main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Watchmen......................................................2

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by VadersLaMent, Dec 1, 2011.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I had been thinking of possible terrible sequels to MAUS when I typed that, but, blessedly, it is a physical impossibility to do a sequel to A CONTRACT WITH GOD. So, MAUS2: BACK TO AUSCHWITZ or MAUS2: PALESTINIAN VACATION will have to do.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Maybe something about Vietnam POWs? We could have American dog prisoners and Vietnamese tiger jailers. And call it HUND! This @#$% writes itself, man.

3. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Maus goes Hawaiian

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I was just illustrating and it hit me... this title wrote itself: MAU2: AND THIS IS WHERE MY TROUBLE CONTINUED...

I'm anxious to see if that zany old Jew ever finished working on that roof... can't wait for Mark Millar to start writing it.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I agree with:

Ron Marz: "People who are upset about the exploitation of the Watchmen characters might as well be upset at the ongoing exploitation of Batman and Superman ... or Moore's own use of public-domain literary characters in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (not mention the sly use of non-public domain characters, like James Bond, in that project)".

Steve Niles: "Now, do I need more info on The Nite Owl? No, but in the hands of a great creator, you never know. I'll wait and see. I'm a little tired of the "Chicken Little" syndrome in comics. Everybody freaks out before anything is even done. I'll wait and see on the actual books".

Dave Hine: "However there are some heavy-duty talents involved, and I'll find it hard to resist that Darwyn Cooke Minutemen".

This gem of wisdom from Peter David: "The fact that Moore is so vehemently opposed to the other authors working upon his characters ? characters that are pastiches of Charlton Comics creators ? might tell you something about how L. Frank Baum would likely have reacted to Moore's handling of Dorothy. And if that's the case, people who stridently protest Watchmen prequels might want to reconsider the moral validity of their ire".

and

Kurt Busiek: "In the end, Watchmen is what it is, and it's there on the shelf and nothing's going to change that. So if people like the spinoffs, great, and if they don't like the idea, they've still got the original, as is".

7. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I agree with:

While some refused to go on the record because they feel uncomfortable commenting on the work of their peers (especially those who thought it was a "stupid idea")

:p

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    You must have read my Twitter feed. [face_shhh]

9. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I trust JMS to give us a good Doctor Manhattan story around 2032, a couple of years before the trade paperbacks of The Twelve and Grounded are published. Burrrrrrn.

Oh. He's writing Night-Owl too? Dammit. Let's say 2054. Our grandkids will love them.

It's so fun to be a snarky comic fan. I should try this more often. What the hell: I'll do it now. To the X-boards!

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    My personal views on the content/ethics of this Watchmen project very much aside, I do strongly advocate Peter David's honest disdain of Moore's completely hypocritical egocentricity & its clouding of his view of his own resume.

Not simply regarding Watchmen. While Moore has sequestered himself in his little bog in the middle of nowhere from which to safely cast aspersions and toss about criticisms of filmmakers, artists, or anybody who dares resuscitate his characters, he has made a living at revisions of other people's works.

Baum would have cursed him for how he handled Dorothy. While superbly written, Gentlemen is nothing BUT reenvisioned grasps at other creators' 'original' literary works... some of which are NOT even public domain. And, while I loved his run on the series, his arguments about leaving his original characters to their original form lost all of their fury when he scripted a dozen stories in the New Adventures of THE SPIRIT a decade ago. He really needs a more firm grasp on the reality of his personal 'originality', or he needs to cease prattling on to iterviewers, disconnect his phone and internet, and live in true seclusion.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Oh, I don't doubt that Moore is having a double standard here, and I've been saying this from the beginning. That doesn't mean cheerfully exploiting Watchmen as a franchise is a sound move. His past wrongdoings don't excuse what's happening now.

*avoids drawing paralells to Middle East politics*

Sorry for getting apocalyptic, just wanted to make the Israel joke. I don't think it's that big of a deal, honestly: just a little sad and SMH worthy. If anything, I hope this new series will draw in the people that saw the highly... successful... movie... vers... uhm. Damn.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm in agreement with your sentiment.

I had a conversation at SDCC a few years ago... coinciding with Moore's tantruming over the V film... and the conclusion I came to is that I thank God that Stan Lee didn't decide to go the route that Moore has chosen for his opining. The world could not contain the soundbytes if Lee opted to chime in on every usage of something he co-created.

Imagine your server imploding if Lee felt obliged to comment on every single tv series, cartoon, pajama set, film, toy, toothbrush, coloring book, in-series retcon, etc. Our computers would crash if we logged onto the internet to read his opinion on what was happening with one of his characters just today alone...

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Maybe that's why I'm so tolerant of these prequels - they can't be as bad as that... thing was.

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I was actually pleased with the film. My only problem with it was the use of Matrix style fighting which looked bad in many places.

15. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Which is, after all, more than we can say for some franchi-<WDNDSWITJCC>

16. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002

17. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Jay and Silent Bob selling weed next to the newstand?

18. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
  19. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Somewhere a soulless studio schill watched that and got an idea...

:oops: :p

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I haven't seen that cartoon intro in almost a year. Still hilarious. Hands down, my favorite 'blink and you miss it' detail is when they show the initial establishing shot of them as a team on the roof, and Manhattan is facing the wrong direction.

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I fail to see how Kevin Smith turning down a project is anything but a win.

No, I have not gotten over that terrible Daredevil arc.

22. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I was merely providing some info I found funny. I personally hope Kevin Smith never touches a comic book again, be it Watchmen, be it Archie. :)

23. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I did kinda like the bit in Kevin Smith's Green Arrow run where Green Arrow is talking about how he was a once a millionaire playboy, and had a kid sidekick and a Arrowplane and a Arrowcar and a Arrowcave under his mansion, and Batman says something to him like, "You've never had an original idea, have you?".

24. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    YOU'RE inasne!!!!!

Archie is NOT ****ing Mr. Welisby!!!

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Archie: "37! Veronica sucked 37 ****s."

Jughead: "In a row?!"