

7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Oh, some amount of exposition and explanation was almost guaranteed just because of the mystery elements from TFA. And honestly, the Part of me that loves RJ's Brick didn't mind the Rashomon style retelling for the flashbacks coming with narration. That's very much classic noir.

Now, I would argue that, for me, too many aspects of the plot and character actions in TLJ are unaddressed by either exposition or visuals, but I tend to think that's because RJ, as good as he undoubtedly is, struggled to juggle every single subplot and ensemble scene in comparison to Kasdan and Abrams's work TFA, largely because he tried to expand so much. Both TFA and TLJ are large ensemble pictures with multiple subplots, but TFA benefits for me in that we're still generally focusing in on an centering around Finn, Kylo Ren, and Rey; Han's really the only major character not in that trio to get any focus without those three, and it's still very brief. In contrast, TLJ has a more sprawling plot that strikes me as a bit shallower in character exploration because we've got such a larger cast, and because we're suddenly following Poe and Holdo with quite a bit more independent focus than Han got in TFA.

I love Oscar Issac, but to me, Poe's scenes were very cuttable in TLJ.

Bor Mullet, Satipo and Eternal_Jedi like this.
  8. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Interesting. I agree that TLJ is way more sprawling than TFA, but I also think that the character work is stronger in TLJ than TFA. But I can see why the crosscutting across the stories can make it feel less focussed for some.

Doom_Buggy and RavagerFish like this.
  9. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    The emphasis on TFA is to introduce and make you like these characters and see their strengths while exposing their blind spots and weaknesses that may go places but not letting those weaknesses go too far initially so that the characters are liked more.

The emphasis on TLJ is to take those blind spots and weaknesses and determine what are the hardest things these characters could come by independently or in the presence of someone who might bring out the worst in them to see how they handle it and grow and add depth and complications to the dynamics so that IX can be more crowdpleasing following the less crowdpleasing and challenging/darker middle chapter.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Doom_Buggy and Satipo like this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm more curious on what happened to that helicopter pilot that was circling Rey and Luke at the end of TFA. Did he crash his chopper and die?? No closure. WORST SW MOVIE EVER MADE

11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Bingo. Leia is a key example of this.

Satipo likes this.
  12. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    A few more:

Rey runs away after having an experience with the saber that she didn’t expect and encounters Kylo Ren.

Rey sees the best in Finn and tries to turn him (from running) and Finn ultimately does after she’s left. She tries to do the same with Luke and later Ben.

TFA shows BB8 using cables and ropes with proficiency and speed in a way that when I saw again immediately reminded me of the guards being roped up and made it easier for me to imagine.

2 min & 9 seconds in and 2 minutes and 40 seconds in. Now, obviously it was smart to just cut away and like a lot of the BB8 scenes it feels more for the younger kids but it’s still a minor tie-in noticed. Don’t know if it was the same cables but he doesn’t use cables on screen again so I suppose they might have been?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  13. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Funny you should ask. When TFA came out I hated everything about it, so I didn’t even care enough about TLJ to bother hating it. I just found it amusing how bad it was. But I’ve always said I’d rather watch a bad movie than a mediocre one, so I actually found myself really anticipating the blu-ray release.

When I got it I watched it with my mom and that helped me let go and enjoy it a bit more. So next I decided to watch them back to back, and to my surprise I suddenly found that I really liked both of them. I can’t really explain it. They still aren’t on the level of the Lucas saga for me or anything, and there are little things about both movies that still annoy me, but it wouldn’t be Star Wars without that anyway. I think they complement each other well though, and now I’m looking forward to seeing how the trilogy plays together in total.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  14. Anslyder

Anslyder Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 8, 2018
    Rewatched both for the first time yesterday.

The good:
    TLJ isn't as disconnected as I thought it was and actually was connected to TFA.
    The OT trio roles were really satisfying (Luke's arc especially is really good).
    The new characters are more likable after a rewatch (this include Rose).
    While Rey was a little over the top with her abilities in TFA, her character's journey actually become better after TLJ.
    Finn has the best arc from the new characters and his actor give the best performance so far (seriously, why Driver is the one getting the praise? Boyega has given a better performance and nailed his role in most of his scenes).
    I actually like the resistance better now.
    Snoke's has a better presence mainly thanks to his actor.
    Holdo's sacrifice was heroic and touching.

The bad:
    The editing looks worse than I remember.
    FO completely lack any kind of originality and actually one of the worst parts about ST.
    Kylo is even worse than I remember and I'm not sure that the story group know what they want his character to be about.
    Hux was better in TFA and a bigger joke in TLJ.
    Lack of world building.
    The Ren Knights being very underutilized so far.
    The plantes and the aliens are so bland and lack creativity.
    Phasma's role and her death.
    Canto bight side story could have been better.
    The first part of TLJ was a chore to rewatch (except Luke's scenes) and the second part of TFA was pretty boring.
    The conflict between Poe and Holdo was really forced.
    The acting was pretty weak in some of the scenes.
    The lightsaber fights.
    Holdo and DJ are wasted potential.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    The Deuteragonist likes this.
  15. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    The only part in the two movies that to me seemed a little off When Rey meets Luke for the first time in TFA it is cloudy on the Island that same scene in TLJ IT Is sunny, But if you can look past that or chalk it up to a stylistic thing then Hey its all good! Like the only thing that really bugs me but I am totally over it. Don't even notice it anymore. May be the clouds parted and sun came up when she handed him the lightsaber who knows?

I think The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of the Jedi not only felt Tonally different from one another but also from A New Hope And that's understandable because the entire OT was directed by different Directors. I think at the end of the day the one ST movie that feels Tonally different should be TLJ because It had a different Director not named JJ Abrams but again that is totally understandable but like The OT like in 10 to 20 years I think the different styles of two different Directors will be less noticeable and unless your a fanboy like us you probably don't even know a different Director Directed TLJ...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    cwustudent likes this.
  16. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I tried TFA-TLJ back to back. Strange experience. On one hand, it becomes one massive story! Otoh, it becomes one massive story. But then the prequels were that way, too, in a way. TPM is a bit of a stand-alone followed by AotC-RotS. I suppose the OT was that way, too. So I wonder how IX will feel, if there's (hopefully) a time-jump.
    I found one.

Brilliant! It would just underscore Luke's dismissal. I want to see that edit one day.

17. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Luke's face seems very orange in the scene which is at the end of TFA

18. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    While there is nothing original on the SW movies about crosscutting for whatever reason, it is one of the strongest points of George Lucas, the DW Griffith of our time. And his narrative signature survives in Disney SW.

Satipo likes this.
  19. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Which is good - I love the crosscutting.

Martoto77 likes this.
  20. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Some of the more distant shots from behind Rey are also somewhat cloudy. But all of the shots facing Rey are bright and sunny. Symbolism of Rey as the light? ;)

RJ does mention this in the commentary... With the extremely limited access they had to Skellig Michael (2 days well before principal photography started and I think one day later on), they didn't have the luxury of worrying about whether or not the weather was consistent.

Was home with a bad cold today so I watched both films back to back. Only two things felt disconnected: the cloudy/sunny sky during Rey's first meeting with Luke... And Luke's hair. :cool:

cwustudent and Satipo like this.
  21. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Ha! Yes on Luke's hair.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    the final scene of TFA takes on a different context knowing what's coming in Last Jedi. You see TFA without Last Jedi, Luke is a cipher. you see TFA and you know what's coming and you know exactly what Luke is thinking.

23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Tried it. Honestly, it was a bit of a chore. Doesn’t hold a candle to the ANH/ ESB one-two punch.

24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah rewatching them back to back, they really do not line up. First of all, basic story ideas (like how powerful the FO is) don't line up at all:

-It makes the conflict even more of an OT rehash than it already was.
    -Poe and Hux feel like they've bene totally retconned character-wise.
    -Stuff like The Map to Luke and Rey's Force Vision feel like they were just brushed aside.
    -Han's death and Finn's maiming is also completely brushed aside.
    -Leia is taken out for most of the movie, and does nothing of note when she is there.
    -Luke's arc is still awful and feels nothing like Luke.
    -The characters are FAR less likeable in TLJ and their "flaws" make no sense.
    -Rey making a complete turnaround on Kylo two days after TFA based off of a couple of Force Skype sessions.
    -Etc.

And it doesn't even have the excuse of "well it takes place a few years after the last one" like ESB, or a year after like ROTJ, etc. It's two days, TWO DAYS, after TFA so it feels like a like natural progression and more like the people who made TLJ not bothering to watch TFA beforehand.

I said after TFA came out that it would depend a lot on it's sequels to judge it's quality. Well sadly, it looks FAR less impressive now.

Shadao, 2Cleva, AndyLGR and 5 others like this.
  25. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Another massive disconnection (the most unsettling one imo) is how Rey's motivation for actually going to Ach-to in the first place radically changes in order to fit TLJ's ridiculous deconstruction project.

At the end of TFA, she follows the map to find Luke and bring him back to the Resistance. That's it. She's not on a self discovery quest or looking-for-Jedi-training quest, it's a recruitment mission for one guy. Yes there are lots of hints that those other story lines could develop, but TFA doesn't explicitly go that far because they would need a minimal degree of set up. TLJ blows right past that set up and assumes that the characters already know the meta narrative of Star Wars just like the audience. There is not any line in TFA where it's explicitly said that Rey needs to be a Jedi, just lots of cryptic references for the mystery box. When you watch them back to back, the missing link is obvious, and it all stems from the fact that LFL doesn't see Rey as a real character, just a brand.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019