main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Watching the Wheels--A Happy Birthday! Vignette for dianethx

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LuvEwan, Oct 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Watching the Wheels
    A Happy Birthday! Vignette for dianethx by LuvEwan

G

Master and apprentice on a rainy day.

Disclaimer: Nothing belongs to me

Main Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn; Obi-Wan Kenobi

Okay, diane, you said happy endings were important to you, so I decided I better give you one some way. You?re a very bright presence on these boards, and I want to thank you for your support during a rough time for me. You?re an incredibly talented writer and I feel very privileged to know you, and very privileged to read your amazing works. HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I?m just sitting here watching the wheels
    Go round and round
    I really love to watch them roll

No longer riding on the merry-go-round
    I just had to let it go
    . ?John Lennon

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

The wind rapped softly at the window, drawing the covers tighter around the Master?s form, as though the chill had trespassed the very walls. He burrowed deep in downy warmth and waited for the heaviness of sleep to claim him again. Thoughts tried to clamp on, of the day?s endless schedule and when the latest mission report would need to be completed and which kata level would be the focus of the next lesson, but he sank deeper in the ether, and allowed himself to be lulled by nature?s mild rhythm.

He lay in that twilight while morning swelled around him. Blissfully, the sun had been swallowed by the clouds, and its customary glare was replaced by a quiet gray ambience. It was a dim dawn setting lazily in his bones.

Qui-Gon sighed. He had reserved a section of the Temple arena for an offense-intense spar between he and Obi-Wan. They would need to begin in an hour. An hour-or sooner. Yes. He would have to prepare breakfast, wake Obi-Wan?and worst of all, he would have to crawl out of bed. The Temple was always colder in the morning.

And it was warmer here, knowing the rain poured a cool mist outside.

Warm, and quiet and?.

\/\/\/

His eyes slid open. The shadows on the walls were unchanged, but he knew time had passed?mostly due to the ache creeping up his neck and back. He was lingering too long. ?Delaying the inevitable?, as they said.

But why did it have to be inevitable? Who decided that he should wake at this unnatural hour and be forced into the bracing winds? Forget the winds?why should he be forced out of this bed?

Qui-Gon sighed and threw his forearm over his eyes. A terrible conflict spiked in his mind.

He really should get up. What use would he get out of a few more minutes of sleep? The rational thing to do was to abandon fantasy and refocus, throw the covers aside and slap his feet down on the floor?

\/\/\/

There was a sound.

He drifted up and heard remnants of faraway murmuring. A scowl creased his face.

?Mmph.? He cried out, hoping it would be heard, and understood that he wanted silence.

The noise persisted, so he turned his face against the pillow, back against the annoyance.

Another jolt through the quiet waters of his mind. He groaned, but still resisted defeat. He was a renegade among the Jedi-- he needed to uphold his reputation somehow.

?Master??

A rasping cacophony of curses swarmed his head. It was the one weakness that could worm its way through the most stubborn shields. The call he couldn?t ignore. Qui-Gon battled the dark pull of sleep, and eventually, was successful in opening one eye.

Obi-Wan?s face was smeared, but recognizable.

?What is it?? He asked in a clumsy, breathless voice. ?What?what?s wrong??

There was a slight hesitation. ?Nothing?s wrong, it?s just??

?What?? Qui-Gon pushed, although it was heard more as ?Wha??

?We were supposed to start the spar ten minutes ago.?

?But?it?s raining, Obi-Wan.?

?I know, Master. But the arena?s inside.?

?Yes, but it?s cold.?

?And that?s why the arena has heaters.?

Qui-Gon blinked, and peeled his other eye open. Obi-Wan was standing beside the bed, fully dressed, hands behind his back. A piece of glaring evidence, that perhaps the Master would not be allowed

2. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh this was great!!! hehehehe these were my fav parts! How conniving was Jinn! *snrk* and how sweet of Obi not to disagree ;) hehehe

?However,? Qui-Gon intervened, ?If you promise to take it easy, I won?t send you to the healers.? Inwardly, he smirked, aware he just nicked a well-known bane of his student, and thus secured beloved victory.

?Thank you, Master,? Obi-Wan replied quickly, as though he were afraid the older Jedi would have a sudden change of heart, ?I won?t leave the apartment.?

?Good, good,? Qui-Gon drummed his fingers, ?Better still, fetch your pillow and those ridiculous vids you like. I want to keep an eye on you, in case you worsen.?

With a grave nod, Obi-Wan obeyed.

?And Obi-Wan, why don?t you grab the package of cookies sitting on the counter while you?re up??

And of course:

Obi-Wan smiled loosely. ?I think I?m cured.? He whispered with more than a vein of sarcasm.

Well, Sith. Qui-Gon wanted to laugh out loud. ?I suppose I underestimated you.?

The apprentice shrugged. ?Not really. It wasn?t until I was finished marveling at how lucky I was to escape the Healers that I realized cookies wouldn?t be a very effective prescription for a fever. And that it would be difficult to ?keep an eye? on me when both of yours were closed half of the day.?

This time, Qui-Gon did laugh. ?I fear I?ve trained you too well.?

?Mmm. Well, you saw your opportunity and you took it. Just like I did.?

?What opportunity??

A devilish mischief sparked in Obi-Wan?s gaze. ?To eat the rest of the cookies while you were snoring away.?

Qui-Gon sighed, rolling on his back. ?I think you?ve just handed me another win, Padawan. Chances are you will be sick tomorrow.?

?Probably not.?

?Oh??

Obi-Wan couldn?t hold back his grin. ?It?s not scheduled to rain tomorrow.?

Well done!!

3. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    and worst of all, he would have to crawl out of bed.

But why did it have to be inevitable? Who decided that he should wake at this unnatural hour and be forced into the bracing winds? Forget the winds?why should he be forced out of this bed?

He really should get up. What use would he get out of a few more minutes of sleep? The rational thing to do was to abandon fantasy and refocus, throw the covers aside and slap his feet down on the floor?

This sounds horribly familiar. Hmmm...oh! That was this morning!

Yeahhhh... [face_laugh] Very sweet, LE. [face_love] Qui-Gon was a good master today.

4. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Awe, that was really nice. Almost as good as snuggling in bed all day oneself.

KD

5. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Very sweet Obigon mush. :)

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    That was so sweet! I'm jealous! She gets a lovely vignette for her birthday, and all I got was a big 40 button my kids made me wear in public! :_|

Loved it! (and my birthday is March 2nd- hint, hint)

7. AthenaLeigh

AthenaLeigh Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2004
    Oh, that as wonderful, haha. The Master's 'dilemma' was frighteningly the same as mine just about every single morning. That was very sweet and amusing.

?We were supposed to start the spar ten minutes ago.?

?But?it?s raining, Obi-Wan.?

?I know, Master. But the arena?s inside.?

?Yes, but it?s cold.?

?And that?s why the arena has heaters.?

haha, loved that part, sounds just like them. Aren't you sweet? :D

8. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    That was nice and sweet. :)

I like to stay in bed when it's cold and rainy also.

9. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Hm, LuvEwan, you have to take that spy droid out of my bedroom! Though, in my defense, I DO manage to haul myself out of bed in the dark and cold most days...

Very funny, and I have a feeling that Obi-Wan knew all along & was just humoring an "old man." Next time, though, I think Qui-Gon might not get away with it! LOL!

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    OHHH, you wrote something for ME?!?!?!? Wow, I'm so surprised and very, very happy. This was lovely, LuvEwan, sweet and warm as that comforter that Qui-Gon clings to so well. I can just picture my tall Jedi Master snuggling up, thinking about staying in bed and sleeping away the day.

And the perfect thing to get his Padawan to accept it - such deviousness as concern for his poor Pad with that 'fever'. [face_laugh] Oh, to break out the cookies and that vid. :D

I loved this The apprentice shrugged. ?Not really. It wasn?t until I was finished marveling at how lucky I was to escape the Healers that I realized cookies wouldn?t be a very effective prescription for a fever. And that it would be difficult to ?keep an eye? on me when both of yours were closed half of the day.? What a Master con-artist is our tall Qui-Gon... [face_laugh]

I loved it. [face_love] Thank you so much for this. I'm really overwhelmed!

11. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Happy Birthday Diane!

This is a wonderful way to celebrate. I think I'll just snuggle under the down comforter and enjoy the temporary lack of rain- no cookies though.

12. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    This was really cute. I did that same thing the other day while it poured here in SoCal.

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Superb L-E, just superb!!!

14. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Kynstar Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. ;)

Jade Tell me about it. [face_sleeping] Although, usually I don't get up til about ten in the morning. [face_sheepish]

K_D Thank you. :)

o_e Thankee kindly. *tips hat*

VaderLVR64 On my birthday my brother and sister gave me a ribbon that said 'Kiss Me, It's My Birthday'. No one did though. Darn. ;)

Athena Thanks. [face_blush]

Master_Noi ;)

Renata It is difficult to tell who's sneakier in this case, I think. :D

diane It was my pleasure. :) Thursday morning I woke up and it was dark and rainy. Plus, I wanted a cookie, so that's what inspired the thing. I never ended up getting a cookie, but I guess your favorable review more than makes up for it! ;)

PK No cookies? That's a shame... ;)

Jedi_MasterJen Thank you! :D

Leona Aw, thanks. ;)

15. mad4dos

mad4dos Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2003
    nice little fic :)

mad4dos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.