main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Watching the Star Wars Saga Eps I-VI for the first time

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Articulate, Dec 5, 2012.

1. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    To be honest, that's why I always advocate that you watch them in numerical order. Because as great as "I am your father is," it doesn't fundamentally change anything about the characters. Luke is still Luke -- he's the same Luke he's always been and his parentage doesn't change who he is. Just like Vader is still Vader and still responsible for his evil deeds regardless of the fact that he is the protagonists' father. But ROTS takes our characters in directions that are very rare for children's entertainment -- especially Anakin, which is why I think I'm so fascinated by his character.

Maybe adults would cotton on to the fact that Anakin was going to fall...I don't know. But I think it's tough for kids to envision that or, at least, it was for me.

2. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I can't think of any either. Even in mythology/classic literature, a tragic hero's fall usually means, literally, death (sometimes suicide after committing some heinous act such as Othello). Was there any other saga where an essentially good guy turns into pure evil and stays evil for half of the story?

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    One thing I like about 4-5, 1-3, 6 theory is that, oddly, a lot of the setup of ROTS, aside from Obi-Wan & Vader facing off again about halfway through ep. 4, actually pays off in Jedi. Because ROTS builds up the Emperor as the main, big bad guy especially by the end and then he kinda disappears for 2 movies, so that payoff is more immediate. And you can wrap your head around Vader's conflict in Ep. 6 if you come out of the PT directly into it. Also, really, really long Anakin Skywalker in his prime flashback I think is just a cool and interesting way to do it. I love Sith but it's not a very complete ending, it's transitional, it's a cliffhanger, it's a downer, so get closer to the redemption in ROTJ on the heels of that.

Jair Crawford likes this.
  4. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Oh! Another question: Did you ever suspect that Palpatine was Darth Sideous or Sideous's sith apprentice or a politician that Sideous was influencing or none of the above?

5. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    No, I didn't realize Palpatine was Darth Sidious or related to the Sith until ROTS. Part of this I'll attribute to the fact that I didn't ruminate on the topic much at all. But there's also the fact that Palpatine was a rather minor character, so the thought never popped into my head that he and Sidious were one in the same.

That said, I was rather perturbed when Palpatine ordered Anakin to kill Dooku and by the time he and Anakin had their chat at the opera, I figured it out. It didn't surprise me nearly on the same level as Anakin's turn, though, since it was a much more conventional plot twist.

6. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    It's interesting to hear that people who watch the whole way through for the first time don't recognize the mouth, nose and voice of Sidious as similar to Palpatine's...mainly the mouth. It always bothered me that Lucas allowed the audience to see the bottom half of Sidious's face, because I always thought it looked rather obviously like Palpatine.

Random Comments likes this.
  7. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Too nice? That kid was trouble from the time Qui Gon walked into Wattos shop. Anakin is the same person in all 6 movies. He is over confident, demanding, insecure, arrogant, loyal to loved ones, confused. Look at how he talks at Qui Gon at the dinner table, look at how he talks to Sebulba to his face, listen to how he questions Yoda in the console, look at that mean mug he gives Mace when Mace Rejects him, Maybe they should have left the greeda beatdown scene in?

8. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    They basically tell the audiece that Palpatine is the dark lord at Qui Gons funeral.

9. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    Yes, that's the other thing that bothered me. But I'm amazed at how many casual viewers (non-star wars hardcores) came away from TPM not making the connection.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    You tend not to see that when you watch the saga 1-6.

11. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Just like Anakin's moodiness doesn't seem like foreshadowing of his fall.

12. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    There's a difference between moodiness and having the same lower face and voice of another character

13. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    What are you referring to?

14. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    Recognizing that Sidious is Palpatine

15. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Oh, that. I don't think first time viewers notice this until ROTS. You don't normally look at the chin when you see a person's face in full.

16. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm still astounded. I mean there's also the mouth, the nose, the voice, and the fact that usually in mysteries, people try to guess who the mystery culprit is, so one would think you'd be looking for those features in other characters

17. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
  18. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    What can I say, I guess we need to conduct an experiment with a statistically significant number of Star Wars 'virgins' to see what the result is. I doubt kids will catch it though.

19. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    So far, with PiettsHat, the score is 1-0, "Not Catching"

20. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    None of the kids I watched it with caught it during TPM. One claimed to realize it during AOTC though.

21. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    Sidious was only in one scene as Sidious in that movie. Was it during that ending scene?

22. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    I don't know. I didn't ask questions until after the end of ROTJ; I asked them whether they figured out that Palpatine and Darth Sidious were the same person during TPM, and they all said no, but one of them added that she figured it out during the second movie.

23. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    In all honesty, I might have stood a better chance of catching it if I had had a three-year waiting period between finishing TPM and starting AOTC.

As it was, my thoughts were more along the lines of "LET'S WATCH THE NEXT ONE!" than anything else. :p

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Sidious was in no less than five scenes.

25. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    As Palpatine, but as Sidious, he only in that one scene at the end when Dooku arrived back in Coruscant