main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Watchmen......................................................2

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by VadersLaMent, Dec 1, 2011.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    [image=http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp39/darthramza/Whatisthisidonteven.jpg]

I don't know what's more ridiculous - that this is happening, or that Gibbons is involved.

3. Scummy

Scummy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    It could be good. I guess. I doubt I'll read them unless the reviews are just really positive.

Scummy

4. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    [image=http://livingincinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/watchmen-babies.jpg]

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    My connection to Watchmen is thus:

The owner and manager of the comics store I went to in my youth had a radio show and they asked trivia questions. On one show they had the Watchmen comics(at that time only 1 thru 7 were out) as a prize and I was able to answer said question and got my first Watchmen comics as the prize. I got it, I understood it, I loved it. I even like the movie, despite a few problems.

So, a 2nd attempt. I have to assume the powers that be understand that they could totally **** this up. It's Watchmen. Arguably the greatest series ever. And they want a sequel. Again I say:

[face_worried]

6. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    I'm excited for this.

7. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Hey, I loved the movie! Especially liked what they did with Nixon's five terms in office. My generation nicknamed him "King Richard the first" because if he could have had 5 terms in office, he sure would have tried.

Don't read too many comics these days, tho. Current politics are entertainment enough.

8. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Bad idea, but I'll buy it.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I think we have to wait and see exactly where they are going with this. At one point there was talk of a Watchman prequel book that was tentatively titled Minuetmen, and was going to be set in the 1940s. If the intent was to do something like that, then this could be interesting, but its too early jump to any conclusions as yet.

10. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It's a series of prequels.

11. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
  12. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I doubt I will buy it, or give it a second glance. Not out of protest or fanboy rage, I just can't be bothered to care at all. :p

13. Vincent-Kenobi

Vincent-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 4, 2008
    I believe in Darwyn Cooke.

14. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    They had to.
    It is like not making another star trek/bat-man/spider-man/superman/x-men movie, no matter how badly the last one(s) might have sucked.
    They want the name recognition.

I expect this one to be even more awful than the last/first

15. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    The are some things (book, movie, game, TV series) that most certainly do not ever need sequels or even prequels. IMO, WATCHMEN is one of 'em. So all I can say is [face_plain]. Especially if Alan Moore isn't involved.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Honestly it's better for all concerned parties that Moore isn't involved.

Because given his recent output I would fully expect tentacle rape scenes involving the giant monster squid.

17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Point. There is that. It seems both he and Frank Miller have been partaking from the same *****, permanently-******-up-your-talent meds.

18. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Honestly, I'd rather sit through an all day Twilight marathon than see Watchmen ever again or a sequel.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    He was one of 2 contributors to the recent "sequel" to Dave Stevens's untouchable Rocketeer work that made me believe. It was a realyl cool mini, with basically fanfic from some of the best people in the industry, but Cooke's story convinced me that the whole concept of taking a brilliant dead guy's best work and reimagining it was a great idea.

20. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    Oh no you wouldn't.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Whoa there. You might dislike Moore's recent output, but it has nothing to do with Frank Miller's descent into madness and self-parody.

22. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    ....sigh.....

23. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    ehh..I mean what can you say? It's un-necessary, but then again what the DC heads say is true. They do have a job to keep titles and characters fresh. Still, it's not like Watchmen isn't available to read or buy, and it's sold it just about any comic or book store.

Big worry hear it that they'll lose the overall idea and themes represented in WATCHMEN. That they won't understand the characters and make them something they're not.

If it fails they should just give the rights back to Moore as a gift.

24. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    The fact that we kinda knew it was coming doesn't make the news any better.

This is why my comics reading nowadays is primarily Dark Horse Star Wars and IDW Star Trek comics, because of the things Marvel and DC pull.

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I fully intend to buy the Nite Owl book the day it comes out.

Yeah, I said it. Come at me, bros.