main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Watching The World Burn (OCs, Jedi Temple Raid, Vig.)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by whiskers, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Title: Watching The World Burn
    Timeframe: ROTS
    Characters: OC Family
    Genre: Drama
    Keywords: Raid on the Jedi Temple, Family.
    Summary: A family watches as the Jedi Temple burns, and worries about their son that they believe is inside.

Disclaimer and Author's Note: The universe this takes place in isn't mine, but the characters in this story are. This story was inspired by a comment JOINME left in my other story. I hope all who reads this enjoys it!

Watching The World Burn

The scene on the Holonews is horrific, and it brings tears to my wife?s eyes. And it?s true that if it wasn?t for the determination to find out what exactly is going on, my eyes would be filled with them too. I watch as the burning building sends the pillars of black smoke into the Coruscanti sky that just a few days ago were filled with war.

?Fire At The Jedi Temple? reads the headline at the bottom of the Holonews network we?re watching, and all of the other networks are providing the same coverage with only a slight angle change and a variation of the same headline. What had once been an entertaining evening of watching comedian Greelom Shariik entertaining the masses on a popular variety show had now turned into this hellish scene. Flames ripped from the roof of the building, causing myself to flinch at the thought of those inside. Those inside the Temple, the Jedi that have been the main force in the Clone Wars, the Jedi that only a few days ago staged an extraordinarily rescue of the Supreme Chancellor, the Jedi? that included my son.

He had been a little over a year old when we gave him up to the Jedi, a decision that we had regretted at the beginning of the Clone Wars. The representative of the Jedi had told us that ?the best decision for the child, (we) should make.? Yet as I watch a piece of the roof of Temple collapse, drawing a cry of terror from both me and my wife, I can?t help but think that we could have saved him. I guess that in this case, the best decision wasn?t the right decision?

A reporter?s voice breaks the silence of the scene, his accent slightly tinged with the Outer Rim, no doubt a sign of the stress of reporting this story.

?We have received word from Senate Emergency Response that the Jedi have attempted a rebellion. At the moment, no other information has been given except that the rebellion, and I quote, ?Is being dealt with.? More on this new information as it comes in to us.?

We just sit there, shocked at the news that had just been said. A Jedi rebellion? that?s ?being dealt with?? Our son?s being dealt with? A thirteen-year-old child is a threat to the Republic? And there are even younger children in the Temple, babies! Are they threats to the Republic as well? At this news, my wife begins to cry even harder.

?It?s okay, surely the other Jedi will be able to defend him,? I tell her, trying my best to comfort her. Tell her that our son is still alive. Or am I just saying these words to comfort myself?

?Mommy, daddy, what?s going on?? came a voice from the door to the kitchen. I turn around from the couch and in the dark and through my teary eyes I can barely see my six-year-old daughter. She?s standing near the door, not able to see the carnage that is unfolding before our eyes. In a way, she?s lucky right now.

?It?s? It?s?? I try to tell her that everything?s going to be all right, that there is still good in the galaxy. However, the reality of the situation is beginning to sink in. The Jedi have betrayed the Republic, or that?s what someone wants us to think, and the retaliation has come swiftly. As the Temple continues to burn on the holonews, I call her to us. I know I should have tried to censor the scene from her, but the moment all I cared about was holding my sole surviving child.

I can see her watch the fire spread across the roof of the Temple, and I know that if I pull back the curtain from the viewport that I could probably see the smoke from here. Now she?s crying to

2. jaina_clan_solo

jaina_clan_solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    :_| wow, that made my eyes water. The destruction of the Temple was such a sad event. It is always good to see it from a perspective other than that of the Jedi.

You really did a nice job portraying the types of emotions that run through people's minds during these life-shattering events.

jcs

3. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you liked it, because I enjoyed writing it. As for showing the destruction of the Temple through a "normal person's" (albeit the parents of a young Jedi) perspective, it has been shown a few times that I can recall off of the top of my head.

And yes, it would be extremely life-shattering to the family in the fic, as well as many other people in the galaxy.

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    A beautiful and unique view of this tragic event! =D=

5. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    As I can see the spires of the Temple in my mind?s eye out on the horizon, only one thought goes through my head. I whisper into the room, knowing that the words will never reach the ears of its intended target. ?If you?re still alive, Jorec, may the Force be with you??

How difficult it would be to have a son or daughter in the Temple during this time! :(

Very powerfully written! =D=

Star

6. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    This is a beautiful vignette!

It ties in so perfectly with your other story, and I always enjoy fics about the Jedi's families.

Incredible work! :)

Ani-maniac

7. ZekksGoddess

ZekksGoddess Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    Amazing job...that was beautifully tragic. Loved the characters you've created...excellent, excellent work! =D=

8. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Oh....this was so sad!
    :_|
    I wrote a fic about the purge from the Jedi's POV and I know many others who have but I never thought of the POV of a family who had given their child to the Jedi.
    Wonderfully done!
    =D=

9. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    VaderLVR64

Thank you very much for the comments.

Star_Drifter

I imagine that it would be very hard to see this, especially if the parents believe that their child is in the Temple.

Ani-Maniac

Glad you caught that. I enjoyed revisting these characters. And even though you and I know that their son isn't actually dead, it doesn't make the family's pain any less real.

ZekksGoddess

Thank you. I enjoyed writing these characters.

Alley_Skywalker

Well, I'm certainly not the first at writing the parent's POV. I'm just glad that some people enjoyed reading my take on the subject.

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ohh, that was so very sad and tragic. Definitely brings tears. :( :(

11. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    Thanks very much for the compliments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.